U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 06:09 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times

Advertisements

Botulism, ya know... Folks are fallin'-out, all over the place: Botulism outbreak at Yazoo City Federal prison

It's even made the Daily Mail, although they don't have any pictures, yet. They'll have the best pictures, and the best comments section, if the story develops sufficiently: Botulism traced to prison hooch sickens federal inmates | Daily Mail Online

This is Yazoo City's biggest news since they made Miss Firecracker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-sknz8f9A

... or the Trayvon Rally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCKLY-0oS5o

...or maybe The Tornado (the Mile-wide One: not the 'regular ones'): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoRabHzYQsk

I've always wondered why people don't brew their own booze and save money, since all it takes is yeast and something sweet. I suppose this story answers that question. Dowager Soybean Empress called from 'The Delta', to tell me about this. She saw a TV interview with a health official, who warns that the Botulism in Bad Hooch can render a person so incapacitated that he could end up on a respirator for the rest of his life. That footage hasn't hit the Internet, yet, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 07:26 PM

8,144 posts, read 6,002,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Botulism, ya know... Folks are fallin'-out, all over the place: Botulism outbreak at Yazoo City Federal prison

It's even made the Daily Mail, although they don't have any pictures, yet. They'll have the best pictures, and the best comments section, if the story develops sufficiently: Botulism traced to prison hooch sickens federal inmates | Daily Mail Online

This is Yazoo City's biggest news since they made Miss Firecracker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-sknz8f9A

... or the Trayvon Rally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCKLY-0oS5o

...or maybe The Tornado (the Mile-wide One: not the 'regular ones'):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoRabHzYQsk

I've always wondered why people don't brew their own booze and save money, since all it takes is yeast and something sweet. I suppose this story answers that question. Dowager Soybean Empress called from 'The Delta', to tell me about this. She saw a TV interview with a health official, who warns that the Botulism in Bad Hooch can render a person so incapacitated that he could end up on a respirator for the rest of his life. That footage hasn't hit the Internet, yet, though.
First off.. You need alcohol that bad.. You need help.

But.. making your own booze OUTSIDE of prison.. While this is still a possibility.. It's really not as dangerous, because you can control the environment much better. I mean.. You're not filtering it through socks.. Not sticking it in the toilet to ferment.. Unless you just want to.

Anything and everything is dangerous. People who make their own cheese can wind up killing themselves.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
First off.. You need alcohol that bad.. You need help.

But.. making your own booze OUTSIDE of prison.. While this is still a possibility.. It's really not as dangerous, because you can control the environment much better. I mean.. You're not filtering it through socks.. Not sticking it in the toilet to ferment.. Unless you just want to.

Anything and everything is dangerous. People who make their own cheese can wind up killing themselves.
I see your point. Anything strained through an old sock, to then be fermented in a toilet, surely doesn't stand much chance of turning out right.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:11 PM

Default BREAKING NEWS: I've got the recipe!!!

That's right! Dowager Soybean Empress, my Informant in Mississippi, saw it on the One PM Report, and called, this morning, with the recipe!

"They said, Ketchup, OJ, and Bread, fermented in an old insecticide can."

What could possibly go wrong? Right? I mean, if you can't trust an old insecticide can, what CAN you trust?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
You have to almost want to grow botulism in a fermention so I am surprised at this. Furthermore, the spore that creates the toxicity cannot reproduce in an acidic environment which one would think a mash of ketchup and OJ would produce.

A typical beer ferments at nearly ten times the acidity that botulism producing spores can survive at. I am thinking there was very little of those ingredients in this prison experiment and it was mostly just a festering insecticide can of dirty bread.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:44 PM

13,477 posts, read 9,597,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You have to almost want to grow botulism in a fermention so I am surprised at this. Furthermore, the spore that creates the toxicity cannot reproduce in an acidic environment which one would think a mash of ketchup and OJ would produce.

A typical beer ferments at nearly ten times the acidity that botulism producing spores can survive at. I am thinking there was very little of those ingredients in this prison experiment and it was mostly just a festering insecticide can of dirty bread.
Ewww! So glad I read this at lunch.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Ewww! So glad I read this at lunch.
Well, if there's a BRIGHT SIDE, at least the brew wasn't fermented in a commode, as was previously assumed.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:12 PM

8,144 posts, read 6,002,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Distilling is actually rather dangerous in different ways.. You don't really have to worry about toxins (though, yes, you do.. But not bacteria).. The bigger worry is that it's so flammable and usually under significant pressure.

So... You don't have to worry about Barf.. you worry about Boom.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:34 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,630,885 times
They probably got sick from the food. But when you're in charge of the prison, it's best to blame the illegal hooch.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:28 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,884,310 times
Prisoners make their pruno with rotting fruit in the mix as well, no wonder they get sick from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events