U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 04:27 PM

20,895 posts, read 22,484,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think you mean liability insurance, not life insurance. Life insurance would only pay if the deceased girl was covered by a life policy, and no lawsuit would be necessary.

In the case of the aunt who sued her nephew, she was trying to get his parents' liability insurance to pay. If I remember correctly, she lost the suit because she was not actually on the parents' property. She was on a sidewalk on public property next to their yard.
That's true. The suit was to try and get the insurance company to pay for something outside of their liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 03:07 AM

242 posts, read 167,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Had she been more attractive, perhaps more people would have noticed her.
Actually....I was once taught that people remember others for two reasons. One is fear, the other is attraction. You may be onto something here.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:53 AM

10,422 posts, read 7,508,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
A frivolous lawsuit that's just another example of the "blame everyone but those responsible" attitude that's become so prevalent.
Another example for the list of "what's wrong with our society".

Old 06-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Status: "We're all entitled to my own opinion." (set 6 days ago)

17,482 posts, read 8,589,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
So it was okay for her to get so drunk/drugged that she didn't know what she was doing----but the other guests should have all been "designated drivers" and shouldn't have been allowed to party and do the same themselves? Why isn't she looking inward and seeing that she raised a daughter who didn't know the meaning of moderation and didn't respect her body and her self enough to not pour massive amounts of chemicals into it?

Sounds like you're victim blaming. Didn't you fight this same argument in the thread about the Stanford rape?

Old 06-18-2016, 10:53 AM

13,058 posts, read 7,219,545 times
Okay I can understand suing the home owner but the guests? That's over the top. I'm sure if anyone noticed that she was in trouble that they would have helped her.

Talk about a buzz kill at a party if you're going to be obligated to baby sit every guest that has one drink, or more, let alone baby sit 100 people.

I'm sure the home owners insurance will pay something, but the other guests? Not so much.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:08 AM

9,902 posts, read 5,792,552 times
Become a recluse Don't make friends with anyone. Don't invite anyone to your house - for ANYTHING. Cuts risks big time. Maybe we can even get a discount with our insurance companies

Old 06-18-2016, 02:29 PM

13,465 posts, read 7,173,474 times
In this case the focus is on her being drunk. But many people drown without being drunk. What if she had been SOBER and drowned? Not a single guest notices a body in the pool? Everyone leaves and no one sees a thing?

I'm sure the host's insurance will end up paying something - after all, they threw the party and apparently the pool was not off limits to the guests. No one apparently told the women to get out of the pool while she was still alive, right? Does it matter that she was "drunk"? There is no such thing as shared or limited liability? I didn't read the link but what was her BAC?

Old 06-18-2016, 04:46 PM

3,140 posts, read 3,964,970 times
Mom whose daughter drowned at Hamptons pool party sues homeowners, guests | New York Post
This article shows the house, which is dated and skuzzy-looking. I thought everybody knew about this, but the Hamptons are PLAGUED with a certain social problem, every summer. Hordes of grabby little NYC nobodies have been headed out there, for decades, hoping to catch somebody rich, make valuable connections, rub shoulders with the famous, get hired by somebody rich....

This article, by some presumably classless zhlub who's actually sympatico to the "party scene", describes the "share houses" a bit. Hamptons Party Scene Found Dead, Locals Want Answers - Southampton - 27east Things have been changing, but not nearly enough: What Can Be Done to Rein in the Montauk Party Scene? - Curbed Hamptons

At first, these were mostly young, high-IQ professionals. Today, though, all sorts of trash goes out there. Certain people create what amount to flophouses, where mattresses are wall-to-wall in the bedrooms, and "guests" pay ridiculous amounts to come and "party" - all in the (mostly delusional) hopes of somehow parlaying sex with a rich person into a "dazzling career". The Drowned Girl is described as an "Aspiring Graphic Designer", who said things like, "Creating beautiful things is my PASSION..." Sorry, but talk of "following your passion", sounds, to me, like something you're told in an addiction treatment facility - or any facility/program, where people without real hope are taught to divert their attention from their insurmountable problems (addictions/grief/abuse/terminal illness/unemployability). Poor thing, despite the blonde dyejob, wasn't really even white. She was as dark as ME (but UNlike my family, she did NOT arrive dressed by Trillion, in twin navy Volvo wagons packed with matching Halliburton. Nor was she probably a genuine guest at someone's actual Hamptons beach house). No career, no money, no class, nonwhite.... she had no business out there. Her feelings of inferiority surely drove her to drink more, drug more.... whatever she'd been doing...

In Manhattan, rich/famous/powerful people don't really have the time to fool with you. The hope of the Wannabes is that, out in the Hamptons, on vacation, some rich/famous/powerful person will, in a moment of vacation-time boredom, gaze deeply into your eyes, discovering that you truly ARE special, and that, even though you didn't go to Columbia/Harvard/Yale/Princeton/MIT, and have NOT undergone years of development in the pipeline of (insert name of field of endeavor, here ____), he/she will take you under his/her wing, as a special-apprentice/secret-lover, that you might bypass the normal progression (Straight-A student, from gradeschool on, top student at a top university, starving intern for years and years, working sixty-hours weeks without vacations....).

Or, maybe, "some rich heir to a huge fortune" will fall in love with you, and you'll be set for life. (happens... But have you looked in the mirror, honey?)

Or, maybe, out there in all that roominess and sunshine, some star/agent/producer/director will FINALLY see your specialness, and make you a star! Or, some gallery owner will hungrily eye the bulge in your board shorts, take you behind a hedge to service you, and afterward discover you're a fabulous artist whose show/opening/recognition is long overdue! Wonderful things are supposed to happen, out in the Hamptons. After all, they happened to Sarah Jessica Smoker (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZPKfqgXb4A), so why not Fabulous Little YOU? You know all about it, because you've grown up in Brooklyn, watching Sarah Jessica Cigarette on TV reruns, showing you how they do it, over "In the City".

Or, maybe, you've gone through that pipeline, and because you're rather obviously greedy/grabby/untrustworthy/pushy/rude/unscrupulous - and you have raccoon eyes, an ugly nose, a short, hourglass-shaped torso, and long limbs - thus looking exactly like what you ARE, so you can't really fool anybody - particularly, since you sound like a cross between a Seagull and a chainsaw, speaking in an incredibly fast New York Guttersnipe MUMBLE - you hope (again, delusionally) that "out there in the Hamptons", everybody will be drunk enough, that SOMEHOW you will pass as a nice person, and SOMEHOW you will successfully impress the very people who, in Manhattan, instantly size you up as being too "street smart". (Even in Manhattan, employers want nice employees, not treacherous employees.)

So, I'm thinking that this poor 'aspiring' Artist/Graphic Designer arrived with some guy, who was footing the bill for her stay out there (even a space on a mattress costs ya, out in the Hamptons...). She took a look around, felt rather outclassed, even at that distinctly non-classy share house, and sought solace in substances. Why anyone would think that bunch of guttersnipes would have money to be sued-for is anyone's guess. Maybe there were some rich old horndogs who owned nearby estates? Maybe one or more of those rich old horndogs had dropped-in, in the hopes of picking up some young, free, skinny, DRUNK nookins? Maybe someone scrutinized cellphone pics, and spotted a billionaire looking to pick up a drunk skank?

I'd love to know.

But imagine having, after considerable struggles, gotten yourself to America, placing all your hopes in your child, who turns out to be, not a Doctor, not even a famous model, but, with middle-age looming ever closer, an "aspiring graphic designer/artist". Maybe she'll catch a rich man, even though even THAT possibility grows more distant by the day. Then, she dies in a pool, in a place where there are supposedly a bunch of rich people. Sometimes, ya gotta take whatever lemons life throws your way - and hope you can turn them into lemonade.

I'm not blaming the Mother.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:00 PM

27,364 posts, read 15,087,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
not so fast, seems as if little info on this is revealed. I think a host has an obligation not to over serve their guests and they certainly could be found liable if that guest stumbles away from the party and drives their car into a tree. Same thing if they can be shown to know they over served her and she drowned. Fancy pants lawyer will say that they should have covered their pool if they knew their guests would be served alcohol to the point of extreme intoxication and had a dangerous pool nearby. Seems like a slam-dunk award for the plaintiff and a massive out-of-court settlement.
I definitely think the hosts could be liable and especially if they were supplying the alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You're quite the comedian, but as a trained life guard and parent to competitive high school swimmers, I would never, ever have a pool on my property. Too much liability. Even competent (and sober) swimmers can drown, which is why I insist on trained supervision at any water-oriented event involving my family. Furthermore, I have insisted that all of my children complete life guard training themselves, so they understand the risks. Pools are unforgiving environments for lapses in judgement.
As a former pool owner myself and parent of a high school and college competitive swimmer - I can tell you I was TERRIFIED that someone would drown in my pool. Or get electrocuted. Or slip and fall on the wet deck.

I also can't tell you how many times I went in that pool fully clothed ~ after someone else's kid because the parents were drinking and not paying attention. I was the one that stayed fully sober at any pool party I ever hosted.

My son lost all interest in that pool after becoming a competitive swimmer - who wants to hang out at the house pool after you've gotten up at the crack of down to swim 3 hours at an early morning practice?

Was so happy when we finally took out the pool and replaced it with a patio. I could breathe easy again.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:37 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,973,009 times
The homeowner will be held liable not the other guest. Hopefully their insurance covers it if the girl had any potential to make a lot of money over her lifetime it could cost a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or