U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2016, 09:59 AM
 
9,917 posts, read 12,988,856 times
Reputation: 5466

Advertisements

Motivational speaker Robbins' coal walk burns more than 30 - Houston Chronicle


Alrighty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2016, 11:06 AM
 
998 posts, read 1,186,469 times
Reputation: 1701
It's the positive thinking that probably did them in. The whole thing about fire walking is that your are nervous and your feet are sweaty helping to prevent you from getting burned and walking fast also helps. So if you are overly confident in the whole thing then maybe your feet don't sweat and you get burned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 11:22 AM
 
8,069 posts, read 3,896,137 times
Reputation: 27627
So a 0.4% failure rate at this event? Okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 6,836,206 times
Reputation: 37337
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
It's the positive thinking that probably did them in. The whole thing about fire walking is that your are nervous and your feet are sweaty helping to prevent you from getting burned and walking fast also helps. So if you are overly confident in the whole thing then maybe your feet don't sweat and you get burned.
I think it was being so monumentally freakin' stupid that they willfully walked over hot coals that did them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 11:46 AM
 
8,069 posts, read 3,896,137 times
Reputation: 27627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I think it was being so monumentally freakin' stupid that they willfully walked over hot coals that did them in.
And yet nearly 7000 people did it without injury ... just at this one event. **shrugs**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County
11,085 posts, read 9,014,190 times
Reputation: 29049
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
So a 0.4% failure rate at this event? Okay.
That would be 0.4% admitting to failure. The other 99.6% are too positive to admit their feet were burned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 11:54 AM
 
9,917 posts, read 12,988,856 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_geek View Post
that would be 0.4% admitting to failure. The other 99.6% are too positive to admit their feet were burned.
..............

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,262 posts, read 49,821,133 times
Reputation: 67103
I've done it.

You just walk fast.

Not running or jumping, but a steady pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 07:20 PM
 
Location: OC, CA
9,862 posts, read 13,210,316 times
Reputation: 8730
Tony has had a few issues over a 20 year period or so, but that guy has done a lot for me and other friends and family.

I truly wish there were more people like Tony in this toxic world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 6,836,206 times
Reputation: 37337
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
And yet nearly 7000 people did it without injury ... just at this one event. **shrugs**
I'm sure more than 7000 idiots will drive home drunk tonight, too, and arrive safely. Your point?

Look, this is physics. Mere thoughts will not prevent the extreme kinetic energy present on hot coals from transferring to bare feet that come into contact with said coals, thereby inflicting burns upon those feet. What's next, dowsing for water? Sacrificing a chicken?

What doesn't surprise me one bit is that there is an endless supply of fools willing to pay good money to charlatans like Tony Robbins in order to be fooled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top