U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2016, 09:09 PM
 
9,238 posts, read 5,125,163 times
Reputation: 3089

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yup, unfortunately they will. Thankfully, Seattle's proposed bill fell and fell hard.
It was tried in Philly some years back and failed. So don't think it's over in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2016, 09:13 PM
 
9,238 posts, read 5,125,163 times
Reputation: 3089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I think there are much better ways to accomplish this, and it doesn't include a tax on soda.

What happens when the money starts to run out? I teach in Texas and we have huge cuts in funding right now. Let's check back in a decade and see how much funding the schools get, as cities are notorious for funneling funds into other areas.
Phila. schools already have funding issues above and beyond what might be expected from this tax. But discussion about that is too off topic probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 09:17 PM
 
9,238 posts, read 5,125,163 times
Reputation: 3089
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Excuse me....a "soda" is a glass of pop with a scoop of ice cream in it. It gets taxed most places because it is a dessert item.


And incidently, pop, diet or otherwise, is taxed just like food most places I've been.

In Philadelphia "pop" is called "soda".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 11:52 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,631 posts, read 2,493,118 times
Reputation: 9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Here's another anti-sugar person looking to control everyone's sweet tooth. Interesting, isn't it, that he supported the tobacco tax.


Live and let live. Freedom to pursue. Privacy. Mind your own business.
All of these are foreign concepts to too many Americans.

You are free to eat all the sugar you want. Taxes won't stop that. It will just raise money for health issues.

I have to pay lots more for my organic produce because the American agribusiness culture can't seem to grow anything without clobbering it with pesticides.

How is that different from sugar-eaters getting taxed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,510 posts, read 2,928,106 times
Reputation: 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I would be fine with it of the money went towards paying for research for diabetes or some other health care issue. The fact that it's just being used to fund regular city stuff, is a joke. It's not about health. It's a cash grab.
This. Same here. If the money went to public health, obesity prevention....etc, I'd be fine with it but otherwise its a general slush fund which I think is bull****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,510 posts, read 2,928,106 times
Reputation: 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I have to pay lots more for my organic produce because the American agribusiness culture can't seem to grow anything without clobbering it with pesticides.

Multiple studies have shown organic fruits and vegetables with pesticide residue, synthetic or "natural" approaching that of conventional produce levels.

Forbes Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 05:45 AM
 
3,756 posts, read 1,933,136 times
Reputation: 17871
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
You are free to eat all the sugar you want. Taxes won't stop that. It will just raise money for health issues.

I have to pay lots more for my organic produce because the American agribusiness culture can't seem to grow anything without clobbering it with pesticides.

How is that different from sugar-eaters getting taxed?

Government has nothing to fear as long as people like you keep supporting the Sin Taxes.

Apparently all you sugar-tax-supporters haven't once asked "Why tax soda pop but not beer and alcohol?"

Government needs money, you say? Maybe it should look at alternatives that give the taxpayer a break. I wonder how much money America would save if we canceled cable TV in our nations jails and prisons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
2,056 posts, read 1,952,923 times
Reputation: 3533
Not only is it a money grab, it's being mascaraded as good for people's health. The only thing good for our health is to get rid of elected politicians. I'm in favor of a monarchy like the Old Country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
2,056 posts, read 1,952,923 times
Reputation: 3533
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, and red meat, eggs, non-organic chicken, margarine, butter, corn syrup (no more pecan pie), pie and cake while we are at it, canola oil, farm raised salmon, and what else is currently declared to be "not good for you to eat"? Oh yes, don't forget coffee.

It's not the government's job to tell me what I can and can not eat. The "things that are bad for you" list changes every year and what was bad this year might be good next year.

Didn't the American revolution start over a tax on tea?
Indeed it did. When people actually worried about such things, and didn't have unlimited access to debt, as our government keeps rates for the lenders near zero. We have wrecked this country, and all of us had a hand in it. The elected, for not doing what was right for it's citizens, and us as citizens, because we didn't demand better representation.

I think the election in November will be one of those seminal moments, just like in 2008, when the worm turned for the old hat way of running this country. the new hat shows us just how much can be given away, and how much is taken for granted. Time for a new hat. one that is NOT from the elected class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 08:19 AM
 
6,307 posts, read 7,408,803 times
Reputation: 8069
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
You are free to eat all the sugar you want. Taxes won't stop that. It will just raise money for health issues.

I have to pay lots more for my organic produce because the American agribusiness culture can't seem to grow anything without clobbering it with pesticides.

How is that different from sugar-eaters getting taxed?
You pay what you do for things that are labelled "organic" because that's what the market will bear.

It's not a "tax" by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top