U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:04 AM

15,844 posts, read 18,515,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
In that situation can anybody really say what they would do? Maybe he was not thinking clearly but in his mind at the moment he tried desperately to do the logical thing to save his child.
I agree. So sad and so many ugly non-sympathetic comments. I feel very sad for this poor baby and this man and his family. Tragedy's should never be anyone's source of humor. There but for the grace of god....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 11:06 AM

109 posts, read 79,722 times
Another great solution: rear-facing mirrors required by law. Many are safety-crash tested, and it allows you to see your children. You see their face every time you look in the rearview mirror, whether they are sleeping or not. It also allows them to see you, and you can keep an eye on them if they are eating to make sure they don't choke. I have one for both of my rear facing children, and they sell the mirrors everywhere. They should be mandated by law in every state, and included with every infant and convertible car seat purchase.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:07 AM
Status: "A delicate snowflake with the vote of a wolverine." (set 3 days ago)

13,276 posts, read 7,460,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This guy was a high school chemistry teacher? Unbelievable. It's horrible enough that he left her there in the hot car but trying to revive her by putting her in the refrigerator is just plain moronic. An educated person should know better.

There ought to be a test given before people can be allowed to breed.
I'm amazed that we can't figure out a way to enact some sort of testing policy. Rearing children is the most important job of all, yet anyone can do it at any time with no restrictions whatsoever. No wonder our society is in so much trouble.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 AM

9,978 posts, read 6,121,192 times
How in the hell do these morons leave a child in a car? I have yet to figure that out. I know some idiots will defend them for one reason or another. To me, there is absolutely no excuse for this. I hope the memories haunt this a$$ for the rest of his life.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:58 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,799,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I watched a program the other day that some female engineer has come up with a device that sends a signal to your cel phone if you get a few feet from your car with the toddler still occupying the seat in the rear.

Ain't it wonderful? Now we're reduced to developing "apps" to replace good old fashioned common sense parenting!

Next up...an app to remind you to take a freak'n bowel movement before you crap yourself.

Well, it's better than nothing.."pick your battles", y'know?

That being said, as a mom who had 11 babies in 18 years; not once did I ever forget a child in a car (& I was slinging car seats & diaper bags for a looong time!).

However, once I accidentally locked my keys in the car WITH a sleeping 2 & a half year old & 6 month old inside.

It was 13 degrees farenheit..middle of January at 7,000ft elevation in Colorado.

I realized it the second I slammed my door shut; felt like I had just been kicked in the gut!

I never left my car's side...jumped up & down like an idiot waving my arms around & alerted my neighbors to call the fire department.

Fire department responds in all their glory; lights, sirens...10 guys in suspenders & hard-hats...

OMG. It was soooo embarassing!

It took them like 2 seconds to get into my car. The whole incident went down in less than 5 minutes but it FELT like 5 hours!

The cutest fireman ever handed me my keys, winked at me & said "Call us anytime ma'am...that's what we are here for!"

Good God...!

Old 06-24-2016, 03:19 PM

2,458 posts, read 3,280,723 times
For all those who don't seem to know first aid for heat stroke here it is:
  • Fan air over the patient while wetting his or her skin with water from a sponge or garden hose.
  • Apply ice packs to the patient's armpits, groin, neck, and back. Because these areas are rich with blood vessels close to the skin, cooling them may reduce body temperature.
  • Immerse the patient in a shower or tub of cool water, or an ice bath.
Putting her in the refrigerator was just his mind grabbing at a way to bring her temperature down quickly in an attempt to save her. The article said he did it while calling 911. It may have been the best thing he could do quickly to try and cool her off while still being on the phone trying to get the paramedics there. It also says he tried to perform CPR.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:10 PM

4,965 posts, read 2,582,050 times
I don't get it. The 6 month old had a fever. How do you forget a 6 month old with a fever? Besides every other reason you should never forget a child in the car--wouldn't a parent be really concerned about the fever? Let me get the baby comfortable, should I call the doctor? Let me get some fluids in the baby?
I never once forgot that I had a sick baby. (Nor did I ever forget I had a baby in the car.)

Old 06-24-2016, 05:57 PM

10,428 posts, read 7,527,771 times
oh yes, there but for the grace of God AND A FUNCTIONING MATERNAL INSTINCT, go I.

These incidences are manslaughter, voluntary or not.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:35 PM

9,482 posts, read 15,071,454 times
I don't think placing the child in the fridge was so awful. Although it was not the right thing, it was an attempt to do something quickly, to reverse the situation....which never should have happened to begin with. But lets not "pile on" to the blame.....

Old 06-24-2016, 07:51 PM

4,965 posts, read 2,582,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
But lets not "pile on" to the blame.....
I don't mean to be harsh--but why not? Who is to blame then? Someone has to take responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or