U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-25-2016, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Transition Island
1,679 posts, read 2,316,619 times
Reputation: 719

Advertisements

Customer called ‘fatty’ on receipt; restaurant owner apologizes | WAVY-TV

He needs to accept their apology and prove that he is a mature and forgiving person. Kids can be cruel, and the Father did the right thing!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2016, 12:12 PM
 
8,740 posts, read 4,813,917 times
Reputation: 16101
Yes, the owner did the right thing - and I respect him that he owned up and accepted responsibility for what happened...so many today don't even seem to know where to begin to own up to Personal Responsibility.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Denver and Boston
2,072 posts, read 1,772,231 times
Reputation: 3790
No pic of Dillion in that article. There is a head shot the NYDNes article Restaurant owner fires his son after he called customer "fatty" - NY Daily News

Based upon the head shot he does appear to be very fat so the descriptor fatty is factually accurate. On one hand I understand that it was possibly intended as an insult, but it is possible it was intended as just a reminder as to whose drink it was. Like saying 'black girl' or 'Short guy'. it is not like fatty is clearly a horrible pejorative description. It is not like they refused to serve him. One being proud to be fat is a personal decision and right, but expecting people to not use the word fat to describe you, when you are clearly very fat, seems irrational to me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 12:49 PM
 
15,574 posts, read 8,616,030 times
Reputation: 14037
Much ado about nothing.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 01:14 PM
 
12,276 posts, read 5,704,821 times
Reputation: 13568
The server was the owner's son, and he still treated him as any other employee by firing him and banning him from the restaurant. Serious kudos to that.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Riverside Ca
21,700 posts, read 24,254,772 times
Reputation: 34071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
No pic of Dillion in that article. There is a head shot the NYDNes article Restaurant owner fires his son after he called customer "fatty" - NY Daily News

Based upon the head shot he does appear to be very fat so the descriptor fatty is factually accurate. On one hand I understand that it was possibly intended as an insult, but it is possible it was intended as just a reminder as to whose drink it was. Like saying 'black girl' or 'Short guy'. it is not like fatty is clearly a horrible pejorative description. It is not like they refused to serve him. One being proud to be fat is a personal decision and right, but expecting people to not use the word fat to describe you, when you are clearly very fat, seems irrational to me.
Or he could of said "big dude with mustache" or "big dude red vest" or "big dude with blank" . While I understand using a somewhat derogatory term to remember someone I'm sure he wouldn't like another waiter remembering him as the Ahole with the blue shirt
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
28,093 posts, read 31,831,658 times
Reputation: 28150
That owner is awesome. The son however could use some work.

If the server legitimately uses short descriptors for his patrons why not "big guy" or "linebacker?"

Or even table 15.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 02:04 PM
 
1,806 posts, read 958,257 times
Reputation: 7793
Physical characteristic descriptions should be a big NO. Just use the table number.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
3,093 posts, read 2,347,193 times
Reputation: 8244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That owner is awesome. The son however could use some work.

If the server legitimately uses short descriptors for his patrons why not "big guy" or "linebacker?"

Or even table 15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Physical characteristic descriptions should be a big NO. Just use the table number.
Most of the places I go just ask me what name I want them to put on my tab -- Just like the server tells me his or her name. meh
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 02:34 PM
 
7,844 posts, read 4,290,856 times
Reputation: 8849
Oh, I have heard it from the opposite side of the coin at 5'1" and 100 lbs. Do you want the Kiddie Menu? Actually, CAN I?????

Morons are Morons and deserve to be fired for insulting their customers, PERIOD.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top