U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 07:28 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,137,674 times

Advertisements

Whilst these things are indeed inappropriate and rude, just why do they have to be made into news stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 08:30 PM

1,864 posts, read 1,426,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
No pic of Dillion in that article. There is a head shot the NYDNes article Restaurant owner fires his son after he called customer "fatty" - NY Daily News

Based upon the head shot he does appear to be very fat so the descriptor fatty is factually accurate. On one hand I understand that it was possibly intended as an insult, but it is possible it was intended as just a reminder as to whose drink it was. Like saying 'black girl' or 'Short guy'. it is not like fatty is clearly a horrible pejorative description. It is not like they refused to serve him. One being proud to be fat is a personal decision and right, but expecting people to not use the word fat to describe you, when you are clearly very fat, seems irrational to me.

agree. Fat acceptance is destructive to society. It is like any other physical ailment. You are sick. To get better, eat less. Not every fatty has hypothyroid. It is *not* like an injury you can't help like a back or leg injury. Although many people that get injuries (I can relate) can move less. Well... eat less, and eat healthier. It's calories in/calories out. Not rocket science. If you aren't running miles a day stop eating McDonalds. Duh.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:06 PM

1,354 posts, read 656,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
agree. Fat acceptance is destructive to society. It is like any other physical ailment. You are sick. To get better, eat less. Not every fatty has hypothyroid. It is *not* like an injury you can't help like a back or leg injury. Although many people that get injuries (I can relate) can move less. Well... eat less, and eat healthier. It's calories in/calories out. Not rocket science. If you aren't running miles a day stop eating McDonalds. Duh.
Refraining from using rude descriptions for paying customers is not fat acceptance, it's common courtesy.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:55 PM

5,532 posts, read 5,765,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Customer called ‘fatty’ on receipt; restaurant owner apologizes | WAVY-TV

He needs to accept their apology and prove that he is a mature and forgiving person. Kids can be cruel, and the Father did the right thing!
Was that customer fat indeed?

Old 06-26-2016, 02:41 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,143,996 times
Lol fatty is not a bad description!

Old 06-26-2016, 03:16 AM

9,264 posts, read 10,263,840 times
The last lines of the artticle read, ''On Wednesday night he appeared to be making his feelings known with his stomach, posting on Facebook that he was going to a nearby pizza joint.''

One can only wonder how much pizza he consumed to heal his wounded soul.

Restaurant owner fires his son after he called customer "fatty" - NY Daily News

Old 06-26-2016, 06:08 AM

9,679 posts, read 5,333,475 times
Wow some of you are completely clueless. Fatty is most definitely a "bad description", it is not always a result of poor life choices, and understanding this is not "fat acceptance" it is common sense.

Surburban Guy nailed it, a customer should never be treated this way. I don't blame him for not wanting to go back, he just wants to turn the page.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-26-2016 at 07:10 AM..

Old 06-26-2016, 07:55 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,188,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Was that customer fat indeed?
He most certainly was obese, and although it was inappropriate for him to be referred to as "Fatty"- young folks can be downright cruel sometimes.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:53 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,519,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
No pic of Dillion in that article. There is a head shot the NYDNes article Restaurant owner fires his son after he called customer "fatty" - NY Daily News

Based upon the head shot he does appear to be very fat so the descriptor fatty is factually accurate. On one hand I understand that it was possibly intended as an insult, but it is possible it was intended as just a reminder as to whose drink it was. Like saying 'black girl' or 'Short guy'. it is not like fatty is clearly a horrible pejorative description. It is not like they refused to serve him. One being proud to be fat is a personal decision and right, but expecting people to not use the word fat to describe you, when you are clearly very fat, seems irrational to me.
Is this a joke?

Why do you have to change the word, then? "People" didn't use the word "fat". "They" used the word "fatty". Don't paraphrase when we're discussing specific language.

So your position is that it's IRRATIONAL for someone to NOT describe a fat person as "FATTY"? Do you walk around in life doing so - especially to people's faces? Especially to people giving you MONEY?

Do you do that at work? Do you do that at restaurants if the server is fat? "Hi fatty, I'll have a large pizza with pepperoni."

Are you seriously with a straight face saying that word isn't pejorative?

Were you ever a server or patron in a restaurant? You don't write descriptions of the customers on their order receipts.

What about "FA -GGY"?

What about "Muslim" for a woman in headgear?

What about "Gimp" for a guy with a fake leg?

"Black girl" is not the same as "Fatty".

After, all, they're simply "observations", right?

The equivalent to "Fatty" for a black girl (or even just the words black girl), would cause all kinds of national media attention, blanket coverage on Cable and Network news, BLM protests, and Hillary Clinton creating a new commercial somehow blaming her opponent.

Here's a thought:

People should read threads on City Data about weight and start calling self professed overweight people "FATTY" and see how long that would last.

I think you should try it!

Old 06-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Status: "If it ain't broke, update it until it is." (set 14 hours ago)

13,454 posts, read 7,591,960 times
I'm sure this is another way of setting up a poorly paid waiter just to get his 15 minutes of fame and possibly a money grab These stories happen so often I'm very skeptical of their truth. And even if it were true, the customer needs to put his XXL pants on and get on with his life. People say mean things all the time. You just ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events