U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2016, 11:01 AM
 
4,788 posts, read 4,675,469 times
Reputation: 5529

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Brush your teeth before going to bed. And preferably before kissing other people.
The article I read said that he had done that. And I just remembered where:
Quebec woman dies after kissing boyfriend who ate peanut butter - NY Daily News

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
What is the issue here?

What awareness are we trying to raise?
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/woman-d...224724998.html

Quote:
She wants young people to know how important it is to carry EpiPens and tell others about their allergies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2016, 11:57 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 1,629,027 times
Reputation: 7974
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
You would think that someone with a severe allergy to peanuts would recognize the smell on a person's breath as they moved in to kiss them. I suspect that to save the deceased and their family some embarrassment, the facts of how the oral transmission of peanut residue actually occurred were altered.
Which raises a very important question (albeit in a very veiled manner).

Can peanut allergins be dangerously spread through sexual contact in any form, through genital-genital and/or oral-genital and/or any other types of sexual contact? If so, THAT should really be publicized to raise awareness of such a risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Northeast US
88 posts, read 48,440 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
You would think that someone with a severe allergy to peanuts would recognize the smell on a person's breath as they moved in to kiss them. I suspect that to save the deceased and their family some embarrassment, the facts of how the oral transmission of peanut residue actually occurred were altered.
Maybe I'm just naive about the new off-label, off-the-wall uses of peanuts young people are experimenting with nowadays, but I don't know what in the world the poster is implying in the comment quoted above.

To be clear I'm not asking for elucidation; I would never want to cause any embarrassment to any grieving family, ever.

Just wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't get the reference....? I know I am old, is that the reason, hmmm.



There does seem to be a big increase in peanut & other (or should I say, actual) nut allergies. When my older children (now in their 20s) were growing up, we didn't know anybody with such an allergy. And I was voraciously reading every parenting-related publication I could get my hands on, in those pre-internet days - yet nobody was publishing articles about peanut allergies.

The year my 15yo started kindergarten, our elementary school had just been declared a peanut-free zone in reaction to the enrollment of a severely peanut-allergic child for the first time. There was actually a little pushback from some families about this issue - perhaps especially because many are vegetarian and rely heavily on peanut butter.

This was eventually resolved by setting aside a small area - one cafeteria table in a corner - a place to sit and eat lunch for the students who simply couldn't make it through a school day without ingesting peanuts. This table had special rules (its own cleaning materials; wipes provided to clean peanut residue from the hands, etc.). I'm not sure how much use it got. Now (10 years later) the entire district is on a peanut restriction, and it seems the majority of packaged foods (not just here, but all over the US) are "made in a facility that also processes peanuts &/or tree nuts" (and may also name another common allergen or two). Well, I suppose that's been the case with processed foods for a long time. What's new is the warning label.


Anyone whose allergy is severe enough to warrant having an epi-pen (a) needs to carry one or more with them at all times and (b) inform their companions about the allergy, how to help in an emergency etc. I don't know why that didn't happen in this case, but I'd venture to guess it was more of an accidental omission or moment of carelessness than a lack of awareness - but obviously I'm just guessing. What a tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 01:40 PM
 
10,608 posts, read 13,397,132 times
Reputation: 17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia Dare View Post

The year my 15yo started kindergarten, our elementary school had just been declared a peanut-free zone in reaction to the enrollment of a severely peanut-allergic child for the first time. There was actually a little pushback from some families about this issue - perhaps especially because many are vegetarian and rely heavily on peanut butter.

This was eventually resolved by setting aside a small area - one cafeteria table in a corner - a place to sit and eat lunch for the students who simply couldn't make it through a school day without ingesting peanuts. This table had special rules (its own cleaning materials; wipes provided to clean peanut residue from the hands, etc.). I'm not sure how much use it got. Now (10 years later) the entire district is on a peanut restriction, and it seems the majority of packaged foods (not just here, but all over the US) are "made in a facility that also processes peanuts &/or tree nuts" (and may also name another common allergen or two). Well, I suppose that's been the case with processed foods for a long time. What's new is the warning label.
I've seen that warning on packaging for a long time.

Which is precisely why, IMO, it shouldn't be the responsibility of all the parents in the school to police their kids' lunches. Peanut Butter, fine but ALL possible nut allergens?

Foods the average person wouldn't even consider like Drake's Ring Dings? (in comments on this article)

Foods that are processed in facility that processes peanuts

I guess there were some lucky kids who were left in the "clean area" who didn't ingest foods from the "may contain" category.

I wonder what they're doing NOW that that warning is on everything? Perhaps refusing to let the students bring any food at all to school?

I think if I had a special needs allergy kid who was not particularly diligent I'd be sending them to a private school with very small classes or homeschooling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Long Island
8,514 posts, read 11,404,705 times
Reputation: 4770
Since everyone else is making jokes...

You know, they tell you eating just before bedtime is a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 05:18 PM
 
26,163 posts, read 14,478,794 times
Reputation: 17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire
That needs clarification?
No but its very scary that THAT LITTLE OF PEANUT RESIDUE can cause that!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 05:32 PM
 
8,071 posts, read 3,896,137 times
Reputation: 27632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
No but its very scary that THAT LITTLE OF PEANUT RESIDUE can cause that!!!
That's probably the kind of awareness that her parents are trying to raise. People don't realize how little it can take to kill someone. Many don't realize that some are deathly allergic even to airborne peanut dust. That's why so many schools have gone peanut free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 06:35 PM
 
6,307 posts, read 7,139,331 times
Reputation: 8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
That's probably the kind of awareness that her parents are trying to raise. People don't realize how little it can take to kill someone. Many don't realize that some are deathly allergic even to airborne peanut dust. That's why so many schools have gone peanut free.
Actually, according to the article, the awareness that her parents are trying to raise is the importance of those who have the allergies taking personal responsibility by informing those close to them about the allergy, carrying epi-pens and wearing med-alert bracelets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 07:48 PM
 
Location: NYC
1,665 posts, read 1,603,084 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
They do.

Do you have kids?? I can't say if I remember people having nut allergies when I was a kid, but now I know tons of people with peanut or tree nuts allergies. Including one of my kids!

Part of the prevalence is simply awareness. Another part may be due to our society's over-consumption of peanut products. And still another part may be due withholding peanuts from infants for too long.

One thing I've learned from having an "allergy kid": it's far from an exact science.

Never in my entire life have I heard of anyone having a nut allergy, or going to the hospital because of a severe allergic reaction, much less dying....until recent years. What the eff is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 09:05 PM
 
2,813 posts, read 1,400,122 times
Reputation: 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Never in my entire life have I heard of anyone having a nut allergy, or going to the hospital because of a severe allergic reaction, much less dying....until recent years. What the eff is going on.
It's crazy and scary how quickly the prevalence of allergies has shot up. (Or shall I say, "it's nuts!"??) I've heard so many uninformed people blame parents for treating their kids like "special snowflakes" or even accusing them of making it all up. Like some other posters, I remember when my oldest started kindergarten, a few vocal parents complaining because their kids couldn't bring peanut products to school. At the time none of my kids had allergies (and honestly I thought allergies were on the rise most likely due to parents over-sanitized their kids' environments) but I still thought, "so your kid eats hummus and pita instead of pbj at lunch--they'll live! You can't compare that to another kid DYING!" Then my FOURTH child ended up being allergic to peanuts, fish and dairy! It SUCKS. (But I was glad I didn't have to deal with the guilt of having been a jerk about it when it concerned other people's kids!!) And thankfully we're dealing with mild-moderate allergies. No epi-pens. But hives and itchiness galore. Oh yes, and allergies' good friend eczema. Not fun.

A simple blood test can detect many allergies. Of course, there's also the infamous "allergy skin tests" that have been around for years. I remember people getting those back in the 80s. Shellfish has been a common well known allergen for many years. How much is simply awareness? How many people had allergy attacks or even died before they knew they were allergic to something? Obviously, that's not the full answer. Nut allergies--and peanuts in particular--are definitely on the rise.

Even still, the causes are murky. Lots of plausible theories, no firm conclusions. Recommendations change all the time. Here's a theory that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread: Peanuts haven't been consumed by humans for all that long, possibly some of our DNA hasn't adapted to them. Much like how gluten and dairy negatively affect some people but not others.

This I know for certain, guys: don't be jerks about peanut restrictions. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top