U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 04:38 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,506,074 times

Advertisements

It may not be effective, but it certainly isn't an outrageous punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 04:39 PM

9,569 posts, read 4,843,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Some of you have it backwards. He can sleep inside. He's banished outside during the daytime. I do not see how that keeps him from stealing at night, though.
In our defense, I think the subject line confused matters.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:04 PM

10,894 posts, read 4,781,661 times
I would totally do something like that if I were the parent. If you can't be trusted to not steal things from this house, you're not allowed in it.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:05 PM

11,354 posts, read 6,131,713 times
Good thing that didn't happen in NY or CA or else the parents would be in jail, house repossessed, out of work, etc.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:22 PM

6,004 posts, read 2,758,380 times
In what way are they sending a message of discipline?

I'm all for a positive result coming from a set of standards, yet I doubt that the teen is seeing the errors of his way thru banishment to the backyard. funny how we enjoy shunning the young.

Would enjoy finding out in six months how that form of discipline worked for this young fellow.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:48 PM

10,894 posts, read 4,781,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
In what way are they sending a message of discipline?

I'm all for a positive result coming from a set of standards, yet I doubt that the teen is seeing the errors of his way thru banishment to the backyard. funny how we enjoy shunning the young.

Would enjoy finding out in six months how that form of discipline worked for this young fellow.
"If you can't respect the house and the people in it, then you can't be in it."

Easy peasy.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:21 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,876,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
Agree my cousin has a 15 year old son, who is similar to this story he stole from me and my girlfriend few months ago.And when we told his mother she defended him"Oh my son is a good boy",even though BOTH me and my girl witness him going into our car(without permission)and stealing my iphone and $500 in coins(I use it to pay for parking).Even though we did get our stuff back(he kept the other $100),I could of called the police but I didnt(big mistake).And parents need to stop thinking their kids are angels punish them,kuddos to this post.
Who the hell drives around with $500 in coins?

Old 06-22-2016, 06:23 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,876,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
"If you can't respect the house and the people in it, then you can't be in it."

Easy peasy.
Exactly! At 16 I got my first summer job. In an attempt to teach me responsibility, my mom asked that I contribute $50/week towards household expenses. When I refused she locked me out of the house and I had to sleep in the stairwell. I hated her at the time for it but it taught me a valuable lesson and thank her for it now.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:38 AM

139 posts, read 113,732 times
Better he be in his own backyard at 16 with the comfort and safety of home a few steps away and have time to think about his future.
Some kids get kicked out and live on the streets, fighting off rapists and entering a downward spiral that has the potential to wreck their life.

Kudos to the parents for disciplining their kid.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:45 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,222,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
A mom and dad in New Mexico say they're so fed up with their teenage son's thieving ways that they kick him out of the house every day and force him to stay in a backyard tent, local media reported Friday.
Well, that'll teach him not to 'thieve'...

The issue is not that he's being somehowe mistreated by being banished to a tent. The issue is that if this is their idea of dealing with criminal issues (and that's what stealing is) then they're probably looking at a son who is not going to stop his criminal activities anytime soon.

To the cheers of "Good for them! At least they're doing something!", the point is to do something effective, not to do just anything for the sake of giving you onlookers something to cheer about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or