U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 12:21 PM

17,684 posts, read 12,330,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
That was noted during this morning's broadcast.

Strange it's not written the the article. Also did the overdosage 6+ month prior lead to vomiting and urinating blood and then the actual cause of the death? That's the question that should be asked before making claims
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 12:28 PM

15,747 posts, read 11,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
It's tragic that this kid died and maybe it was the pharmacists fault maybe it wasn't. But as a society we need to stop medicating our children and ourselves for every little "disease" that the pharmaceutical companies are convincing us we have. 40 years ago you didn't hear about kids having ADD-HD now every other kid has it. Same with autism 30 years ago you only heard about autism after the movie Rainman came out now 50% of kid are diagnosed with it. Let kids be kids don't let medication take the place of good parenting.
^^^ I second this. When I grew up, no kids took meds for being hyperactive. The parents and teachers dealt with it and when it got out of hand, the kid got a slap. Worked back then. Now nobody can be bothered with an active kid because we are too tied up at work or our own life. Kids nowadays supposed to act like a robot and if they don't they get pills stuffed in their face. They grow up with strangers at daycare, kindergarden, school, afterschool programs, .... because we are too busy making money or pursue our own happiness.

I feel bad for the pharmacist. I will - just like the parents - probably never be the same.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:33 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,619,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The death of a child is a joke to you?
The Edit Ignore List is that <<<-------- way

Old 06-23-2016, 12:34 PM

12,407 posts, read 9,269,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Regardless of what led to the death of the child, there is a more pressing matter no one addressed. Why is it that this pharmacist is still allowed to practice after making such a grave error? According to the reports the person literally received no type of consequences for their actions. This is a high liability profession where "innocent mistakes" can lead to permanent physical harm to victims. So why hasn't the pharmacist been disciplined?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Most jobs if you mess up you can ruin someones life. I'm an electrician if i mess up people can be killed.

People make mistakes it's human nature.

Not to mention driving also goes into that category if you mess up you can ruin or end someone's life...who would advocate permanently revoking the license of anyone with one at fault accident of any kind?

Old 06-23-2016, 12:49 PM

21,185 posts, read 15,340,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Strange it's not written the the article. Also did the overdosage 6+ month prior lead to vomiting and urinating blood and then the actual cause of the death? That's the question that should be asked before making claims
Not strange. The article was posted last night. The morning show ran a longer feature and included more details from the interview with the mother.

As for how the initial event and the final event are related, well, that does actually speak to the mother saying that he was never the same in the interim. I took that to mean that he had on-going health issues since he was released from the hospital that culminated in the hemorrhaging that took his life.
As she had day-to-day contact with him, I trust that she knows best whether he suffered any ill-effects or not.
Her claim is based on having a healthy child prior to the overdose and not having a healthy one after.
It is perfectly reasonable to me that she would feel as she does.

The toxicology report will be available in a few weeks.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:53 PM

17,684 posts, read 12,330,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Not strange. The article was posted last night. The morning show ran a longer feature and included more details from the interview with the mother.

As for how the initial event and the final event are related, well, that does actually speak to the mother saying that he was never the same in the interim. I took that to mean that he had on-going health issues since he was released from the hospital that culminated in the hemorrhaging that took his life.
As she had day-to-day contact with him, I trust that she knows best whether he suffered any ill-effects or not.
Her claim is based on having a healthy child prior to the overdose and not having a healthy one after.
It is perfectly reasonable to me that she would feel as she does.

The toxicology report will be available in a few weeks.
No it is actually strange as the report has been out for some time now with multiple chances to include that level of detail

It's not possible for a parent to emotionally tie two events together related or not because they have to rationalize a situation especially as traumatic as the loss of a child. Yes actually it is entirely plausible that situation could occur.

Additionally I'm not sure the toxicology report is going to show the cause of death unless the child is still consuming 1000x his prescribed dosage. An autopsy should outline the cause of death

Old 06-23-2016, 02:13 PM

5,337 posts, read 7,701,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The issue is as I've read it the child had the reaction on 10/31/15 and was hospitalized, then released. He then died on 6/8/16 and the articles don't really detail anything leading up to that of cause of death. The pharmacy and pharmacist could have very well made a mistake and the death could be an entirely seperate incident
Don't ruin a good story with facts.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:42 PM

4,933 posts, read 2,201,007 times
Not sure I am understanding here some of the commentary-
Because of this gross negligence , the pharmacist should not be held accountable?

The parents (sadly) lost a child, and the medication most certainly DID carry some impact into the final state of health for the child.

There are times where even "accidents" are still brought forth to the courts to have all accountable answer for their actions.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:06 PM

2,054 posts, read 997,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
It's tragic that this kid died and maybe it was the pharmacists fault maybe it wasn't. But as a society we need to stop medicating our children and ourselves for every little "disease" that the pharmaceutical companies are convincing us we have. 40 years ago you didn't hear about kids having ADD-HD now every other kid has it. Same with autism 30 years ago you only heard about autism after the movie Rainman came out now 50% of kid are diagnosed with it. Let kids be kids don't let medication take the place of good parenting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
^^^ I second this. When I grew up, no kids took meds for being hyperactive. The parents and teachers dealt with it and when it got out of hand, the kid got a slap. Worked back then. Now nobody can be bothered with an active kid because we are too tied up at work or our own life. Kids nowadays supposed to act like a robot and if they don't they get pills stuffed in their face. They grow up with strangers at daycare, kindergarden, school, afterschool programs, .... because we are too busy making money or pursue our own happiness.

I feel bad for the pharmacist. I will - just like the parents - probably never be the same.

Just because you never heard of ADD-HD or autism 30-40 years ago doesn't mean it wasn't around- just that it didn't have a name, you didn't know anybody who had it or the person who had it was put in an institution. The rates of both of these conditions have been rising although whether it is due to better diagnosis or more people being born with it is hard to say. And I don't think that hyperactivity can be cured by 'a slap' or by a stay at home parent.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:52 PM

998 posts, read 1,193,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Just because you never heard of ADD-HD or autism 30-40 years ago doesn't mean it wasn't around- just that it didn't have a name, you didn't know anybody who had it or the person who had it was put in an institution. The rates of both of these conditions have been rising although whether it is due to better diagnosis or more people being born with it is hard to say. And I don't think that hyperactivity can be cured by 'a slap' or by a stay at home parent.

Better diagnosis? No more likely over diagnosis and fuzzy diagnosis practices. 9 out of 10 kids diagnosed with "adhd" have no chemical imbalance. There are more than likely outside influences causing children to act out but we live and an instant gratification society where parents want an answer and a cure right now. And it is far easier for a parent and a doctor to point fingers at a mental illness and give the kid a pill than to deal with your own lack of skills as a parent or your lack of wiliness to deal with problems at home that are causing your child to act out. Big Pharma has doctors in their back pocket and spend millions and millions a year on advertising tell us we are all sick and this pill and that pill is the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or