Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:35 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,936,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
True, but let's not go overboard and conclude that warning signs are therefore useless. We hear about the morons who Darwinize themselves because they ignored the warning signs. In contrast, we don't know how many people DID read the warning sign and heed it, and so avoided doing something dangerous. The latter incident understandably does not make the news.

If someone dies because they were ignorant of an avoidable danger, that is a tragedy. If someone dies because they did something stupid despite being warned of the danger, that's just evolution in action. Willful stupidity can have lethal consequences; that's always been true, and always will be true.
Haha whoa, I did not conclude that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 09:37 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,262,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
... like I said, there's always that one person... ruins it/changes it for everyone.
I think some people call that progress

Old 06-15-2016, 09:50 PM

35,564 posts, read 20,897,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You don't put a beach leading to water at a family resort and not expect toddler to wade in the water...with no signs warning of more than just 'no swimming'. Communities from North Carolina to Florida, South Carolina to Lousiana have fresh water ponds....and insurance companies, municipalities all require them to warn of the potential of alligators with signs. I can't believe Disney would not have thought this was a risk. I saw posts where other families say their children were playing.

Sorry -- this is on Disney.........they should have known better. They will settle out of court..........
I'm a native don't rem ever seeing a gator sign. There are 1.3 million and on the move. Walk crawl swim and migrates from one side to another. never saw shark sign either. My fear would have been bacteria!

Old 06-15-2016, 09:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,936,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I think some people call that progress
Depends on the situation. If a company or something has to wind up catering to one idiot who made a stupid decision knowing the risks despite clear warning signs, I don't call that progress. I call that pandering, I call it saving one's a$$ in a future lawsuit if it happens again, because another idiot 5 years later decides to also ignore clearly posted warning signs telling them not to do something for x reason. I call it babying society. What's progress IMHO is letting evolution take hold. We die when we let our guard down and do stupid things despite knowing the risks and common sense. What's progress to me is accepting and acknowledging personal responsibility in certain cases rather than trying to make someone else at fault when in reality we all know someone just did something incredibly stupid and there was no saving that idiot.

I am not referring to the case of the 2 year old btw. That was a tragic accident despite some stupidity on the parents' end IMO. I am talking hypotheticals, like an adult ignoring alligator warning signs and swimming in a FL lake anyway, which has happened before.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:30 PM

3,943 posts, read 5,055,668 times
No Swimming, Please don't feed the Alligators (or Wildlife)
or simply - Please, Do Not Enter the Water

That's not scary, but can get the message across.
Tick-Tock the Crocodile could make a reappearance.

Do I feel the family has a right to sue? ... probably not, this is an uncontrollable act.
I think the wading would be deep enough to be considered swimming if it bothered the gator so.

Should Disney pony up some cash to smooth things over... sure. A family got broken completely at a luxury resort. Any damage control would help.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:39 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,131,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They began searching, and found the child leaving the park with a stranger, heading out to the parking lot. When the desperate mom asked her child why she left with that lady, she said, "It was ok, mommy, because she knew my name." The stranger had heard the mom talking to her child, learned the child's name, and used that to gain the child's confidence. It all happened so fast, somehow the mom didn't notice.

Always maintain hand contact with your child, especially in crowds!
This is why I dont have kids.

Id like to know the real ending to the story, what was done with the stranger that was taking the kid out of the park?

Old 06-16-2016, 05:04 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times
This is indeed a fluke. All those years and nothing happened. BUT that is little solace to the grieving family.

One child is one too many.

oh and the whole personal responsibility. Okay so even if you want to choose the parents as being liable......aren't we obliged as a human beings to help the kids who have parents who might make poor decisions?

Old 06-16-2016, 05:06 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times
No you want to scare a child -- You want people to know that alligators might be there. It is scary. You still can play on the beach -- don't go in the water.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:23 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,598,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Whatever happened to that mom and the child, after the zoo incident? At one point, there were reports that the police were going to investigate her for negligence.

When I was a kid, it was known by all adults that toddlers could be gone in a flash; they can move a lot faster than adults, and can become fascinated with something and run off like a bolt in the blue. So everyone always held their toddler's hand when out in public. This was a general rule through about 5 or 6 years of age.

A friend of my cousin's took her small child to the zoo, did not maintain hand contact with her, and suddenly the child was gone. The mom panicked and went straight to zoo security. They began searching, and found the child leaving the park with a stranger, heading out to the parking lot. When the desperate mom asked her child why she left with that lady, she said, "It was ok, mommy, because she knew my name." The stranger had heard the mom talking to her child, learned the child's name, and used that to gain the child's confidence. It all happened so fast, somehow the mom didn't notice.

Always maintain hand contact with your child, especially in crowds!
What if you have three children, or one of your two children needs their nose wiped?

Old 06-16-2016, 05:42 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,956,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The recent animal stories of the alligator most likely killing a child and gorilla taking a child away, it's the reactions and changes that happen post incident which define the future.

Here is Boston, a Duck Boat killed someone. And now they are pushing through legislation for change. This is the sort of action that should be taken as swiftly as possible following horrible tragedies or extremely close encounters.

Bill calls for new rules for duck boats after fatal crash | Local News - WCVB Home
If you're a Democrat you scream for more regulation:
If you're a Republican you scream for more regulation:

When are we going to stop screaming at each other over the same thing? Granted each branch wants to regulate different issues (or different sides of an issue)but we are really just fighting for the same thing: larger taxes and government branches, power and control, and and losses of freedoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events