U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 04:07 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Here's another anti-sugar person looking to control everyone's sweet tooth. Interesting, isn't it, that he supported the tobacco tax.

Live and let live. Freedom to pursue. Privacy. Mind your own business.
All of these are foreign concepts to too many Americans.
It amazes me what people are willing to lay down for nowadays! Same with those that are fine with things like this as long as it's NOT their stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 04:14 PM

2,133 posts, read 863,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Yep and it is of course in a Pennsylvania city. One heavily taxed state as it is. It wouldn't have an effect on me, since I don't drink pop, but in Pittsburgh there is a special tax on alcohol and that does effect me. Yep, we have an extra 7% tax on booze at bars.
In Philadelphia, we've had a 10% tax on drinks for about twenty years now.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:08 PM

1,120 posts, read 816,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Politicians are in a hole
Cuz the money's gone that they stole
They're talking taxes
so bring your axes
Enjoy a Coke as their heads roll.

And when you visit the outhouse to leak

Pray double hard that your stream it be weak

For if you froth the water I fear

Uncle Sam will stick another tax in your rear

I'll admit this is a weak post, but it's the best I could do.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:57 PM

5,682 posts, read 1,714,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The biggest problem with this tax, IMO, is not that it is another move by the Nanny state, or that it is not being directly funded into obesity-prevention programs. The big problems is that this is a regressive tax: It falls more heavily on the poor than the affluent.

Is that really a problem? The regressive nature of the tax makes it more effective in improving the health of the less affluent.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:13 AM

1,296 posts, read 768,263 times
Steal whatever your neighbor has all in the name of the common good. This is the greed of how progressives think and act. Don't you just love them?

Old 06-19-2016, 06:26 AM

3,174 posts, read 1,630,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Steal whatever your neighbor has all in the name of the common good. This is the greed of how progressives think and act. Don't you just love them?
Don't forget "Let's control what the masses eat, drink and smoke because we are more intelligent than all of them. And we'll call it "a tax" so we can defend our position and control over them."

Old 06-19-2016, 06:28 AM

7,068 posts, read 10,821,088 times
Hmmm.. May be time to get out a Uhaul trailer and start smuggling in 12 packs from NJ and selling them in a clandestine-type system on the streets of Philly.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:56 AM

4,837 posts, read 2,145,909 times
How is it that the people of this city do not get to vote in these types of taxes?

I am so tired of govt deciding without the residents voice being heard. Put it on website, have them vote there.

Once a tax is started, it increases. It doesn't go away..

Philly is a tourist trap so I am sure they are counting on all the non residents to fund the pockets of the politicians.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:28 AM

8,195 posts, read 4,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
How is it that the people of this city do not get to vote in these types of taxes?

I am so tired of govt deciding without the residents voice being heard. Put it on website, have them vote there.

Once a tax is started, it increases. It doesn't go away..

Philly is a tourist trap so I am sure they are counting on all the non residents to fund the pockets of the politicians.
Evidently the meaning of "republic" is lost or unknown to you. Yes, while power is vested in the people, the people, in turn, exercise their power through elected representatives.

Voting citizens of Phila elected officials who voted for the soda tax ,and afaik, most Philadelphians are in favor of this tax. So that majority's voices were, indeed, heard.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:32 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,096,745 times
I would be fine with it of the money went towards paying for research for diabetes or some other health care issue. The fact that it's just being used to fund regular city stuff, is a joke. It's not about health. It's a cash grab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events