Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:59 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times

Advertisements

Wondering what people think about the ad campaign being launched in Toronto:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...te-online.html

I live in a major metropolitan area, I have never experienced what the poster is depicting, nor would confront a stranger based on their attire. From my own personal experience, the poster screams that if you are a Caucasian male, you act this way which I find disturbing and disgusting. I am not sure this is going to meet the objective of ending hatred, in fact I think this is more divisive then anything causing people to unnecessarily fear people and on the other side having people feel guilty for something they never did. Thumbs down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
I'm not sure the objective with these sorts of initiatives is really ending hatred. I think the focus is more on projecting hatred towards white males, rather than having hatred emanating from them which is how white males are stereotypically portrayed as part of the prevailing caricature of them as an oppressor class. If you think of it from that perspective, campaigns like this start to make a little more sense.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:21 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
I don't have a problem with it, and don't feel that it accuses me (a white guy) of acting a particular way, nor do I find it divisive. It raises attention, that's all. I suspect people might be offended if it hits too close to some latent feelings, but that might be a good thing - to consider how it feels to be stereotyped.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I'm not sure the objective with these sorts of initiatives is really ending hatred. I think the focus is more on projecting hatred towards white males, rather than having hatred emanating from them which is how white males are stereotypically portrayed as part of the prevailing caricature of them as an oppressor class. If you think of it from that perspective, campaigns like this start to make a little more sense.
Where is this latent hatred of white males manifesting itself?

Old 06-22-2016, 09:06 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where is this latent hatred of white males manifesting itself?

Through the social justice mindset I suppose. Social justice doesn't seem to be focused on equality so much as it focuses on punishment for those who are perceived as having done wrong, to square their karmic debt.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:29 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
I think the poster serves as a good reminder that you can't look at a mentally deranged person's actions (like the Orlando shooter) and then associate it with anyone and everyone who reminds you of that person. To do so is nothing more than bigotry.

But one has to admit, we are very apt to do so. We tend to be bigoted towards all kinds of people based on their political party, size, age, sexual orientation, skin color... it never seems to end.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:38 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
The idea for the campaign was brought forward last fall, to cushion the arrival of Syrian refugees, she said, but has become all the more urgent in the wake of the Conservatives’ proposed partial ban on the niqab in 2015, presumptive Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s anti-Muslim rhetoric, the fallout from the Paris attacks and mass shootings in San Bernardino, Calif., and Orlando, Fla..

“Islamophobia has become a serious concern in many communities in Canada,” said Elghawaby, whose organization was consulted on the ad’s creation but isn’t an official part of the campaign.

So, after naming three recent terrorist attacks in which radical Muslims slaughtered innocent people for no other reason than the fact that they (the victims) were not Muslims, somehow "Islamophobia" is a "serious concern"? I would say it's a very valid reaction.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:21 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Not to sound insensitive, but this would be a non issue if they assimilated into the western culture of dress. It's not religious garb, it's cultural. Otherwise, why aren't all Islamic women covered from head to toe.

Just saying.

France banned the hijab several years ago. at the very least, no one should be allowed to cover their entire face unless it's Halloween or you're skiiing.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:50 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,216 times
I'm in Europe now and the Muslims I've encountered have completely shut out any attempt to communicate with me. The little eye contact made was met by furrowed brows and a look of disdain.
I'd say they are the ones who are acting hateful and bigoted.
I feel for Europeans who had this group thrust into their society by progressive liberals, but like Americans, they will have to make hard choices to stop the ludicrous idealogical actions of officials like Barack Obama and Angela Merkel.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:04 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I'm in Europe now and the Muslims I've encountered have completely shut out any attempt to communicate with me. The little eye contact made was met by furrowed brows and a look of disdain.
I'd say they are the ones who are acting hateful and bigoted.
I feel for Europeans who had this group thrust into their society by progressive liberals, but like Americans, they will have to make hard choices to stop the ludicrous idealogical actions of officials like Barack Obama and Angela Merkel.
I had family visit Brussels recently and they cut their visit to Belgium short because they felt threatened and uncomfortable by the looks they were being given by Muslims. They even skipped going to the Holocaust Museum because there were many of them hanging around outside and they felt uncomfortable since it was already a target before. They left Belgium after 1 day and went to another country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events