U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:37 PM

12,089 posts, read 5,609,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
To me giving the guy a gym membership or exercise equipment is condescending, and an order of magnitude more insulting than calling him fatty. I respect his right to be fat.

@ anyone that thinks "fatty" is such a horrible insult, what descriptor do you use to describe a fat person?

Suppose you are at a graduation and there are 50 people on stage all dressed alike, you want to point out you Brother who is on stage to someone else, your brother is standing next to a very fat guy, do you say "my brother is the guy standing next to the very fat guy", or do you use some euphemism for fat which is pointless because it means the same thing, or do you engage in some needlessly complicated description "he is the sixth guy from the left in the second row" because you don't want to point out the fat guy in the room? And btw, if you answered: I would describe him as fat but I would not call him fat to his face, that is hypocrisy.

I acknowledge that "fat guy" or "large guy" would have been a better descriptor for the server to use than "fatty", as "fatty" has kind of a juvenile edge to it, like calling a guy named Bill, Billy. But even those are not acceptable to many of the posters in this thread. Ideally they would like everyone to be willfully blind to the fact that the guy is obviously very fat. That is an attempt to abridge speech, and I will not allow my speech to be abridged.
How you are unable to understand that calling someone a fatty to their voice or writing it on a receipt where they will most likely see it is totally rude is beyond me. It's not rocket science to have some common decency & manners. No wonder people think this country is declining, blame it on the people who were born in a barn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 04:53 PM

11,434 posts, read 19,456,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
How you are unable to understand that calling someone a fatty to their voice or writing it on a receipt where they will most likely see it is totally rude is beyond me. It's not rocket science to have some common decency & manners. No wonder people think this country is declining, blame it on the people who were born in a barn.
This totally.

Look, I may think as I go through my day and run into people asking me ridiculous questions "What a stupid moron!"

If I actually said that, I would expect to get punched in the face. Why do people think saying rude hostile things think there should be no repercussions?

These are horrible small people saying things like this to build themselves up.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:14 PM

4,598 posts, read 3,752,910 times
What a disrespectful punk. The waiter is an idiot because this could follow him for a while. Good luck explaining why you got fired at interviews in the near future, and the owner is within his right to tell future employers about this if/when they call.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:37 AM

4,266 posts, read 1,470,145 times
dude did kind of look like a fatty it seems. dont be scared of the truth.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:49 AM

531 posts, read 233,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Exactly, maybe everyone should jump on social media and the new every time someone offends them. Im sure that will teach people not to call a fatty fatty.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:16 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,475,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh
Yea well thee days YA DONT SAY A WORD!!! (Trust me I know......... Ya say the slightest thing and it sets someone off,makes them mad,etc)

Old 07-03-2016, 12:02 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,503,366 times
I love how people on this board thinks that people are so sensitive now compared to the past. Really, think about that. Yes, there is a change in use of words that are offensive to people (like the n word, fatty, retard, etc). But in reality we are able to say so much more, do so much more and be way more free and independent then in our history. Its been a progressive thing, and its part of the evolution of humans. Just because people are not ok with you being a jerk dose not mean people are getting more uptight, it just means your jerk speak is less tolerated.

But go back in time and see all the things you couldn't say, talk about, talk about freely in mixed company, who you couldn't talk to, and what could get you killed for saying.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:33 PM

11,672 posts, read 13,884,813 times
While I agree that this shouldn't be front page news, I also don't understand the motivation for saying cruel things about people, nor do I understand the tolerance of such behavior.

I actually think the guy should have been made to make a public apology to the man instead of being fired. It likely would have had a bigger impact.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:54 PM

4,266 posts, read 1,470,145 times
he got his 15 mins of news time (over something insanely stupid, even). so its time to move on.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:07 PM

5,276 posts, read 2,882,570 times
"Don't be a d*ck" is good advice. Apparently the server didn't know this. But, overall, it's really super advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events