Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:46 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,279,568 times

Advertisements

The recent animal stories of the alligator most likely killing a child and gorilla taking a child away, it's the reactions and changes that happen post incident which define the future.

Here is Boston, a Duck Boat killed someone. And now they are pushing through legislation for change. This is the sort of action that should be taken as swiftly as possible following horrible tragedies or extremely close encounters.

Bill calls for new rules for duck boats after fatal crash | Local News - WCVB Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 12:13 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Whatever happened to that mom and the child, after the zoo incident? At one point, there were reports that the police were going to investigate her for negligence.

When I was a kid, it was known by all adults that toddlers could be gone in a flash; they can move a lot faster than adults, and can become fascinated with something and run off like a bolt in the blue. So everyone always held their toddler's hand when out in public. This was a general rule through about 5 or 6 years of age.

A friend of my cousin's took her small child to the zoo, did not maintain hand contact with her, and suddenly the child was gone. The mom panicked and went straight to zoo security. They began searching, and found the child leaving the park with a stranger, heading out to the parking lot. When the desperate mom asked her child why she left with that lady, she said, "It was ok, mommy, because she knew my name." The stranger had heard the mom talking to her child, learned the child's name, and used that to gain the child's confidence. It all happened so fast, somehow the mom didn't notice.

Always maintain hand contact with your child, especially in crowds!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-15-2016 at 01:20 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 12:20 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
And now they are pushing through legislation for change. This is the sort of action that should be taken as swiftly as possible following horrible tragedies or extremely close encounters.
Not always. Just because a horrible tragedy occurs doesn't mean that it was preventable, or that someone must be liable, or that the already-existing safety rules must be strengthened. Each case needs to be looked at separately to decide what more (if anything) should be done.

The world will never be a 100% safe place, no matter how hard we try to make it one. And there can come a point where trying to make something safer destroys the very reason we go to that place or do that activity.

Last edited by Aredhel; 06-15-2016 at 12:43 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 01:30 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,550 times
Quote:
This is the sort of action that should be taken as swiftly as possible following horrible tragedies or extremely close encounters.

Bill calls for new rules for duck boats after fatal crash | Local News - WCVB Home
Only appropriate in about 0.1% of deaths. 99.9% of deaths are simply unavoidable human error or undetterable violence.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:45 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Whatever happened to that mom and the child, after the zoo incident? At one point, there were reports that the police were going to investigate her for negligence.

When I was a kid, it was known by all adults that toddlers could be gone in a flash; they can move a lot faster than adults, and can become fascinated with something and run off like a bolt in the blue. So everyone always held their toddler's hand when out in public. This was a general rule through about 5 or 6 years of age.

A friend of my cousin's took her small child to the zoo, did not maintain hand contact with her, and suddenly the child was gone. The mom panicked and went straight to zoo security. They began searching, and found the child leaving the park with a stranger, heading out to the parking lot. When the desperate mom asked her child why she left with that lady, she said, "It was ok, mommy, because she knew my name." The stranger had heard the mom talking to her child, learned the child's name, and used that to gain the child's confidence. It all happened so fast, somehow the mom didn't notice.

Always maintain hand contact with your child, especially in crowds!

And don't allow a younger child, say 11 or 12, to watch the toddler either.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:18 PM

759 posts, read 636,164 times
Quote:
The recent animal stories of the alligator most likely killing a child
Yeah they just found the 2 year old's body.

For the life of me I can't understand why parents would let a toddler roam in an area with clearly marked "no swimming" signs.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:42 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post

For the life of me I can't understand why parents would let a toddler roam in an area with clearly marked "no swimming" signs.
nebraskans are probably not the most aware people when it comes to understanding the potential threat posed by alligators.

The Latest: Sheriff: Body of Boy Killed by Gator Recovered - ABC News

Old 06-15-2016, 02:54 PM

24,457 posts, read 17,199,589 times
It is getting more and more dangerous out there and we have to be more vigilant at every turn.
That poor child and his parents.

In my neck of the woods we have massive amounts of seals which attract great white sharks. In the Summer we have tourists jamming up our beaches and the warning signs go up. It is amazing that we haven't had a fatal attack yet.
A guy did get his leg chewed on a few years back but he lived and luckily didn't lose his limb. He had waded and swam out to a sand bar far from the beach in the presence of seals and a shark mistook him for a seal. He was lucky.

Nature is amazing but it can turn to pretty scary in a second so be careful out there.
Sharks, gators, gorillas they just do what they do.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:06 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is getting more and more dangerous out there and we have to be more vigilant at every turn.
It really isn't getting more dangerous - but our expectations for personal safety have definitely gone up. And people are traveling more, which means they're less likely to know and fully appreciate the local hazards of the place they are visiting.

Quote:
Nature is amazing but it can turn to pretty scary in a second so be careful out there.
Sharks, gators, gorillas they just do what they do.
Got that right! We're not the unchallenged lords of the earth, no matter how much we might like to think we are.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post

I agree. Especially at night. I would not let my two year old into any body of water outdoors other than a pool (and even that would be under my close supervision with me right by his side in the water) after dark. To me, "no swimming" means no swimming, no wading, no being "in" the water. For a two year old to be in say a foot or two of water, that's like half their size - the equivalent of hip to waist deep water for an adult. For me, that puts it into perspective. For his size, that's deep swimmable water. If he fell over without supervision, he could have drowned. That alone could have killed him, forget the gator. That's why those signs are there. They don't want you swimming for a number of reasons.

But we know someone is going to take this literally - "but he wasn't technically swimming and there was no sign warning of gators" - and probably sue Disney or the resort and get them to change the signs. It's inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events