U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2016, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Leaving fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada
3,859 posts, read 6,870,889 times
Reputation: 7344

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Whatever happened to that mom and the child, after the zoo incident? At one point, there were reports that the police were going to investigate her for negligence.

When I was a kid, it was known by all adults that toddlers could be gone in a flash; they can move a lot faster than adults, and can become fascinated with something and run off like a bolt in the blue. So everyone always held their toddler's hand when out in public. This was a general rule through about 5 or 6 years of age.

A friend of my cousin's took her small child to the zoo, did not maintain hand contact with her, and suddenly the child was gone. The mom panicked and went straight to zoo security. They began searching, and found the child leaving the park with a stranger, heading out to the parking lot. When the desperate mom asked her child why she left with that lady, she said, "It was ok, mommy, because she knew my name." The stranger had heard the mom talking to her child, learned the child's name, and used that to gain the child's confidence. It all happened so fast, somehow the mom didn't notice.

Always maintain hand contact with your child, especially in crowds!
Or get one of those child leashes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2016, 04:09 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 823,810 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
nebraskans are probably not the most aware people when it comes to understanding the potential threat posed by alligators.

The Latest: Sheriff: Body of Boy Killed by Gator Recovered - ABC News

I agree. I am Flo-grown, but that is like me visiting Montana and expecting to know the feeding habits of grizzly bears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 04:12 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 823,810 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I agree. Especially at night. I would not let my two year old into any body of water outdoors other than a pool (and even that would be under my close supervision with me right by his side in the water) after dark. To me, "no swimming" means no swimming, no wading, no being "in" the water. For a two year old to be in say a foot or two of water, that's like half their size - the equivalent of hip to waist deep water for an adult. For me, that puts it into perspective. For his size, that's deep swimmable water. If he fell over without supervision, he could have drowned. That alone could have killed him, forget the gator. That's why those signs are there. They don't want you swimming for a number of reasons.

But we know someone is going to take this literally - "but he wasn't technically swimming and there was no sign warning of gators" - and probably sue Disney or the resort and get them to change the signs. It's inevitable.

It will be a slam-dunk lawsuit, that's for sure. They will settle out of court for possibly millions, IMO. Sadly, I don't think that will ease the parent's pain.


This is the stuff of horror movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Northeastern U.S.
1,467 posts, read 895,094 times
Reputation: 2914
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I agree. Especially at night. I would not let my two year old into any body of water outdoors other than a pool (and even that would be under my close supervision with me right by his side in the water) after dark. To me, "no swimming" means no swimming, no wading, no being "in" the water. For a two year old to be in say a foot or two of water, that's like half their size - the equivalent of hip to waist deep water for an adult. For me, that puts it into perspective. For his size, that's deep swimmable water. If he fell over without supervision, he could have drowned. That alone could have killed him, forget the gator. That's why those signs are there. They don't want you swimming for a number of reasons.

But we know someone is going to take this literally - "but he wasn't technically swimming and there was no sign warning of gators" - and probably sue Disney or the resort and get them to change the signs. It's inevitable.

Actually, if I were a parent with an active toddler and were at a beach on a warm night and saw signs saying 'no swimming', I might think it was okay to accompany him wading at the perimeter of the shallow water, just getting his feet wet. (although I personally know that there are alligators in possibly all of Florida's bodies of water, perhaps this family, being from Nebraska, did not realize that). I think they might have an actionable claim against Disney; though I am not a lawyer and have no inkling of whatever case law might be pertinent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 05:37 PM
 
12,651 posts, read 10,492,420 times
Reputation: 17539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Actually, if I were a parent with an active toddler and were at a beach on a warm night and saw signs saying 'no swimming', I might think it was okay to accompany him wading at the perimeter of the shallow water, just getting his feet wet. (although I personally know that there are alligators in possibly all of Florida's bodies of water, perhaps this family, being from Nebraska, did not realize that). I think they might have an actionable claim against Disney; though I am not a lawyer and have no inkling of whatever case law might be pertinent.
I honestly would not, but I am a very cautious person by nature who really analyzes things to death. I realize I'm in the minority. Most people would probably not think twice, like these parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Northeastern U.S.
1,467 posts, read 895,094 times
Reputation: 2914
I believe the lagoon was manmade. Was it self-contained or connected to a river or marsh? If self-contained, why would Disney allow alligators in it, and then have events on the beach where kids might decide to run into the water? Or is that just normally done everywhere in Florida where there are alligators? But if the lagoon is self-contained, not connected to any other waterway; I don't understand why a family entertainment resort would stock it with alligators...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 07:38 PM
 
4,686 posts, read 2,315,197 times
Reputation: 6165
I don't think alligators are 'stocked'. Alligators go wherever they want to. I was in a park in Florida some years ago and went to a rec center, then walked the grounds of the center some 50 feet away and there were a bunch of gators on the grass right where there were benches for visitors. I don't remember seeing any signs but I really didn't stick around long enough to care...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 07:55 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
19,836 posts, read 18,845,295 times
Reputation: 33741
When I used to go to Florida I didn't go near the water. Alligators, sharks, Man O' War (poisonous jellyfish)--but that's ME. I read up about that stuff before I went. Where I live, if I ever see seals in the ocean, I'm not going swimming because they attract sharks.

A lot of people today deal with too many fake theme parks and fake stuff on computers, not real life nature. They think a bear is "cute" when they're in a national park. They think it's a movie or a tv show.

Combine the naive attitude of many people today with the fact that they were in HOT Florida where a kid would definitely want to go into the water to cool off, the sign said no SWIMMING but probably the kid was just wading, not swimming. The family was in a make believe theme park so they didn't read up on real life things like alligators. It all adds up and sooner or later something like this was bound to happen.

I don't think it's really anybody's fault but I do think that Disney needs to post more specific signs rather than just "No Swimming." It should have said, "DANGER! Alligators! Stay out of the water." But maybe that's just too realistic and they know that today's people want to live in a fantasy world, far removed from nature and real life.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times
Reputation: 30838
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
And don't allow a younger child, say 11 or 12, to watch the toddler either.
That depends. My mom used to leave me with my sister once in a while when she was 12. I was a pretty quiet kid and my sister knew she was responsible for my welfare. Nothing bad happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:26 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Reputation: 30796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I believe the lagoon was manmade. Was it self-contained or connected to a river or marsh? If self-contained, why would Disney allow alligators in it, and then have events on the beach where kids might decide to run into the water? Or is that just normally done everywhere in Florida where there are alligators? But if the lagoon is self-contained, not connected to any other waterway; I don't understand why a family entertainment resort would stock it with alligators...
I planted a new tree because my old tree was full of birds and I had to chop it down. Then after a year I look up into my new tree and sure enough there were birds in it. One even built a nest. I still wonder who stocked my tree with those birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top