U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:53 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,508,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't share most of his views, but you can add me to the list of people that will choose human life (children OR adults) over animals, as far as what is more important, any day of the week.
And that's fine for you, but telling strangers how THEY should feel is straight out of the pages of group think.
"That person thinks differently than the majority, gasp..that's just horrrible, what a terrible person THEY are !" That's the kind of crap I got from Shyguy and Luvvarkansas...and it's BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 08:44 PM

7,690 posts, read 3,846,888 times
Unless really hungry, a mountain lion will usually avoid humans, unless it has been a pet. Those are the most dangerous, as they have no fear of people at all.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:49 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,150,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
And that's fine for you, but telling strangers how THEY should feel is straight out of the pages of group think.
"That person thinks differently than the majority, gasp..that's just horrrible, what a terrible person THEY are !" That's the kind of crap I got from Shyguy and Luvvarkansas...and it's BS.
Can't you see? It's because the things you always say in threads such as these are absolutely inhuman sounding.

And I remember threads you've posted before about your life and they way you handle things emotionally, and I can tell that you love animals so much because you have trouble getting along with people, because you've been hurt so much by people. And that just isn't healthy emotionally. Not saying you are a terrible person, but that your outlook on normal human relations has been messed up somehow. The way you talk, it would seem that if you had to somehow choose between saving a child or one of your dogs, it would just be "Bye, Felicia" to the child.

Bottom line....human life has more intrinsic worth and value than animal life....yes, even the brattiest of the brattiest of all children has more intrinsic worth and value than your dogs. Seriously.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:05 PM

2,540 posts, read 889,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Bottom line....human life has more intrinsic worth and value than animal life....yes, even the brattiest of the brattiest of all children has more intrinsic worth and value than your dogs. Seriously.
Why? Please explain the value of a human life that is but one of billions upon billions of human lives that have passed before AND been forgotten by later generations? Why would someone else's child have more value than one's beloved pet? Why? I'm just curious. I ask even seemingly silly questions at times because I'm truly interested in the responses of people. I'm not saying that a child does or does not have more intrinsic value than someones else's beloved dog ...I'm just asking for meaningful answers from such as yourself for your having made the above statement.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:24 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,283,903 times
Quote:
Not true...these kind of people believe that human life is sacred and to be respected and preserved if possible.

And when it comes down to "human or animal", human wins. You cannot apply your reasoning to this situation...you have the audacity to say that someone who values human life over animal life will "quickly and easily descend into dehumanizing other people"?? No, it's the ones who value animal life over human life on these boards who do that.

Case in point:

"As long as I reserve the right to shoot your free range brats when they trespass into MY yard, we have a deal. And keep them from shrieking at 10:00 at night too, please and thanks."
Humans are animals as well. And humans are not inherently more valuable than anything else, at least not in a universal or cosmic way. But to humans themselves, we think we are the center of the universe and the most valuable thing in existence.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This has become a real problem in CA. They've made the big cats a protected species and they are stacking up on the few ranges we have in S Cal that have what they want, Deer, Turkeys etc. Way too many big cats here now. It's only a matter of time before more attacks. We're tracking something like 20+ in a range that should have just 2.
Humans acting like they own the world or something.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Can't you see? It's because the things you always say in threads such as these are absolutely inhuman sounding.

And I remember threads you've posted before about your life and they way you handle things emotionally, and I can tell that you love animals so much because you have trouble getting along with people, because you've been hurt so much by people. And that just isn't healthy emotionally. Not saying you are a terrible person, but that your outlook on normal human relations has been messed up somehow. The way you talk, it would seem that if you had to somehow choose between saving a child or one of your dogs, it would just be "Bye, Felicia" to the child.

How do you know human life has more intrinsic value than any other form of life? Is this truth floating around somewhere in space? Humans think and believe that they are the alpha species and the most important life form. But that is a collective human belief, a human construct, a subjective belief. Before humans existed, the universe and the planet got along just fine. We are the most important thing in our eyes, to us, but that is the extent of our importance.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:56 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,150,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Why? Please explain the value of a human life that is but one of billions upon billions of human lives that have passed before AND been forgotten by later generations? Why would someone else's child have more value than one's beloved pet? Why? I'm just curious. I ask even seemingly silly questions at times because I'm truly interested in the responses of people. I'm not saying that a child does or does not have more intrinsic value than someones else's beloved dog ...I'm just asking for meaningful answers from such as yourself for your having made the above statement.
If I answered you it would hijack this thread completely.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:04 PM

20,873 posts, read 22,451,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
How do you know human life has more intrinsic value than any other form of life? Is this truth floating around somewhere in space? Humans think and believe that they are the alpha species and the most important life form. But that is a collective human belief, a human construct, a subjective belief. Before humans existed, the universe and the planet got along just fine. We are the most important thing in our eyes, to us, but that is the extent of our importance.
Which is why some people can't understand why the other animals of the world don't recognize humans as superior beings. To them we are just the providers of a meal or the meal itself.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:27 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Humans acting like they own the world or something.
WE DO own the world, and we SHOULD. Any animal that doesn't like that, if they can even have the mental power to not "like it"--TOUGH, WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK, YOU'RE JUST A STUPID ANIMAL.

Now, look, I truly have no problem with careful and responsible wildlife management vs just slaughtering everything period for the heck of it and/or if it's not necessary. I am all for wildlife reservations where nature can just be nature. However, as the one poster said, when it's to where we feel like it's wrong to want to move out of the city to where there's not so much traffic etc because "we're in their territory," when it means you live in FL with warm climate and abundant lakes but you're told you can't swim in them, and when it means a child can't play in his/her own yard without an animal attacking them, that is irresponsible. It's a bunch of nonsense.

You think a lion is going to be all nice and let everything invade its home? Other animals respect the lion as "king of the jungle" because they know that if they don't give it a wide berth it will kick their a-double-esses. They respect its superior position, however begrudgingly. We have every right to exploit our superior position to protect our homes and to even explore the beautiful things around us and not get eaten alive doing it because, well, "we're in their house." Bologna. Especially given that there are wildlife reservations, then with regards to everything else I say THE WHOLE WORLD IS OUR HOUSE. Period.

I can tell you that on my property I act that way, REGARDLESS of the law. If I were to see a woodpecker (I haven't), I'm taking it out, I don't care if the law says I can or can't--on my property, I AM THE LAW. Pay my mortgage, waive or pay my property taxes, deal with the damage incurred if a woodpecker drills into the side of my home, THEN and ONLY THEN do you get to dictate to me how I handle the problem. If you worship the animals so much, come and pick them up and raise them in your house and YOU deal with them. Me, I want no part of it, I DON'T CARE that I moved to the country. I expect to move where I want regardless of where animals may or may not be AND to be left alone by them, BOTH. That's my expectation and I'm sticking with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or