Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:52 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,090,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“[The server] legit ID’ed me as ‘fatty,’ then he wouldn’t admit it. They lost mine and my friends business,” the 24-year-old stated in his post.
He should have demanded the server be fired. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of infantile behaviour, yet we seem to hear more and more of these kinds of incidents every week.

One another note, this is just one of the many reasons I don't support a $15/hour minimum wage for these yahoos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 03:24 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,790,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
He should have demanded the server be fired. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of infantile behaviour, yet we seem to hear more and more of these kinds of incidents every week.

One another note, this is just one of the many reasons I don't support a $15/hour minimum wage for these yahoos.

The server was fired.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:27 PM

16,190 posts, read 10,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm sure this is another way of setting up a poorly paid waiter just to get his 15 minutes of fame and possibly a money grab These stories happen so often I'm very skeptical of their truth. And even if it were true, the customer needs to put his XXL pants on and get on with his life. People say mean things all the time. You just ignore them.

The reason you hear about stories like this happening so often is the internet makes them available, this was not always the case. The stories always happened, we just didn't know about them in the past.

Unfortunately the trade off for the existence of the internet is we have to hear people who share your opinion voice those opinions on message boards.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-26-2016 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 03:31 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,915,287 times
I think the server/son achieved his desired result. He probably didn't want to work in his old man's restaurant anyway.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:36 PM

19,505 posts, read 12,134,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Is this a joke?

Why do you have to change the word, then? "People" didn't use the word "fat". "They" used the word "fatty". Don't paraphrase when we're discussing specific language.

So your position is that it's IRRATIONAL for someone to NOT describe a fat person as "FATTY"? Do you walk around in life doing so - especially to people's faces? Especially to people giving you MONEY?

Do you do that at work? Do you do that at restaurants if the server is fat? "Hi fatty, I'll have a large pizza with pepperoni."

Are you seriously with a straight face saying that word isn't pejorative?

Were you ever a server or patron in a restaurant? You don't write descriptions of the customers on their order receipts.

What about "FA -GGY"?

What about "Muslim" for a woman in headgear?

What about "Gimp" for a guy with a fake leg?

"Black girl" is not the same as "Fatty".

After, all, they're simply "observations", right?

The equivalent to "Fatty" for a black girl (or even just the words black girl), would cause all kinds of national media attention, blanket coverage on Cable and Network news, BLM protests, and Hillary Clinton creating a new commercial somehow blaming her opponent.

Here's a thought:

People should read threads on City Data about weight and start calling self professed overweight people "FATTY" and see how long that would last.

I think you should try it!

Yes, by adding the -y or -ie it cute-ifies the insult, so no harm.

Customer is-
dark skinned - darkie
disabled - gimpy
thin - bony
large breasted - chesty
small breasted - flattie
elderly - oldie
bald - baldy

I'd bet the owner would never have done that in his father's restaurant if he worked for him. He must be really humiliated by his son.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,853,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
American in general are obese. My wife, who is from Colombia, where you rarely see a fat person, notices this all the time. Maybe the patron should see this as a message from his guardian angel and lose weight instead of making a big deal about it. When I was working, we had this family who last name was Fatty, and the entire family of six was obese except for one son was as thin as a rail. It might have been a genetic thing. I always felt bad for them because I imagined how much teasing they must have gotten in school (kids can be so cruel).
OMG what utter CRAP! Like the guy doesn't know about his body shape? It is his business and shouldn't be called names or shamed on it. He doesn't need a "guardian angel". OMG what delusional crap.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:25 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,066,155 times
He fired his own son, props given to the owner. He takes his job and business seriously.

As far as the kid goes, I hope this is a valuable lesson for him. If not, his dad won't be the only person to fire him

Old 06-26-2016, 05:51 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,234,725 times
Servers who need reminders of which customer each ticket is for should use code words. If the person reminds them of someone they know, they can use that person's name. If the person seems to weigh 500 pounds, they can write 500 without mentioning pounds. If the person is skinny as a beanpole, they can write Jack for Jack and the Beanstalk. Etc. It doesn't do any good to put the person's real name down, because the server can't remember which person is which real name.

Maybe the server intended to scribble out the fatty before giving the ticket, but forgot? That's a good reason to use code words.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:31 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,191,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
No pic of Dillion in that article. There is a head shot the NYDNes article Restaurant owner fires his son after he called customer "fatty" - NY Daily News

Based upon the head shot he does appear to be very fat so the descriptor fatty is factually accurate. On one hand I understand that it was possibly intended as an insult, but it is possible it was intended as just a reminder as to whose drink it was. Like saying 'black girl' or 'Short guy'. it is not like fatty is clearly a horrible pejorative description. It is not like they refused to serve him. One being proud to be fat is a personal decision and right, but expecting people to not use the word fat to describe you, when you are clearly very fat, seems irrational to me.
They never have to refer to people as anything. Tables and bar seats are numbered, so when you serve a drink and food you serve to table 8 or chair 12. Nothing else is needed. More than that, anything else takes more time.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:16 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,779,062 times
Get insulted at a restaurant....then call CNN.

*Sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events