Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:24 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,744,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
This is exactly what most of the news is saying this morning. The brits who voted out basically want their country back.
According to reports they feel they've become too diluted with no benefit except to those flooding in and big business that takes advantage of the cheap labor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
This sounds very familiar.

The anger/passion is similar (not exact....but similar) to the political tidal wave in 1980.
And 2016!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 11:33 AM

2,271 posts, read 1,665,504 times
While there are pros and cons for Brexit, the situation boils down to the complete disconnect of the "elite" and government representatives to the growing unrest over the major immigration into England. Right or wrong, these opinions were obvious even a couple of years ago when we were there and you could feel the resentment seething within some areas.

The upper class who resisted Brexit was not the ones being pushed out of their council apartments to make room for larger immigrant families. Even worse, remember the widely reported story of the family from Somalia living in a Kensington mansion with their many children, paid by the taxpayers (he was an unemployed bus driver)? The elite were not finding the NHS overcrowded and more difficult to receive medical care for themselves and their families. Their communities and schools were not changing rapidly into immigrant enclaves.

Remember this referendum timeframe was established before the huge refugee crisis in Europe, which seemed to be in the nail in the coffin for a positive vote for the EU. I think the whole process was completely bungled by the government, including threats and a supercilious attitude, and the people responded with a profound distrust of what their representatives were telling them.

It will be an interesting and probably painful process going forward.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:54 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
The US is a giant, continent-spanning collection of federated states already, so this is a pretty terrible metaphor.
It's much closer and more centralized than a simple confederation, tho.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:10 PM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
It's probably the end of the UK. Scotland wanted to remain in the EU by about two thirds. Another Scottish independence vote will be around the corner, and this time I bet they get it.
There is a problem with the whole Scottish premise, firstly if they were to vote for independence they would have to negotiate back in to the EU on the EU's own terms and all new members are required to adopt the Euro as there currency meaning very little real independence.

Secondly Scotland exports are around £70 Billion a year, of which £50 Billion is trade with the UK and mainly with England who will keep the pound. The Scots export a further £21 Billion around the globe including Europe.

Having a different currency to the English and being in a different trading block would cause massive problems to the Scottish Economy and the Scottish would be reliant on coming to some form of Trade Agreement with the English.

Then as two different countries in two different economic zones you would require strict border controls and the Scots may even have to have a passport to visit England and vice versa.

In reality the problems the Scots would face are now far worse than they were previously.

In terms of the Catholic parties such as Sein Fein in Northern Ireland they have always opposed the current structure of the European Union and have been Euroskeptics.

The Argument has always been why campaign to break away from a British Union, only to have national sovereignty handed over to a European Union.

Whilst the Unionist protestants are just that Unionists, who strongly support the United Kingdom, so any vote would most likely be along sectarian lines and would most likely result in the current status quo.

Northern Ireland currently has it's own Parliament/Assembly at Stormont, and Ulster has always had strong independent identity, with Belfast and Stormont being their capital and Parliament and not Dublin.

Whilst the Welsh voted to leave the EU along with the English.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-24-2016 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 12:11 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,027,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Two words.

Jamie Fraser.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...0922c9c938.jpg

And kilts. And bagpipes.
Well, OK, I'll give you that one. (Never heard of him, but I like what I see.)

Old 06-24-2016, 12:11 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Are the people celebrating on the streets with guy fawkes masks?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:12 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,027,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
We need to come up with a name for when the US attempts to "take the country back". uSexit?
Texit, because that's where it will start.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Oh, my - time for you binge on "Outlander."

http://www.yareah.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/21.jpg

You can thank me later. LOL

Old 06-24-2016, 12:22 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
This sounds very familiar.

The anger/passion is similar (not exact....but similar) to the political tidal wave in 1980.
Nothing similar at all. Ronald Reagan was very pro-big business and always acted in their best interests. He was also pro-immigration.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:23 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

The actor actually worked on the Scottish Independence campaign too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events