U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2018, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,042 posts, read 22,631,682 times
Reputation: 33268

Advertisements

I saw a report this kind of thing is also happening to women of all ages on flights when they are traveling by themselves. I hope I have the courage to do what a friend of a friend did on a Greyhound bus trip many years ago.

A man sat down next to her and began crowding her. She told him to back off, there were plenty of empty seats. He wouldnít listen. He began bumping up against her. She warned him to stop. Finally he grabbed her breast. She hauled off and punched him in the nose. She had a good wallop for a 62 year old lady! She broke it.

He whined and cried and complained to the driver who said he had it covered. When they arrived at their destination, the cops were waiting to take him off to jail. There were people who were willing to be her witness as to the fact he assaulted her if he tried to press charges.

Thatís what I want to do. Hit back. I think itís time to teach girls how to defend themselves just as men do when they are attacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2018, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
3,481 posts, read 1,194,684 times
Reputation: 4701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That’s what I want to do. Hit back. I think it’s time to teach girls how to defend themselves just as men do when they are attacked.
It doesn't often take much; the vast majority of assailants count on humiliation and fear paralysis to get away with their crap. There are so many stories out there where a simple scream, a loud telling off, a truly solid fist or knee or slap or even a bite-with-intent-to-chew is all it takes to end the incident. Especially in the middle of a crowd, as it were.

There was an attempted abduction of a 12yo girl here in October. She bit the bejeezus out of his hands and arms as he was trying to drag her into a van, and that was that.

I'd like to think any crowd, anywhere, would have a victim's back if they just knew... and stories like this make it seem to be so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2018, 09:26 PM
 
Location: USA
104 posts, read 36,141 times
Reputation: 456
I hope he's on the registry for life. He should also be required to foot the bill for this young lady's counseling. Subhumans such as these should also not be allowed to reproduce. What a waste of skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,042 posts, read 22,631,682 times
Reputation: 33268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It doesn't often take much; the vast majority of assailants count on humiliation and fear paralysis to get away with their crap. There are so many stories out there where a simple scream, a loud telling off, a truly solid fist or knee or slap or even a bite-with-intent-to-chew is all it takes to end the incident. Especially in the middle of a crowd, as it were.

There was an attempted abduction of a 12yo girl here in October. She bit the bejeezus out of his hands and arms as he was trying to drag her into a van, and that was that.

I'd like to think any crowd, anywhere, would have a victim's back if they just knew... and stories like this make it seem to be so.
Good for that girl. Someone taught her well. I remember when I was very young, women were told to give in, don't fight, don't try to run even if you have a chance to escape. it was better to be raped than murdered. Of course it was men giving that advice.

Drunk men on a plane can be handled, even if it's just getting up and walking away. But little girls get confused, they don't know what to do so they cringe in fear. They honestly don't know they can move away from their assailants or scream. Women are taught not to draw attention to themselves.

Girls are not being taught to fight or how to fight, but they should be. I would like to see classes in school for girls showing them how to fight off assailants. There are methods that can be used to fight off attackers larger than their victims. Forget the volleyball, let's have the martial arts for PE instead.

Of course if all else fails, I would suggest the victim take out her Smartphone, since most people have them, and start taking pictures of the jerk and tell him they will be going on FB, Instagram, Twitter and every other Social Media outlet along with a post about what he's doing unless he stops. If she can get his name, even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 10:17 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
73,428 posts, read 65,069,082 times
Reputation: 69636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I'm just glad that the media reports these things and that most people find it objectionable. When I was in graduate school I had to visit a large museum on the east coast for part of my research, and could only afford to go by Greyhound bus. I had very long hair then, and a drunk man sat next to me and pawed at it until I was practically screaming at him to stop touching me. No one did or said a thing. I finally lurched past him and moved up front near the driver. And that's actually the least disgusting unwanted touching episode in my life.

I don't think a lot of people realized until recently how much of this young women put up with, and I hope it's becoming more obvious that it's simply unacceptable.
In my first year of high school, the girls were told about this type of behavior in "health" class. We were taught how to quietly inflict unbearable pain to remove an unwanted hand from our leg, and to get help if needed. It looks like these lessons need to be moved up to Middle School; the plane passenger was only 13.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-24-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 10:35 AM
 
Location: BFE
634 posts, read 143,054 times
Reputation: 1456
Of course his name is "Chad".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 10:50 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
73,428 posts, read 65,069,082 times
Reputation: 69636
Quote:
An Oregon man has been charged with abusive sexual contact after he allegedly groped an unaccompanied teen aboard an American Airlines flight.
Why does it say "allegedly"? There was a witness--the flight attendant.

At least charges were filed, instead of simply moving him to a different seat. Maybe now he'll get the message that he's a deviant, and that his behavior is unlawful and unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 10:55 AM
 
6,808 posts, read 1,654,989 times
Reputation: 4875
Thats pretty brazen thing do to a complete stranger on a plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 11:05 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,250 posts, read 6,417,843 times
Reputation: 3862
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats pretty brazen thing do to a complete stranger on a plane.
And yet it happens all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 11:24 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
73,428 posts, read 65,069,082 times
Reputation: 69636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude;
It doesn't often take much; the vast majority of assailants count on humiliation and fear paralysis to get away with their crap. There are so many stories out there where a simple scream, a loud telling off, a truly solid fist or knee or slap or even a bite-with-intent-to-chew is all it takes to end the incident. Especially in the middle of a crowd, as it were.

There was an attempted abduction of a 12yo girl here in October. She bit the bejeezus out of his hands and arms as he was trying to drag her into a van, and that was that.

I'd like to think any crowd, anywhere, would have a victim's back if they just knew... and stories like this make it seem to be so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Good for that girl. Someone taught her well. I remember when I was very young, women were told to give in, don't fight, don't try to run even if you have a chance to escape. it was better to be raped than murdered. Of course it was men giving that advice.

Drunk men on a plane can be handled, even if it's just getting up and walking away. But little girls get confused, they don't know what to do so they cringe in fear. They honestly don't know they can move away from their assailants or scream. Women are taught not to draw attention to themselves.

Girls are not being taught to fight or how to fight, but they should be. I would like to see classes in school for girls showing them how to fight off assailants. There are methods that can be used to fight off attackers larger than their victims. Forget the volleyball, let's have the martial arts for PE instead.

Of course if all else fails, I would suggest the victim take out her Smartphone, since most people have them, and start taking pictures of the jerk and tell him they will be going on FB, Instagram, Twitter and every other Social Media outlet along with a post about what he's doing unless he stops. If she can get his name, even better.
Agree wholeheartedly! Girls are still being taught to be sweet and pleasing. While that may be fine, it needs to be balanced with lessons on how to deflect abuse, both verbally, as Quietude mentions, and physically, if necessary. Being taught ONLY to be sweet and pleasing and helpful sets girls and women up to be victims. They also need to learn, that being loud or angry is OK, and appropriate, if someone's trying to take advantage of you.

What's interesting, is that when on the few occasions I've posted that on the Relationships forum, there have always been a few men who object strenuously, as if they think I"m advocating turning women into thugs of some sort. They want their women soft and sweet and compliant. But being able to defend oneself, and to head off abuse coming your way, is not mutually exclusive with being kind and caring in appropriate situations. Women can be capable of self-defense, while also being nurturing, thoughtful and kind. I don't know why anyone would want a loved one of theirs to be hobbled and unable to protect themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top