U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:34 PM

11,831 posts, read 7,714,980 times

Advertisements

We used to teach our kids how to fight and kill animals for food and safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 06:56 PM

6,313 posts, read 3,490,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I can tell you that on my property I act that way, REGARDLESS of the law. If I were to see a woodpecker (I haven't), I'm taking it out, I don't care if the law says I can or can't--on my property, I AM THE LAW.
Alas, the State of Texas and the Federal Government both disagree with you on that. Shoot that woodpecker and get caught, and you could be fined hundreds of dollars and/or sentenced to up to six months in jail, as they are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrat...ty_Act_of_1918, https://www.animallaw.info/article/d...ird-treaty-act). Kill a deer that's raiding your vegetable garden in July, and you're a poacher; the State of Texas takes a dim view of that, viewing it as a class C misdemeanor and punishable by fines and jail time: Laws, Penalties & Restitution

Like it or not, you are NOT the absolute lord and ruler of your land, however much you wish you were.

Quote:
I DON'T CARE that I moved to the country. I expect to move where I want regardless of where animals may or may not be AND to be left alone by them, BOTH. That's my expectation...
Which is completely unreasonable.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:23 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,156,268 times
Quote:
If I were to see a woodpecker (I haven't), I'm taking it out, .
Gee, shyguy, do you have a lot of problems with woodpeckers drilling into your house?

I always love to see woodpeckers in my yard because they're so pretty. The other day I was working in the yard and I realized that the bird calls I was hearing were pileated woodpeckers. I looked in the trees and saw a pair of them. Very beautiful birds.

I've never had trouble with woodpeckers drilling into my house but if I did, I would definitely try other means first to discourage them. Killing them would be the very last resort.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:16 PM

2,543 posts, read 891,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Why? Please explain the value of a human life that is but one of billions upon billions of human lives that have passed before AND been forgotten by later generations? Why would someone else's child have more value than one's beloved pet? Why? I'm just curious. I ask even seemingly silly questions at times because I'm truly interested in the responses of people. I'm not saying that a child does or does not have more intrinsic value than someones else's beloved dog ...I'm just asking for meaningful answers from such as yourself for your having made the above statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
If I answered you it would hijack this thread completely.
I don't see why a response to a simple question should hijack an entire thread. All I'm asking is why YOU believe a human life is more valuable than that of an animal. It would go like this ...a human life is more valuable than that of an animal because . . .

I'm after logical reasons here, not simply stuff that we're supposed to say. These days I question everything. That said, even though I have more attachment to my pets than I do for the loud and unruly products of someone else's sperm and egg who happen to be my neighbors, this doesn't mean that I wouldn't reach out a helping hand if they needed it. Of course they're valuable. But, why are they more valuable than my pets? By what/whose criteria?

By the way, this conversation is just that, a conversation ...I doubt that too many of us will ever be in a real life situation where we have to make a life decision between a human being and an animal.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:13 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,763,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Gee, shyguy, do you have a lot of problems with woodpeckers drilling into your house?

I always love to see woodpeckers in my yard because they're so pretty. The other day I was working in the yard and I realized that the bird calls I was hearing were pileated woodpeckers. I looked in the trees and saw a pair of them. Very beautiful birds.

I've never had trouble with woodpeckers drilling into my house but if I did, I would definitely try other means first to discourage them. Killing them would be the very last resort.
No I have not, and as such, like you I'm actually fine with leaving them alone; this area is full of people who get a big kick out of hunting for the sport of it but I'm seriously not such a person. However, if they were to start becoming a problem, then yes I'm taking them out just as I'd "take out" mice or cockroaches, because at that point it's a pest. I'm fine with other methods that don't involve shooting them but ONLY if they're just as easy and inexpensive and convenient. If they take up too much of my time, then forget about it. I have a life to get back to living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Alas, the State of Texas and the Federal Government both disagree with you on that. Shoot that woodpecker and get caught, and you could be fined hundreds of dollars and/or sentenced to up to six months in jail, as they are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrat...ty_Act_of_1918, https://www.animallaw.info/article/d...ird-treaty-act). Kill a deer that's raiding your vegetable garden in July, and you're a poacher; the State of Texas takes a dim view of that, viewing it as a class C misdemeanor and punishable by fines and jail time: Laws, Penalties & Restitution

Like it or not, you are NOT the absolute lord and ruler of your land, however much you wish you were.
My response to that:

"Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...nd_shutting_up

I've done it when necessary (armadillos, although I don't think they're protected) and in reading the article apparently so do many others. GOOD, I say. To me, a pest is a pest. What's the difference between setting a mouse trap to catch nuisance mice, or spraying for cockroaches, or shooting a bird that is drilling holes into the side of your house? Why tell me that I'm absolutely free to shoot wild pigs due to their nuisance behavior but then tell me I have to leave that bird alone? Phooey on that nonsense. A woodpecker is a pest just like the others if it starts drilling holes into my house. Now, if it doesn't, I'm more than happy to leave it alone and appreciate its majestic beauty and such the way I do right now with this blue jay I've seen, but if it does damage, it's toast. Period. The law can shove it.

That some legislators, ones who frankly should be shipped off to a remote island full of wild lions and tied to a tree while wearing blood-stained clothing, exist whom think they have the right to go around telling people what they can do on their own property in ways like this, such is why many resort to the shoot-shovel-shut up method. Good for us, I say. It is the height of stupidity for these environmentalists wackos (right on Rush!) to go around telling people what they can and can't do on their own property because of some stupid spotted owl or rare breed of fish or bird. If they like the things so much, let THEM buy 100 acres and turn it over to the critters and spend their free time tending to them. Morally speaking, I'm under no such obligation, I'm fully in my rights to buy whatever I want wherever I want and turn it into whatever I want for whatever reason I want and do so BECAUSE I want.

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-23-2016 at 12:28 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 08:05 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,451,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

welcome to the present, please leave your spears at the front gate

Old 06-23-2016, 08:16 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,836,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Who the hell used to teach five-year-olds to hunt apex predators (ie, mountain lions) for food? No one, that's who.

But we sometimes used fire to drive them away from prey that they could kill, so we could feast on the remains. And we snacked on fleas and other vermin that we picked out of each other's hair. And we didn't wash our hands ever, because we were too ignorant to understand hygiene.

Fortunately, we don't still do these things out of some misguided notion that just because a thing is something we 'used to do', that therefore something we should still do in the 21st century.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:34 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,509,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I don't see why a response to a simple question should hijack an entire thread. All I'm asking is why YOU believe a human life is more valuable than that of an animal. It would go like this ...a human life is more valuable than that of an animal because . . .

I'm after logical reasons here, not simply stuff that we're supposed to say. These days I question everything. That said, even though I have more attachment to my pets than I do for the loud and unruly products of someone else's sperm and egg who happen to be my neighbors, this doesn't mean that I wouldn't reach out a helping hand if they needed it. Of course they're valuable. But, why are they more valuable than my pets? By what/whose criteria?

By the way, this conversation is just that, a conversation ...I doubt that too many of us will ever be in a real life situation where we have to make a life decision between a human being and an animal.
She can't give you an answer. That or she WON'T.
In my experience the sheep are NEVER willing to admit they've been preprogrammed. They are inured to the status quo and will fight to the death to protect it. To that end, anyone who dares to voice an opinion different to what the majority has been brainwashed with will be summarily and swiftly silenced (at least they hope) by ridicule and character assassination.
I for one am sick and tired of the sheep minimizing the love that people have for their pets which in MY house are bona-fide family members.

I have a theory that those who hate animals were the bullies in high school, and continue the path into adulthood whereby they bully those with a different opinion in a pathetic attempt to force you to come into line with what "everyone else" thinks.

In contrast, I believe that the bullied are the ones who turn into animal lovers because we've seen the worst of humanity, we KNOW how awful humanity can be and that we aren't worthy of the pedestal the "humans are superior, it's just a stupid animal" camp like to put us on.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:35 AM

12,141 posts, read 8,117,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
As an avid backpacker, covering some long and isolated trails, let me tell you, human's are prey - period. Native Americans and settlers hunted down bears, wolves, and cougars for a reason - you are never, ever safe when they are around.

Same here we too are avid backpackers & people seem to not use common sense when headed out to either live or visit types of places where these types of animals live.

The honest truth is that people are moving back out into where these animals live because as humans some can't stop breeding. (Yes I said that.) We're over populated & no one really cares that we're taking the environment, etc. To these animals you are food or they feel that your a threat period. IN this case the child was food. While I feel sorry for the parents they should of known this. Same with any parent/s who decides to live near these areas.

Do your research before moving to a place where these animals live. People look at crime rates when planning to move to another state why not look at wild animal attacks?

Oh yeah common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or