U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 02:00 AM

1,210 posts, read 849,940 times

Advertisements

Just as a allied datapoint, the Navajo indians already have a similar dealeo:

"The Healthy Diné Nation Act of 2014, signed into law by Navajo Nation President Ben Shelly last November, mandates a 2 percent sales tax on pastries, chips, soda, desserts, fried foods, sweetened beverages, and other products with “minimal-to-no-nutritional value” sold within the borders of the nation’s largest reservation."

Can the Country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 03:54 AM

4,000 posts, read 1,796,115 times
I don't drink soda, so I'm good.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:00 AM

1,359 posts, read 779,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would fight that with every breath I have. It's damn hard enough to find healthy low-calorie foods at reasonable prices. Most low-calorie versions of brands often cost more, and it's not right. I have been drinking Diet Coke for years, and I'll be damned if I will pay more for it than the non-diet version.

Non-concentrate orange juice has more sugar in it than Diet Coke or other diet sodas. I don't understand why they're taxing just soft drinks and not Twinkies, candy, ice cream, fried chicken, pizza, any beverage other than water. Taxing diet soda is ridiculous.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:05 AM

1,359 posts, read 779,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Just as a allied datapoint, the Navajo indians already have a similar dealeo:

"The Healthy Diné Nation Act of 2014, signed into law by Navajo Nation President Ben Shelly last November, mandates a 2 percent sales tax on pastries, chips, soda, desserts, fried foods, sweetened beverages, and other products with “minimal-to-no-nutritional value” sold within the borders of the nation’s largest reservation."

Can the Country

Almonds and walnuts have substantial nutritional value, but if one eats 20 handfuls instead of one or two handfuls, they become fattening. Should almonds and walnuts be taxed; or more time be devoted to nutritional education of the Navajo Nation's (and other, non-native American, children) kids?

Old 06-17-2016, 04:35 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,820,009 times
Very revealing about where governments are headed. Are potato chips, pretzels and snacks next? How about candy, cakes and cookies? Donuts, ice cream, sherbet, Italian Ice? fast food? Bags of sugar and its substitutes. Will grandma be arrested for baking her pies? Fruits and juices? Red meat...hamburgers/hot dogs? ... these items in restaurants? The list of what could be next is infinite...

This is just another step in the control of big government, theft of citizens freedom and money. The potential for abuse is infinite.

Be afraid, very afraid... Wake up.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:50 AM

352 posts, read 123,114 times
That is very unfair! There are many unhealthy stuff out there, why soda?!

Old 06-17-2016, 04:59 AM

29,920 posts, read 34,517,946 times
Did you see the Mayor in the video? It has zero to do with being healthy.

It's all about the money. They might as well make it effective for all junk food.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:15 AM

3,174 posts, read 1,629,375 times
To all those anti-smoking fools who supported the tobacco tax, I say welcome to the smoker's world. They alerted you. They repeatedly ran the warning bell, but you listened not. They warned that once you gave our government the power to tax a legal product beyond the consumer's reach, they'd come after you. Smoker's predicted that sugar would be next on the government's hit list.

Well,.... they're here! Say goodbye to your precious soda pop unless you want to chose between it and paying the rent. Karma always comes around.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:43 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,177,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
To all those anti-smoking fools who supported the tobacco tax, I say welcome to the smoker's world. They alerted you. They repeatedly ran the warning bell, but you listened not. They warned that once you gave our government the power to tax a legal product beyond the consumer's reach, they'd come after you. Smoker's predicted that sugar would be next on the government's hit list.

Well,.... they're here! Say goodbye to your precious soda pop unless you want to chose between it and paying the rent. Karma always comes around.
quoted for when caffeine needs a prescription or gets a luxury tax.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:09 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,435,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Did you see the Mayor in the video? It has zero to do with being healthy.

It's all about the money. They might as well make it effective for all junk food.
lol at him setting health policy. He is fat blob!

The only people that should be dieticians or make health policy are people in good shape over the age of 45
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events