Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:54 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I honestly would not, but I am a very cautious person by nature who really analyzes things to death. I realize I'm in the minority. Most people would probably not think twice, like these parents.
Or maybe we just wouldn't judge this situation as a risk. Even after thinking twice. People come to different conclusions using the same set of facts all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 07:02 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
everyone is concerned with the lack of signs .. what kind of sign would be understandable to a two year old ?
It's not a question of what kind of sign would be understandable to a toddler, it's a question of what kind of sign will be understandable to the toddler's parents (who may be coming from places where there are no significant water predators and who may not understand that Disney simply can't keep all its freshwater lakes and streams 100% alligator-free at all times). Remember, Disney deliberately promotes the park as a carefree, child-safe idyll; people visiting there have different expectations than they'd have if they were visiting the Everglades.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Should every ocean beach resort have signs warning against sharks?
Are sharks common in the area where the resort is? If so, yes, put up a sign.

Don't assume everybody is going to be familiar with the local dangers.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:39 AM

3,505 posts, read 761,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's not a question of what kind of sign would be understandable to a toddler, it's a question of what kind of sign will be understandable to the toddler's parents .
I`m not in disagreement with you but what does " NO SWIMMING " mean to you ... to me it means " STAY OUT OF THE WATER " .. I don't buy the argument that Disney is to blame for this .. should all signs from now on say " NO SWIMMING because of possible alligator attack .. then the next case would be someone being eaten by a giant snake .. BUT BUT the sign did not say NO SWIMMING because of possible giant snake attack .. then giant turtle ,,.then giant mosquito etc etc ...

Old 06-16-2016, 07:51 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The recent animal stories of the alligator most likely killing a child and gorilla taking a child away, it's the reactions and changes that happen post incident which define the future.

Here is Boston, a Duck Boat killed someone. And now they are pushing through legislation for change. This is the sort of action that should be taken as swiftly as possible following horrible tragedies or extremely close encounters.

Bill calls for new rules for duck boats after fatal crash | Local News - WCVB Home
People just need to stop being dumb.

But since that isn't going to happen.. legislate away

Old 06-16-2016, 08:26 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Always maintain hand contact with your child, especially in crowds!

I have worked security most of my life & at one point even worked as a bodyguard. So for me I'm always very aware of who is around me & watching over my wife, etc. I watch mom & dads walk across the street with their child behind them & cars are coming towards the child while the parent has already crossed the street. And when the driver of the car honks their horn the parent/s go off on the diver of the car!

It's sad that not all but some parents tend to just let their child do whatever while they carry on with their own affairs. I've been stating this for the last few days the parent is responsible for their child no one else is. No park, no Zoo. No one but you the parent/s.

Children are quick we all understand this but we're talking about your child here it's YOUR job to protect them & watch out for them.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:33 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I have worked security most of my life & at one point even worked as a bodyguard. So for me I'm always very aware of who is around me & watching over my wife, etc. I watch mom & dads walk across the street with their child behind them & cars are coming towards the child while the parent has already crossed the street. And when the driver of the car honks their horn the parent/s go off on the diver of the car!

It's sad that not all but some parents tend to just let their child do whatever while they carry on with their own affairs. I've been stating this for the last few days the parent is responsible for their child no one else is. No park, no Zoo. No one but you the parent/s.

Children are quick we all understand this but we're talking about your child here it's YOUR job to protect them & watch out for them.
This totally. I am not sure it will ever sink in for those parents who more or less treat their children like fashion accessories and only pay attention to them if that gets attention for themselves.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Should we put up "Beware of Mosquitoes" warning signs all over the world since they carry a number of deadly diseases?

Old 06-16-2016, 08:57 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
This totally. I am not sure it will ever sink in for those parents who more or less treat their children like fashion accessories and only pay attention to them if that gets attention for themselves.

I remember reading something about a woman at a restaurant who was sitting at a table doing something not sure what it was. But her child was running all over the restaurant & the child slipped & fell & the pressed charges against the restaurant for not watching HER child.

That sadly tends to be the day & age we live in. Why is someone else responsible for their child?

Old 06-16-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
I`m not in disagreement with you but what does " NO SWIMMING " mean to you ... to me it means " STAY OUT OF THE WATER " ...
You know what you call a toddler who's standing three feet away from a freshwater lake in Florida? Gator chow.

A small child DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN THE WATER to be in danger from alligators. A simple "no swimming" sign is therefore insufficient warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events