U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:31 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,761,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Why do we put up with DANGEROUS predatory animals living in our backyard? Gators in Disney world....just cull them and go to everglades if you want to see alligators. People afraid/banned to go swimming in ANY lake? WTF?? Preserve the gators in everglade national park and cull elsewhere. We live in a world where animals are more important than people and someone's backyard is considered "owned" by an animal instead of a human. {snip}
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The lack of common sense here amazes me. Someone mentioned Tucson AZ--yes, I used to live there. I knew an area on the edge of town near Mt Lemmon, "Agua Caliente" (the subdivision, not the pond), people there wouldn't let their children play IN THEIR OWN YARD due to fear of mountain lions. Screw that. If I'd had the money, I'd bought one of those homes and I'd shot and killed every mountain lion that DREAMED of stepping foot on my place. Those homes there, some of them cost $1 million, I checked. NO WAY I'm paying that much for a home and then letting a mountain lion with no right to MY LAND ruin my children's right to play IN THEIR OWN YARD. I don't see that mountain lion's name on the deed, WHO CARES what it thinks or wants or likes? Stay off my land, I'm fine with you, step foot on my land, I'm blowing a hole in your face.

Why SHOULDN'T a person be free to move out to the wilderness? Especially in a place like Tucson, it would be the most natural thing in the world for someone to want to move out of the city with all of its traffic and noise, and to be somewhere that's pretty. I lived in that area for 10 years, there are OODLES and OODLES of tracts of land owned by the government, fenced off, and NOTHING on it. I mean you can drive for 15-20 miles on a road and both sides be fenced off the ENTIRE WAY, nothing but wilderness. Don't tell me those mountain lions have nowhere to go, they've got PLENTY of room to roam and to be left alone.

My yard is MY yard. I'm a human being. I matter, animals matter ZERO compared to me or any other human being. It's that simple. I have no shame in saying that. I'm ENTITLED to go anywhere I darned well please that's not a preservation or natural habitat, and enjoy this planet as long as my health allows me, and to enjoy a yard that's not in the city limits that's pretty and to be safe doing so. Currently, I live in eastern TX in about 50-odd acres of woods. Animals that are here and not causing me any problems, I am delighted to leave them alone, I derive no joy from killing an animal (hunting) just for kicks, I even appreciate the majestical beauty of something like a blue jay.

HOWEVER, I have EVERY RIGHT to take out any animal that threatens my safety, I once even took out a neighbor's dog (with full approval from the sheriff's deputies) for being in my yard repeatedly when I told the neighbor several times to PLEASE keep your dog out of my yard. They didn't, so I took care of business MY way. Game over. My yard (because it is MY yard) is safe once more.

THAT is how you deal with these sorts of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 06:03 AM

6,308 posts, read 3,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

The lack of common sense here amazes me.

Why SHOULDN'T a person be free to move out to the wilderness?
You are free to move out into the wilderness. You are NOT free, however, to assume that you can do so completely risk-free. Wild animals live there, and some of them can be dangerous. That's just reality.

And you don't have to be living in the wilderness to have a mountain lion wander into your yard. They can travel for hundreds of miles.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:13 AM

30,457 posts, read 9,103,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post

Humans have invaded their territory and continue to develop closer and closer to their natural habitats. Oh, and did I mention that gorillas don't belong in Ohio, and the entire state of Florida used to be a swamp?

People, Americans in particular, are woefully ignorant about their country's (or even region's) flora and fauna. That is the problem.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:38 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,781,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Why do we put up with DANGEROUS predatory animals living in our backyard? Gators in Disney world....just cull them and go to everglades if you want to see alligators. People afraid/banned to go swimming in ANY lake? WTF?? Preserve the gators in everglade national park and cull elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419 View Post
Thank you. The lack of common sense in this country astounds me.
Quote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you

My yard is MY yard. I'm a human being. I matter, animals matter ZERO compared to me or any other human being. It's that simple.

Would the three of you volunteer to cull the animals? No local, state or national government assistance and our taxes going up, just you Three Amigo's each of you armed only with a horse, pack mule, Winchester .30/.30, rope and some throw nets.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:59 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,832,316 times
You people are out of your minds.

Some of you want to kill everything larger than a gopher because you're terrified to walk to the mailbox. And apparently you're unable to do simple math, or you'd know that the odds of being killed by a vehicle or a two-legged predator en route to get the mail is vastly greater than becoming some wild critter's next meal.

Others of you rail against 'building in the wilderness' (again, this attack occurred on a road that parallels a four-lane divided highway - if you think that's 'wilderness' then you must never have left Manhattan) and 'encroaching on wildlife', displaying a complete level of obliviousness to the fact that the place you live was built by destroying natural habitat.

It's not all or nothing. We don't need to eliminate animals. And we don't need to all live in cities (that you pretend weren't erected at the expense of wildlife).

I swear, someone dies from an encounter with an animal and 75% of the country loses their minds...

Old 06-20-2016, 07:04 AM

23,926 posts, read 31,151,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

I swear, someone dies from an encounter with an animal and 75% of the country loses their minds...
Nah. It's a far far smaller percentage, and many of them come to forums like this to rant.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:07 AM

7,706 posts, read 3,849,358 times
Quote:

The lack of common sense here amazes me. Someone mentioned Tucson AZ--yes, I used to live there. I knew an area on the edge of town near Mt Lemmon, "Agua Caliente" (the subdivision, not the pond), people there wouldn't let their children play IN THEIR OWN YARD due to fear of mountain lions. Screw that. If I'd had the money, I'd bought one of those homes and I'd shot and killed every mountain lion that DREAMED of stepping foot on my place. Those homes there, some of them cost $1 million, I checked. NO WAY I'm paying that much for a home and then letting a mountain lion with no right to MY LAND ruin my children's right to play IN THEIR OWN YARD. I don't see that mountain lion's name on the deed, WHO CARES what it thinks or wants or likes? Stay off my land, I'm fine with you, step foot on my land, I'm blowing a hole in your face.

Why SHOULDN'T a person be free to move out to the wilderness? Especially in a place like Tucson, it would be the most natural thing in the world for someone to want to move out of the city with all of its traffic and noise, and to be somewhere that's pretty. I lived in that area for 10 years, there are OODLES and OODLES of tracts of land owned by the government, fenced off, and NOTHING on it. I mean you can drive for 15-20 miles on a road and both sides be fenced off the ENTIRE WAY, nothing but wilderness. Don't tell me those mountain lions have nowhere to go, they've got PLENTY of room to roam and to be left alone.

My yard is MY yard. I'm a human being. I matter, animals matter ZERO compared to me or any other human being. It's that simple. I have no shame in saying that. I'm ENTITLED to go anywhere I darned well please that's not a preservation or natural habitat, and enjoy this planet as long as my health allows me, and to enjoy a yard that's not in the city limits that's pretty and to be safe doing so. Currently, I live in eastern TX in about 50-odd acres of woods. Animals that are here and not causing me any problems, I am delighted to leave them alone, I derive no joy from killing an animal (hunting) just for kicks, I even appreciate the majestical beauty of something like a blue jay.

HOWEVER, I have EVERY RIGHT to take out any animal that threatens my safety, I once even took out a neighbor's dog (with full approval from the sheriff's deputies) for being in my yard repeatedly when I told the neighbor several times to PLEASE keep your dog out of my yard. They didn't, so I took care of business MY way. Game over. My yard (because it is MY yard) is safe once more.

THAT is how you deal with these sorts of things.
I am thankful that you are not my neighbor.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 AM

6,308 posts, read 3,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Some of you want to kill everything larger than a gopher because you're terrified to walk to the mailbox. And apparently you're unable to do simple math, or you'd know that the odds of being killed by a vehicle or a two-legged predator en route to get the mail is vastly greater than becoming some wild critter's next meal.

Others of you rail against 'building in the wilderness' (again, this attack occurred on a road that parallels a four-lane divided highway - if you think that's 'wilderness' then you must never have left Manhattan) and 'encroaching on wildlife', displaying a complete level of obliviousness to the fact that the place you live was built by destroying natural habitat.

It's not all or nothing. We don't need to eliminate animals. And we don't need to all live in cities (that you pretend weren't erected at the expense of wildlife).
Common sense! Alas, it isn't common.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:03 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,508,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I am thankful that you are not my neighbor.
Me as well. In fact, I think his neighbor showed great restraint. I would have burned his house down for shooting MY dog. THEN went after the sherif for his "approval".

Old 06-20-2016, 10:19 AM

13,120 posts, read 17,658,319 times
you know this is true we move further and further into the animals territory and wonder why these attacks happen ? well if the animal is hungry then it will attack whatever moves is smaller than them for an easy meal . It is not the animals fault it is mans fault for moving into places where we really should not be building or moving into . Just such a reason is sometimes why we have so many land slides etc and such is because we are again building where we should not be building or living .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or