U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 03:54 PM

1,440 posts, read 3,572,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You underestimate the utter helplessness of wealthy people.

You must have met my sister-in-law! Just the kind of woman this type of store appeals to. She probably needs help getting the jar open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 04:40 PM

14,945 posts, read 16,541,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There are lots of things that are "stupidly easy" to make that people buy instead. Do you always make your own bread, cookies, cakes, etc.. How about grow your own produce?
Having done all of these things literally thousands of times (tens for vegetable gardening) I have to say that making your own mayo, even sans electrical assisted gadgets like a blender, food processor, etc., is by far the easiest. It used straight forward, common, inexpensive ingredients and takes minutes.

Bread, even hand kneading, takes less than 10-15 minutes of labor and can be mixed, kneaded, risen, and baked in less than two to three hours if making an unproofed, simple white bread. Also very cheap and readily available ingredients.

Cookies and cake have either more complex ingredient requirements and are sometimes complicated by extra steps/processes depending on the recipe (toasting nuts, melting baker's chocolate, sifting flour, scraping vanilla beans, etc.

But by far, growing produce is far, from simple. It is much easier to look at a recipe, discover that you need red peppers, then go buy them at a grocery than it is to procure seeds, prepare a seeding medium, germinate the seeds, select an approprite garden area, remove any existing plant life, rocks, rusted waste, till the soil, ammend the soil (preferably at least one year and thee to four months before you need your peppers), plant your seedlings, protect tour garden from rabbits, deer, and other varmints, fertilize, weed, stake your plants, water, watch the weather, go out and cover your crop with plastic at 10pm because of a late frost warning, water some more, nurse your remaing plants after that hail storm, tie your growing plants, find way to combat the aphids that are swarming the new growth, water, weed, fertilize water, weed.

Then three months after planting, start harvesting the literal fruits of your labor. Nothing tastes better.

Wait, did you say growing your own produce was easy? There is a reason retired people do it. It is a full time job if you want more than a few hundred calories of produce a season.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:53 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
You're confusing this store with their California outlet.
Don't forget locally grown!

Old 06-19-2016, 09:00 PM

18,276 posts, read 11,663,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Now, I wonder what it tasted like. I know homemade mayo is good, much better than store bought.

I'll bet many of us, our mothers, grandmothers, etc... can whip up a batch of homemade mayo that kicks the "artisanal" version behind.

Mayo is nothing but an emulsion; get yourself some eggs, vinegar, oil, lemon juice, salt and a bit of dry mustard; a bowl and whisk then have at it. You can break out a food processor, use various versions of the above ingredients (white wine vinegar, olive oil, etc..) bit the results are same.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:58 AM

159 posts, read 110,573 times
The things people come up with!

Old 06-20-2016, 02:04 AM

13,117 posts, read 9,205,456 times
Gotta luv that economic chaos caused by too many parasites draining the productive hosts.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:36 AM

8,621 posts, read 2,909,496 times
Hipsters don't like Mayo it gets in their beards.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:58 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Lol@artisanal mayo...
Yeah really, especially since mayonnaise is absurdly easy to make. Seriously.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:17 AM

4,910 posts, read 4,219,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There are lots of things that are "stupidly easy" to make that people buy instead. Do you always make your own bread, cookies, cakes, etc.. How about grow your own produce?
As a matter of fact, I often make my own bread. Why pay $4 for a loaf of "artisanal" bread that I can whip out in the kitchen for 50 cents? That's a no-brainer. With my bread machine it takes me less than 5 minutes to put it together and 3 hours later I have a nice loaf with no further energy needed from me. Mayo takes 5 minutes also, but a produce garden takes about 4 months, so no, I don't grow my own produce.

A whole store devoted to overpriced mayo, my absolute least favorite condiment, sounds pretty useless to me. No wonder they couldn't pay the rent.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:28 AM

34,571 posts, read 42,741,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yeah, I never heard of it either.
Can't imagine it being the basis of a successful store.
I had not heard of it either, but we have an olive oil store and a salt and spice store, so mayo is not that far fetched.

I adore mayonnaise, so I would probably buy something there.

By the way, our salt store sells ghost pepper salt, so you could add it to the $20 artisanal mayo and save a few bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events