U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:13 AM

5,273 posts, read 12,383,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Politicians are in a hole
Cuz the money's gone that they stole
They're talking taxes
so bring your axes
Enjoy a Coke as their heads roll.
Very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:13 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,437,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Just as a allied datapoint, the Navajo indians already have a similar dealeo:

"The Healthy Diné Nation Act of 2014, signed into law by Navajo Nation President Ben Shelly last November, mandates a 2 percent sales tax on pastries, chips, soda, desserts, fried foods, sweetened beverages, and other products with “minimal-to-no-nutritional value” sold within the borders of the nation’s largest reservation."

Can the Country
I believe that this is a really good thing.

As stated in the bill, diabetes is a particularly serious issue within the Native American community. They are addressing a specific issue and earmarking the funds for nutritional education and assistance.

Also, it's a 2 percent sales tax. It's not what might amount to a tax of 30-50% in Philly.

IMO, there is really no comparison between the 2.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:25 AM

22,555 posts, read 28,516,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I don't drink soda, so I'm good.
I don't drink soda and I'm not good with it. I'm not good with politicians who think that it is the government's job to control what the people are allowed to eat and drink.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:34 AM

2,133 posts, read 978,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Did you see the Mayor in the video? It has zero to do with being healthy.

It's all about the money. They might as well make it effective for all junk food.
Our fine Mayor is a burned out, old drunk who people believe likes to dress up like a woman. It's true.

Anyway, I work in New Jersey, I'll just pick up some iced tea and Coke on my way home ... We don't drink that stuff much anyway, but I'll keep it on hand for when we do want it instead of walking over to the local store. We drink water at restaurants.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:45 AM

633 posts, read 460,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Non-concentrate orange juice has more sugar in it than Diet Coke or other diet sodas. I don't understand why they're taxing just soft drinks and not Twinkies, candy, ice cream, fried chicken, pizza, any beverage other than water. Taxing diet soda is ridiculous.
Lot of misinformation in this thread.

All beverages with sugar in them are being taxed, so orange juice will be hit right along with soda. its not just a "soft drink only" tax. Drinks that naturally have no sugar (water, milk) as well as drinks where the customer must request sugar to be added (starbucks coffee, tea) are exempt. Diet soda was originally exempt, but included as a compromise to lower the per ounce tax from 3 cents down to 1.5.

Pennsylvania doesn't tax groceries, but DOES tax prepared foods so fried chicken, pizza, hot sandwiches etc. are already taxed under existing laws.

The mayor and council have been pretty clear on the point of this tax. It's primarily (but not solely) to fund universal Pre-K education within the city. They're going this route because the PA general assembly in the state capital gives them VERY little leeway to raise funds for it. A soda tax is one of the few options that does not require approval from the (republican controlled) general assembly at the state level. The assembly has a habit of either refusing Philadelphia's attempts to tax itself, or wrangling unreasonable concessions like more charter schools in exchange for a cigarette tax intended to fund the school system. Does this bill have a health benefit? yes it does but this is secondary.

The citizens of Philadelphia generally support the tax by a 60/40 margin or so, with 84% feeling that Pre-K education is "very important" and 87% stating that a tax would have either a positive effect on them or "no effect" on them.

BeHeardPhilly Poll: Philadelphians Say Yes to the Soda Tax

The only other revenue source with more popular support capable of raising more funds would be expanding the liquor tax, but legally any revenue for that is required to go to the general school district fund and could not be used for universal Pre-K.

Most Voters Support a Soda Tax, Says Kenney Poll*

It's not really functionally any different than the taxes that exist on liquor and cigarettes specific to the city which also generate dollars for the educational system.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:52 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,482,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post

All beverages with sugar in them are being taxed, so orange juice will be hit right along with soda. its not just a "soft drink only" tax. Drinks that naturally have no sugar (water, milk) as well as drinks where the customer must request sugar to be added (starbucks coffee, tea) are exempt. Diet soda was originally exempt, but included as a compromise to lower the per ounce tax from 3 cents down to 1.5.

Pennsylvania doesn't tax groceries, but DOES tax prepared foods so fried chicken, pizza, hot sandwiches etc. are already taxed under existing laws.

The mayor and council have been pretty clear on the point of this tax. It's primarily (but not solely) to fund universal Pre-K education within the city. They're going this route because the PA general assembly in the state capital gives them VERY little leeway to raise funds for it. A soda tax is one of the few options that does not require approval from the (republican controlled) general assembly at the state level. The assembly has a habit of either refusing Philadelphia's attempts to tax itself, or wrangling unreasonable concessions like more charter schools in exchange for a cigarette tax intended to fund the school system. Does this bill have a health benefit? yes it does but this is secondary.

The citizens of Philadelphia generally support the tax by a 60/40 margin or so, with 84% feeling that Pre-K education is "very important" and 87% stating that a tax would have either a positive effect on them or "no effect" on them.

The only other revenue source with more popular support capable of raising more funds would be expanding the liquor tax, but legally any revenue for that is required to go to the general school district fund and could not be used for universal Pre-K.

It's not really functionally any different than the taxes that exist on liquor and cigarettes specific to the city which also generate dollars for the educational system.
I wonder how many of those that "feel" Universal Pre K is important would feel that way if they had to pay a nominal fee for it. I'd be very few.
In general, people think things are fantastic as long as THEY don't have to pay for 'em...

Old 06-17-2016, 01:12 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,940,169 times
Quote:
Drinks that naturally have no sugar (water, milk).

I wonder what they call lactose then? Regular milk is one of the more sugary things that you can drink.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:14 PM

6,456 posts, read 4,377,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
It says they're taxing diet soda too. The major complaint I've heard about diet soda is that people think they're being good drinking it, so they think they can get away with eating more junk food.

So, I think in order for it to be fair, they should put a surtax on all diet foods and drinks. If someone feels virtuous drinking diet soda, then they will feel just as virtuous choosing to drink water or unsweetened tea or coffee. So tax them all. Otherwise, this is just ridiculous.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/p...045527953.html
I guess they got jealous of Maryland's Rain Tax so they had to do something.

Not to turn this thread into politics but relevant imo: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE VOTE IN TAX AND SPEND DEMOCRATS!!!

Old 06-17-2016, 01:31 PM

5,273 posts, read 12,383,918 times
Quote:

A very fair minded post by an obvious supporter of the tax.

The question is, do we want to start taxing groceries (and eventually other non taxable items) to pay for education and other things? It's a slippery slope that once begun just keeps going.

As to the people supporting it, polls are useless as they are so easily manipulated. A vote of the people is what counts. I'd like to see this voted on. That would be fair.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:26 PM

2,055 posts, read 3,545,040 times
....yeahhhhh yeah 'cause I'm the taxman...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events