U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 01:03 PM

1,448 posts, read 818,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Look for racism hard enough and you will find it in everything, even if it's all in your head.
So if we just ignore it all racism will disappear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 01:15 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,721,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
So if we just ignore it all racism will disappear?
Racism will only disappear when a meteor strikes the earth and eliminates mankind. You think the Chinese and Japanese will ever stop hating each other? Will the Arabs, Kurds and Jewish people will lay down their arms? Can cartoon artists stop spreading their propaganda????

Trivializing true travesty with silly things like this poster argument only diminishes the focus on the true problems in the world.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:19 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,632,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What extreme?
I quoted the wrong quote. You and/or someone else that shares your "outrage" over this "outrage" had suggested a silly WHAT IF scenario that if the poster had to be changed to depict all the brown kids as angels and all the white kids as devils, and if that would be okay. OR okay, if it had been done that way in the first place. OR if you would be allowed to be upset about it.

No one is buying the self deprecating, "oh woe is me!" plight of the white man who can't function in life any more because of stories like this.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,632,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
They could have used cats, dogs and giraffes to get their point across. Or purple people.
Exactly. Somewhere, the guy/girl who drew this is laughing about it. Maybe they thought they toed the line enough to get it to fly under the radar, but it in this day in age I don't get why people don't know how to avoid controversy altogether rather than try to make a sly statement like this - intentional or other wise doesn't matter.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:39 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,376,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
Racism will only disappear when a meteor strikes the earth and eliminates mankind. You think the Chinese and Japanese will ever stop hating each other? Will the Arabs, Kurds and Jewish people will lay down their arms? Can cartoon artists stop spreading their propaganda????

Trivializing true travesty with silly things like this poster argument only diminishes the focus on the true problems in the world.
Well, I don't live in China, Japan, or the Middle East.

What are you saying, that racial hatred exists in other parts of the world so we should just be the same as them??? wow

That poster IS NOT trivial! People are affected by what they see. What people see and are exposed to makes an impression on their minds. You don't know that?

Old 06-29-2016, 01:58 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,629,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

Uggabugga, I saw it as the NAACP showing America how ignorant they were to science, outer space and our solar system. Clearly they'd never heard of black holes. Looking back, it's even funnier now than it was then. Hallmark should have weathered that storm rather than bow down to the uneducated pressure.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:14 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,721,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, I don't live in China, Japan, or the Middle East.
So you think you are better than others and don't care for their well being based on racial and geographical prejudice? You consider yourself superior to those people based on where you happen to live?

Quote:
What are you saying, that racial hatred exists in other parts of the world so we should just be the same as them??? wow
You don't need to put words in my post. Your example of hatred is miniscule in comparison. If it was truly done in malice, which I'm still not convinced it was, it's the best you can expect from the human race. Just look how quickly even you marginalized others based on nothing more than geographic location and race.

Quote:
That poster IS NOT trivial! People are affected by what they see. What people see and are exposed to makes an impression on their minds. You don't know that?
If an explanation is needed it is trivial. This is trivial. The people pushing this forward as offensive are weakening their case against far more serious offenses based on race. By making everyone and everything racist you are making less and less people care about racism.

If this is the top example of racism in america today then we have made exceptional social progress in a very short time. It surely isn't, but this is what you chose to champion?

Old 06-29-2016, 02:49 PM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 5 days ago)

17,345 posts, read 8,536,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I believe this is because organizations keep apologizing rather than standing up for themselves.

Who remembers the Hallmark Card that caused the NAACP to war against the company? Though clearly the graduation card says "black holes", not "black hos", Hallmark apologized and recalled the greeting card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k--lBw8nTCk

Now THAT was ridiculous.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:53 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,376,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
So you think you are better than others and don't care for their well being based on racial and geographical prejudice? You consider yourself superior to those people based on where you happen to live?

Please point out how I consider myself superior to others.

You don't need to put words in my post. Your example of hatred is miniscule in comparison. If it was truly done in malice, which I'm still not convinced it was, it's the best you can expect from the human race. Just look how quickly even you marginalized others based on nothing more than geographic location and race.

I guess you have low standards, then. I have hope that the US can lick the problem of ingrained hatred of other races. Once again, please point out where I marginalized others. YOU brought up other countries as an example showing that Oh, well! racism exists in other countries so we shouldn't bother doing anything about it in the US.

If an explanation is needed it is trivial. This is trivial. The people pushing this forward as offensive are weakening their case against far more serious offenses based on race. By making everyone and everything racist you are making less and less people care about racism.

Those people don't care about racism, anyway. The best one could hope for is that they don't pass their prejudices on to their children, and seeing a poster like the one in question will only reinforce whatever bigotry their children have been taught. It doesn't do much for the self-esteem of Black children, either. It's not a trivial thing.

If this is the top example of racism in america today then we have made exceptional social progress in a very short time. It surely isn't, but this is what you chose to champion?
It's racism. Is there a point system in your mind? Some acts of racism only rate a 1 on your scale? Yes, we have come a long way. There is still quite a way to go, though. Why would someone clean a house but not sweep the floor? Why would someone restore a classic car but not fix the engine? A lot of the heavy lifting has been done; we need to clean up the crumbs.

I think the effort is worthwhile; YMMV. I didn't 'choose to champion' this particular subject. I posted in a thread. Just like you.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:46 PM

30,387 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Imo, there were more "not cool" black kids than white kids. I don't think it's that bad. The only one I don't like is the black girl pushing the white girl in the water.

Oh, heaven forbid a black kid should be depicted as pushing a white kid in the water.

But as long as whiners and the perpetually-offended have nothing better to do than bean-count, they might want to take a closer look at that poster. The arrows are, in fact, between the black pusher and white pushee (they're BOTH engaged in horseplay), and between the white and black kid at the top (they're BOTH running around the perimeter of the pool--always a big no-no).

The only mistake the Red Cross made was apologizing for nothing. On second thought, they made a bigger mistake: tagging a [gasp!] blonde as "cool" in a pool full of diversity. In 2016, that's the biggest no-no of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events