U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 12:13 AM

9,862 posts, read 13,194,178 times

Advertisements

He will thank them later for a lesson in discipline and boundaries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 12:48 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,952,891 times
I used to do that for fun in the backyard as a kid

Old 06-23-2016, 01:43 AM

159 posts, read 153,141 times
Good on them for trying to be good parents. I'm not sure I would have considered this a punishment though when I was a teenager.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:40 AM

167 posts, read 298,967 times
Hard to comment intelligently without all of the specifics, but it sounds like a reasonable form of trying to change teenage behavior IMO.

I've got a 20 year old son and a 13 year old son and an 8 year old daughter. It's hard to find the best way to parent when teenage kids are learning the ways of the world. But banishment from the house while still maintaining safety for said child sounds reasonable.

And as far as people commenting that it isn't enough of a punishment, I would ask why they need to acquire a pound of flesh? Isn't the idea that we are trying to change behavior? If the kid spends a few weeks in the tent getting his thoughts together, he might find this experience to be life changing.

A lot of ancient cultures used banishment for this reason. Sometimes teenagers and families just need a breath of fresh air or a change of scenery. Oh, and BTW, I am far from an expert on raising kids and agree that it is trial and error with a strong emphasis on error.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:59 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,463,143 times
I wonder if he really LOVES being outside in a tent??

He can easily sneak off and do whatever!!! (Meet up with friends,goto a store and get a drink,etc)

Old 06-23-2016, 11:00 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,280,484 times
Stupid parents.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:36 AM

9,862 posts, read 13,194,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I wonder if he really LOVES being outside in a tent??

He can easily sneak off and do whatever!!! (Meet up with friends,goto a store and get a drink,etc)
Motion detected camera fix that. But yeah it's freedom. We did in the summer for fun.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:55 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,052,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
I don't have a problem with it, don't think it's abusive and as the cops said - they aren't breaking any laws.

However, I don't see any connection between the crime(s) and punishment. His not being allowed to be in the house during the daytime, is going to *limit access* to stealable stuff, but is that going to teach him not to steal? I doubt it. And have they made him pay back for what he already stole? Cause personally that's where I would start.
I agree. Put the young man out to work and make him pay back every penny that he ever stole from anyone. Keep him under house arrest (until his debts are paid) when he is not working. As a prelude to this, take the boy on a tour of a prison near you to show him where the path he's chosen leads. (Prison wardens are remarkably cooperative in these situations.)

Prevention *is* better than cure. With all the teen pregnancies 'out there,' a tour of the labor ward at rush hour should be part of every post-pubescent girl's sex education.

Yep, I was (still am) that kind of mum.

My mother threw me out at the age of 15 because I reminded her of my biological father. He threw me out after four months of staying with him because I reminded him of my mother. Neither one of them knew where I was and neither did they care. I hadn't had time (nor the inclination) to do anything wrong. Charming, no?

I think the kid in NM is getting off far too lightly. You steal something, you take it back or pay for it with interest - period.

Is there any clue as to WHY the kid is behaving in this manner?

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:24 AM

139 posts, read 102,923 times
I've noticed a lot of comments that camping in the backyard is not punishment. Technically I agree.
Growing up my family camped a lot in all weather, heat, cold, rain, shine, and we loved it. However, there are some people who dont like it, maybe this kid is one. So perhaps the parents have found a method that works on their kid.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:35 AM

9,285 posts, read 16,128,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
That's not punishment, that's a reward. I would have loved this for a transgression as a kid.

At that age, it would have just made it easier for me to sneak out with my friends in search of mischief....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or