U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 PM

20 posts, read 15,629 times

Advertisements

Mother of Olya Lipina who drowned at a Hamptons pool party is suing the hosts | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
A mother is suing the owners of a house in The Hamptons and 100 unnamed guests for $40million because they failed to notice her 29-year-old daughter had got drunk and drowned in their pool.
Russian-born Olya Lipina, an illustrator and graphic designer, died during an all-night party at the house in Hampton Bays, New York in July 2014.
But her body was only found around midday as it floated in the pool.

The New York Post said her mother, Alla Lipina-Skyba, from Brooklyn, has filed a civil lawsuit against the owners of the house, Laura Edith Kreft and Daniel and Linda Finer, but in an extraordinary twist she has also sued 100 revellers.

She claims they were negligent in allowing her daughter to get so drunk.
The New York Daily News said a friend called 911 when she found Miss Lipina in the pool but she was confirmed dead when paramedics arrived.

The lawsuit says the hosts and partygoers failed 'to respond to and or seek appropriate aid and assistance for Olya Lipina.'
It also says the defendants 'knew or should have known that Olya Lipina was intoxicated or becoming intoxicated' when she entered the pool.
The plaintiff is suing the hosts and revellers jointly for wrongful death, personal injury, conscious pain and suffering, asking for $10million for each cause of action.
None of those involved were available for comment.
Very sad indeed, but I don't think the couple let alone the guests should be held responsible. She was 29 and well old enough to be responsible for what happened to her as sad as it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 11:38 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,356,638 times
Thumbs down  

It wasnt thier fault the daughter stupidly got drunk and fell in..... Im sorry to be blunt but its the truth!!

Old 06-16-2016, 11:50 PM
bjh

30,718 posts, read 23,780,760 times
A frivolous lawsuit that's just another example of the "blame everyone but those responsible" attitude that's become so prevalent.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:51 AM

14,310 posts, read 9,067,268 times
Like I keep saying NO personal responsibility anymore.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:58 AM

2,735 posts, read 722,537 times
So it was okay for her to get so drunk/drugged that she didn't know what she was doing----but the other guests should have all been "designated drivers" and shouldn't have been allowed to party and do the same themselves? Why isn't she looking inward and seeing that she raised a daughter who didn't know the meaning of moderation and didn't respect her body and her self enough to not pour massive amounts of chemicals into it?

Old 06-17-2016, 05:01 AM

31,988 posts, read 36,621,015 times
A friend of mine daughter and playmate were murdered at his house. They were sued by the other family.

They sue to collect the insurance money.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:13 AM

12,014 posts, read 16,761,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A friend of mine daughter and playmate were murdered at his house. They were sued by the other family.

They sue to collect the insurance money.
This. This could be a requirement of life insurance.

It's like that case a few years ago where a young nephew accidentally seriously injured his aunt. He was 5 or 6 and it was just a freak accident. The aunt's insurance wouldn't cover the extensive medical care she needed unless she sued her sibling and nephew. It was either that, or be several hundreds of thousands out of pocket. She got reamed online, but it couldn't be helped.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 AM

10,281 posts, read 4,859,674 times
Is the mother grieving her daughter or looking to profit by her death? Yeah, if she wins, which I doubt, she will have a lot of money but will she have her daughter back?

The only negligence in this case was her daughter's own stupidity. One of my son's has a tendency to drink a little too much. If he went to a party, got drunk and drowned in his friend's swimming pool I would blame nobody but my son. This is just another case of someone looking to cash in on an unfortunate lack of judgment.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:12 AM

5,273 posts, read 12,412,605 times
As tragic as this is, the lawsuit will be dismissed.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:25 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,456,845 times
Assuming that this case was taken on contingency- I can't wrap my mind around a law firm thinking that it would be a good idea to basically "front the money" to find and serve process on 100 people in what amounts, literally, to a fishing expedition. SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or