Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 07:09 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Over 100,000,000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
As an avid backpacker, covering some long and isolated trails, let me tell you, human's are prey - period. Native Americans and settlers hunted down bears, wolves, and cougars for a reason - you are never, ever safe when they are around.
Oh, please. I backpack, too - but I don't pretend that I'm committing some death-defying act of bravery when I do. Every time this happens, people lose all perspective. A hundred million people live in mountain lion territory and once every few years someone gets killed. Then out come the "You're taking your life in your hands going on a hike!" folks. Well, not as much as you're 'taking your life in your hands' on the freeways and highways getting to the trailhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes ppl are invading more and more area that USED TO BE 100% natural........
Every place you've ever lived, shopped, worked 'used to be natural'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Why do you all keep calling it a lion? It's a cougar or puma, not a lion. Lions are in Africa. Also, a lion would own a cougar's ass any day.
It's a cougar. It's also a mountain lion. Or panther. Or catamount. Or various other names, none of which are official names - they're all colloquial. So, obviously, that's why. Unless you're calling it Felis concolor, you're just using a casual and unofficial name, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 11:07 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
...and the best way to handle a mountain lion or any other deadly animal that is attacking someone is (drumroll please)
a gun. and not just any gun but a high powered multi shot semi automatic! Sorry I had to resort to using such ugly non PC words but when it comes to vicious animals (including humans) the best way to defend ones self and protect others is with a gun.
No question about it. That 5 year old should have been packing!

Old 06-19-2016, 11:24 AM

712 posts, read 529,850 times
Why do we put up with DANGEROUS predatory animals living in our backyard? Gators in Disney world....just cull them and go to everglades if you want to see alligators. People afraid/banned to go swimming in ANY lake? WTF?? Preserve the gators in everglade national park and cull elsewhere.

We live in a world where animals are more important than people and someone's backyard is considered "owned" by an animal instead of a human. Even in NJ, people are saying "humans are expanding into the black bears habitat". That's not true. We've been in NJ for hundreds of years. NJ aint yellowstone. IT'S NEW JERSEY!! Give me a break. Black bear numbers are rising so they are migrating looking for new territory.

If you don't hunt a predator, it will hunt you. Simple as that. You have to instill fear in them. Cougar numbers are rising due to lack of hunting. Regulated controlled hunting doesn't cause an animal to go extinct. In California they are even inbreeding and many are starving and that makes them really dangerous. I don't know why we think we need mountain lions everywhere. They WILL make their way out east again to new jersey/new york ect. Anywhere there are deer to kill. Increased numbers of them make attacks more likely.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:25 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Oh, please. I backpack, too - but I don't pretend that I'm committing some death-defying act of bravery when I do. Every time this happens, people lose all perspective. A hundred million people live in mountain lion territory and once every few years someone gets killed. Then out come the "You're taking your life in your hands going on a hike!" folks. Well, not as much as you're 'taking your life in your hands' on the freeways and highways getting to the trailhead.

Every place you've ever lived, shopped, worked 'used to be natural'.

It's a cougar. It's also a mountain lion. Or panther. Or catamount. Or various other names, none of which are official names - they're all colloquial. So, obviously, that's why. Unless you're calling it Felis concolor, you're just using a casual and unofficial name, too.
They are commonly seen in Missouri and Arkansas over the last 30 years. When I lived just east of KC Mo. in the 80s, there were several in the area. Missouri conservation called everyone liars until a car hit and killed one.
Most of the problem there are from "pet lions" being turned loose. Human smell no longer makes them wary. We had one walk up to the house and look in the window.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:33 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Why do we put up with DANGEROUS predatory animals living in our backyard?
We don't. Predatory animals which wind up in people's backyards or wander into cities are always removed (usually by killing them).

Old 06-19-2016, 12:32 PM

121 posts, read 164,785 times
Quote:
Why do we put up with DANGEROUS predatory animals living in our backyard? Gators in Disney world....just cull them and go to everglades if you want to see alligators. People afraid/banned to go swimming in ANY lake? WTF?? Preserve the gators in everglade national park and cull elsewhere.

We live in a world where animals are more important than people and someone's backyard is considered "owned" by an animal instead of a human. Even in NJ, people are saying "humans are expanding into the black bears habitat". That's not true. We've been in NJ for hundreds of years. NJ aint yellowstone. IT'S NEW JERSEY!! Give me a break. Black bear numbers are rising so they are migrating looking for new territory.

If you don't hunt a predator, it will hunt you. Simple as that. You have to instill fear in them. Cougar numbers are rising due to lack of hunting. Regulated controlled hunting doesn't cause an animal to go extinct. In California they are even inbreeding and many are starving and that makes them really dangerous. I don't know why we think we need mountain lions everywhere. They WILL make their way out east again to new jersey/new york ect. Anywhere there are deer to kill. Increased numbers of them make attacks more likely.
Thank you. The lack of common sense in this country astounds me.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
We don't. Predatory animals which wind up in people's backyards or wander into cities are always removed (usually by killing them).
Two lions were killed as the result of this.

Colorado Woman Pries Open Mountain Lion's Jaws to Rescue Son - ABC News

Old 06-19-2016, 01:11 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:

Why do people build in the middle of a wild area and then seem shocked that wild animals live there? This house was 10 miles out into a wild area.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:38 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Why do people build in the middle of a wild area and then seem shocked that wild animals live there? This house was 10 miles out into a wild area.

First, there is no indication that these parents are running around 'shocked' that this ever could have happened.

Second, this house wasn't '10 miles out' in some remote area. Read the article - it occurred 10 miles NW of Aspen on Lower River Road. This road parallels Colorado Highway 82 (a four-lane, divided highway - high traffic, just like you'd expect for the main connection between I-70 and the popular resort of Aspen). There are homes all over in the area. The community of Woody Creek is about nine miles NW of Aspen, so this house was only about a mile outside of there.

Now, it is hardly a surprise that there are mountain lions there, but if you think this was some cabin at the end of a long road leading deep into a wilderness, then you're very confused.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:26 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Mountain lions are "generally calm, quiet, and elusive," according to Colorado Parks and Wildlife. A recent increase in numbers is blamed on more people moving into THIER habitat and a rise in the deer population.

Sheriff's deputies and a U.S. Forest Service officer located a mountain lion in the same area where the mother said the attack took place and put the animal down, the sheriff's department said.

I think they should hunt down the boy & his family for being in the lions habitat in the first place.

Screw it let's just kill ALL the animals even your beloved pets never know when they too might turn on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events