U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 AM

20,876 posts, read 22,462,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
American in general are obese. My wife, who is from Colombia, where you rarely see a fat person, notices this all the time. Maybe the patron should see this as a message from his guardian angel and lose weight instead of making a big deal about it. When I was working, we had this family who last name was Fatty, and the entire family of six was obese except for one son was as thin as a rail. It might have been a genetic thing. I always felt bad for them because I imagined how much teasing they must have gotten in school (kids can be so cruel).
And maybe the patron was overweight because of circumstances other than overeating. Whatever the cause, it's not a stranger's business to dictate what he should be doing about his weight. That's just rude and mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 AM

729 posts, read 294,234 times
This is your "WE WANT $15 AN HOUR" crowd right here.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:33 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,494,840 times
I thought, a thread we'd all be in agreement on. Boy was I wrong. Anyone who thinks its ok what this azz server wrote, is just like him I guess. Anyone who thinks the guest is overreacting or should just get over it, is saying its no big deal to give your hard earned money to someone to insult you.

There is Never a need to describe a customer on a ticket, nor is it a time saving solution. This was nothing but a jerk move, period. Glad his dad did the right thing.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:55 AM

21,472 posts, read 22,724,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
They never have to refer to people as anything. Tables and bar seats are numbered, so when you serve a drink and food you serve to table 8 or chair 12. Nothing else is needed. More than that, anything else takes more time.
I have been to a few places where the restaurant/bar didn't have a sophisticated computer system, so for a large party the servers did use descriptors for each seat. Luckily for them it was non-offensive stuff like "red shirt", "glasses", "Penn State" (for the guy in the PSU t-shirt.) We had fun comparing our nicknames when the checks came.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:05 AM

9,431 posts, read 5,216,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
People are too sensitive these days.
Again you have no idea what it's like to go through life as a big person, hearing the snickers, comments and absorbing the looks. It's incredibly insensitive of you to say this because you don't know anything about what it's like.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:07 AM

9,431 posts, read 5,216,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I thought, a thread we'd all be in agreement on. Boy was I wrong. Anyone who thinks its ok what this azz server wrote, is just like him I guess. Anyone who thinks the guest is overreacting or should just get over it, is saying its no big deal to give your hard earned money to someone to insult you.

There is Never a need to describe a customer on a ticket, nor is it a time saving solution. This was nothing but a jerk move, period. Glad his dad did the right thing.
We could have a thread saying it's wrong to drown puppies and some would come to the defense of the guy doing the drowning or the owner was too sensitive. That is becoming more obvious by the day around here.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 AM
gg

16,961 posts, read 17,195,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Much ado about nothing.
Lol, and we are on page 7! So some kid wrote "fatty". Wow, there is a shocker.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:41 AM

7,871 posts, read 6,819,268 times
Likely a hoax.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:51 AM

13,349 posts, read 16,529,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Get insulted at a restaurant....then call CNN.

*Sigh*
The customer posted on FB and readers shared it with the local newstation (a CNN affiliate) and they ran with it. It's not like the customer picked up the phone and called CNN.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:03 PM

11,432 posts, read 19,456,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I have been to a few places where the restaurant/bar didn't have a sophisticated computer system, so for a large party the servers did use descriptors for each seat. Luckily for them it was non-offensive stuff like "red shirt", "glasses", "Penn State" (for the guy in the PSU t-shirt.) We had fun comparing our nicknames when the checks came.
I waitressed before there were computers. The tables always had numbers, because you were assigned tables by numbers, and if someone flagged you from a table that wasn't yours you also knew whose table it was by the number.

When you took the order you wrote what table it went to on the ticket, so if you went on break, the relief server knew what table it went to.

What if PENN STATE took off his hat? Sorry, no restaurant worth its salt would rely on that. The table number system has been used forever....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events