Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 03:12 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,801,433 times

Advertisements

This is why I don't watch the news. Depressing and completely scary but sometimes you just hear/read things without having an intention to so I heard about this earlier.

I was actually hoping to go to Orlando this summer (if I ever get the money) but now I'm kinda scared to go. Granted I'm not going to a nightclub nor am I gay but I am pro gay. I want to think that this is the only guy we have to worry about but I know there are more people like him. I know this kind of thing can happen anywhere at any time but when you hear about something like this it's difficult to not think about a shooter. It can even feel like fate is telling you not to go. I just find it so weird that I ONLY hear about this recently after I was thinking about going to that city. I'm trying not to think this way. I shouldn't be afraid to do things I want to do but it's hard when the world is the way it is.

I really don't understand why someone would do this. I'm extremely pissed off at the world these days but never would I think of putting a bullet to someone's head (only if I had literally no other option and even then I'd feel bad about it) I might want to kick someone's butt who hurt me but taking someone's life..that's unimaginably cruel. What goes on inside their head? And if they were targeting a certain group of people do they realize they're affecting many others in this world? Do they ever think about how they wouldn't want someone to do that to them? I know they have a mental illness but still I have mental problems myself and I'm not doing this crap. There are plenty of people who even have more severe problems than me and they're not doing anything like this.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:25 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,392,058 times
Quote:
And that's the key issue that many people on here are turning a blind eye to. They're just pointing the finger at his being a Muslim. He was mentally unstable. And realistically, it's not hard to figure out that a person would have to be just plain crazy in order to commit a horrific act like that.
Just read a report ISIS is taking credit for this and a Cleric has said it's okay to kill gays. I'm taking it with a bucket of salt.

https://www.rt.com/news/346390-isis-...ando-shooting/

Quote:
FBI have also stated Omar Mateen, had proclaimed his loyalty to Islamic State in a 911 call, and mentioned the
Tsarnaev brothers, who bombed the Boston Marathon in 2013.
Anyway. Godspeed to those who died.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,971,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VlCEVERSA View Post
How did 2 shooters with automatic assault rifles firing 40 rounds in a quick minute turn into 1 guy yelling out allah akbar?

https://twitter.com/bobkealingwesh/s...08128019718144
I haven't been to a nightclub in a long time, but I would assume they are still dimly lit with loud music playing. In such a situation, not everyone is going to fully understand what is happening. When you have people giving interviews while still in shock, and possibly drunk, there are going to be some inaccuracies.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:34 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,284,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I haven't been to a nightclub in a long time, but I would assume they are still dimly lit with loud music playing. In such a situation, not everyone is going to fully understand what is happening. When you have people giving interviews while still in shock, and possibly drunk, there are going to be some inaccuracies.
Just look at the San Bernardino shootings, originally they thought there were 3 shooters for longest time in that incident.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:39 PM

35,565 posts, read 20,909,470 times
I said same earlier -- but Orlando has been pouring out in love- and support!~ people just ran and got in line to give much needed blood,-- food water showed up before the administrators could set up- people are praying with one another in the streets- we are there for our fallen. The strength is showing our true COLORS City Beautiful Orlando!

The wannabe probably never even talked to Isis- he hated gays- he hated himself- in hell is where you ended up today. As Boston said do not even speak his name,. not worth the spit

FYI the food and water is for all the first respondents still there. Massive police presence, and all those standing in very long lines to donate blood- we at 90 degrees here today.

Last edited by tinytrump; 06-12-2016 at 04:37 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 04:04 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,674,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
This shooter was born in America, in 1986. Unusual - most mideastern terrorists in the West were recent immigrants. I think the 9/11 hijackers were not born in the States.
The Paris and Brussels terrorists were largely domestic born. In Europe their biggest issues are with the next generation being radicalized.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:11 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,450,596 times
[quote=Dd714;44385951

Shooter also appears to be a security guard with a criminal justice degree, possible licensed to carry firearms due to his occupation.[/QUOTE]

Well, that sounds like a "good guy" who became a "bad guy."

Old 06-12-2016, 04:12 PM

926 posts, read 974,937 times
horror. Isis claims resp. shooters dad claims nothing to doo with Isis. what a messy world.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:13 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,576,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
And that's the key issue that many people on here are turning a blind eye to. They're just pointing the finger at his being a Muslim. He was mentally unstable. And realistically, it's not hard to figure out that a person would have to be just plain crazy in order to commit a horrific act like that.
Or a radical Islamist. Radical Islamists kill gays all the time.

Are they all crazy?

Are you turning a blind eye to the fact that many fundie radical Islamists kill gays all the time?

Old 06-12-2016, 04:18 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,360,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I said same earlier -- but Orlando has been pouring out in love- and support!~ people just ran and got in line to give much needed blood,-- food water showed up before the administrators could set up- people are praying with one another in the streets- we are there for our fallen. The strength is showing our true COLORS City Beautiful Orlando!
The wannabe probably never even talked to Isis- he hated gays- he hated himself- in hell is where you ended up today. As Boston said do not even speak his name,. not worth the spit
I also believe his hatred of Gays is what drive him over the edge..and apparently his 911 call during his siege of that Club was no doubt realizing he was doomed..SO utilized the constant drumbeat of Political sentiment broadcast 24/7 in order to divert from his actual reason!

By all accounts..He wasn't a particular religious man..well educated..also it's likely he separated (?divorced) so conflicted and unable to control his women either.. Then again...he's well educated...had a job in "Security" had a license for at least small gun..not sure about his AK-15 ( with high capacity loads)..

Me thinks Omar was an opportunist..using ISIL as a cover for his actual HATE Crime he was planning!! SO Words have consequence..blaming Libs for this on it's face sounds silly..IF he was a registered DM..then why the He$$ would he be so?? The Dem's do support protection for LGBT community no?

A whole lot of Spinning and deflecting going on here..including conflating things to suit a particular agenda!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.