U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 04:18 PM

10,410 posts, read 7,495,645 times

Advertisements

mother of the year award!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 04:47 PM

42,262 posts, read 49,821,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post

Screw it let's just kill ALL the animals even your beloved pets never know when they too might turn on you.
Agree.
I saw my dog give me the eye the other day.
She could turn.

She could turn.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:31 PM

3,815 posts, read 2,015,370 times
I lived in Tucson Arizona and we had mountain lions, javalina and black bears popping up in neighborhoods all the time. We build in and destroy natural habitats and animals and humans collide.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:57 PM

7,729 posts, read 3,855,181 times
People build in the middle of nowhere to enjoy nature and then complain because animals live there.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:46 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,507,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I lived in Tucson Arizona and we had mountain lions, javalina and black bears popping up in neighborhoods all the time. We build in and destroy natural habitats and animals and humans collide.
When I lived in Tucson, we had a visit from a javelina in our apartment complex. I taped a bit of its exploration, but when it turned and looked directly at me, I decided discretion was the better part of valor and I took off.

I feel bad for the kid in the new story; bites from regular housecats hurt like a mofo. He's so lucky it wasn't full-grown, and that his mom was able to free him.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:25 PM

23,946 posts, read 31,164,080 times
Quote:
Screw it let's just kill ALL the animals even your beloved pets never know when they too might turn on you.
Okay then.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:49 PM

2,543 posts, read 891,131 times
Human beings more important than animals? Think so? Well, unless a person contributes something to the world - either famously or infamously - and finishes up in a history book which the majority of human beings do not ...in a hundred years or so it will be as though they never existed. Realistically speaking, there is no difference between human beings who contribute nothing in their lives other than their simply 'being here' and animals that are seen as being less important than a human being. Since the beginning of time billions of human beings have come and gone. Within a short period of time, no one remembers that they were ever around. Human beings especially important? I don't think so.

Sorry for being so brutally honest. I don't like it either. However, while we ARE here we can respect both one another as well as respect the wonderful creatures that we share our planet with. Please stop with this nonsense about who or what is more important as though WE are SO special. We're really not . . .

Note: Perhaps the kid in question will make it into a history book. Otherwise he'll be forgotten in time just like the mountain lions that were killed and just like most of the rest of us.

Gee, maybe I should have stayed in bed this morning . . .

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 06-19-2016 at 09:01 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 09:20 PM

6,312 posts, read 3,490,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
There would be collisions even without additional building. Any given habitat can only support so many animals (or people, for that matter). When the lion (or other animal) population rises high enough to completely fill that habitat, the surplus animals who cannot successfully compete for the limited resources or territories available have nowhere else to go but into our cities and suburbs, where they are quickly killed.

Lions are great wanderers. Young males who've been kicked out of their parents' territory can roam a distance of hundreds of miles in search of a territory of their own. And because they are so elusive, they often aren't spotted on their long journey until they wind up in someone's backyard or town center.

Edited to add: Some of you might find this article interesting: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ugar-shot.html. On the second page, it notes that in 2004 a cat which had been tranquillized and fitted with a radio collar in the Black Hills was struck and killed by a train in Oklahoma. It had wandered over 600 miles!

Last edited by Aredhel; 06-19-2016 at 09:50 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 10:17 PM

9,293 posts, read 5,794,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Why do we put up with DANGEROUS predatory animals living in our backyard?
We need them to keep the stupid deer population down. We actually need more mountain lions, damn deer are taking over.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:25 PM

51 posts, read 21,572 times
Quote:
Mountain lions are "generally calm, quiet, and elusive," according to Colorado Parks and Wildlife. A recent increase in numbers is blamed on more people moving into THIER habitat and a rise in the deer population.

Sheriff's deputies and a U.S. Forest Service officer located a mountain lion in the same area where the mother said the attack took place and put the animal down, the sheriff's department said.

I think they should hunt down the boy & his family for being in the lions habitat in the first place.

Inb4 someone goes "Humanity is the cancer of earth".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or