Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 03:26 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times

Advertisements

First World problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 03:34 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
First World problems.
Sadly enough you hit the nail right on the head, How the hell can you have some many distractions in your life that you forget you have a kid with you.

bill

Old 06-23-2016, 03:36 PM

902 posts, read 1,104,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I blame Trump.

(better get that card ready)
what? no, this is obviously Bush's fault

Old 06-23-2016, 03:44 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This guy was a high school chemistry teacher? Unbelievable. It's horrible enough that he left her there in the hot car but trying to revive her by putting her in the refrigerator is just plain moronic. An educated person should know better.

There ought to be a test given before people can be allowed to breed.
A lot of the newer generation grew up without unstructured play. When all of their time is scheduled, hovered, play dated, there isn't a lot of freedom to sniff the air, smell the flowers, have one's antennae up to read, absorb, experience, to understand that chilled water does the job better than chilled air. And they apparently weren't around during a time when people cautioned their young about the dangers of refrigerators either.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:09 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
What do schools have to do with it? Common sense can't be taught. You either have it, or you don't.
The purpose of government schools is to make sure no one has common sense. Common sense is too dangerous to our betters.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:15 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
I thought high school chemistry teachers were in demand. Maybe his lack of employment speaks volumes about him.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:40 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is such a sad story!

Man attempts to revive infant left in hot car by placing her in refrigerator - SFGate

It is the time of year, when you leave the car, check all your seats to make sure you haven't left anything or anyone!

And as an aside, people of all walks of life leave their kids in the car! Great research presented here:

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?
This is a tragic story, but I laughed when I first read this. What a moron. When I read these stories I don't buy absent-mindedness as an excuse. There is no excuse.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:15 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Two decades ago, this was relatively rare. But in the early 1990s, car-safety experts declared that passenger-side front airbags could kill children, and they recommended that child seats be moved to the back of the car; then, for even more safety for the very young, that the baby seats be pivoted to face the rear. If few foresaw the tragic consequence of the lessened visibility of the child . . . well, who can blame them? What kind of person forgets a baby?

-------------------

I think this is an important part of the second article.

I remember my car seat when I was a toddler. I actually loved it, and it probably wasn't the safest if we had ever had a serious accident. It was sort of like a highchair seat that hooked over the front seats. It had a play steering wheel, with a bright red button in the center that mimicked a car horn. I would sit right next to my mom and pretend to drive.

No matter what happened, she never forgot me and left me in the car. Even if she had momentarily let me slip her mind, once she got up without taking me along, I would have seen it, and started to cry.

Maybe the industry needs to rethink where babies should be placed in cars. Ive read where adults have been trapped and killed by airbags, so maybe a second look should be taken with them too.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:28 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
I watched a program the other day that some female engineer has come up with a device that sends a signal to your cel phone if you get a few feet from your car with the toddler still occupying the seat in the rear.

Ain't it wonderful? Now we're reduced to developing "apps" to replace good old fashioned common sense parenting!

Next up...an app to remind you to take a freak'n bowel movement before you crap yourself.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Two decades ago, this was relatively rare. But in the early 1990s, car-safety experts declared that passenger-side front airbags could kill children, and they recommended that child seats be moved to the back of the car; then, for even more safety for the very young, that the baby seats be pivoted to face the rear. If few foresaw the tragic consequence of the lessened visibility of the child...
My thinking, too. And I would add that with these now ridiculously high headrests almost coming up to the inside roof, plus heavily-tinted backseat windows, a person can barely see into the backseat when exiting the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events