U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 05:17 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Oh, heaven forbid a black kid should be depicted as pushing a white kid in the water.

Why not show a white kid pushing a white kid in the water.

Or a wiley fox pushing a cute kitty cat in the water.

Or an orange lego boy pushing an orange lego girl in the water.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 05:48 PM

26,914 posts, read 28,270,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
so this poster is the same as segregation? this is the same as Jim Crow laws? Apartheid? Hafrada?

When I hear the word "Racist" I think of someone who wants someone else removed or dead strictly based on their race. Have we really allowed that term to be diluted to describe a decision that some people feel someone made subconsciously? If so, a powerful word used to describe a horrid person has been destroyed.

Grasping at straws by posting someone's lack of scientific knowledge of the reproductive system is a little silly as well. I don't even know what your were trying to do there.
People can be racist. And we also have racist systems (and a racism ingrained into our social structures). This poster is one of the ways systemic racism manifests.

Another one? When you look at portrayals of black women in the media, particularly darker ones, there isn't a variety of roles available. Typically mammy, poor single mom or sassy friend. Guess what happens in real life -- people think that is true! And treat black women accordingly. See the correlation.

Happens to me all the time. People just walk up to me speaking in weird slang when 1 minute earlier they weren't talking that way when they talked to someone else. Or people assume I don't have a professional job and act shocked when they find out I do.

So while you think this poster means nothing, my day to day life shows me all of this messaging perpetrates and people act accordingly.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:40 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,412,788 times
hey fox terrier, let's say we are on the same side, and view racists as uneducated and unopen in their mind at best, and raging hateful idiots at worst. (I am somewhere between those two). Well.. what are you trying to accomplish? And, what are you doing, to that end? The first, would be to work to continue to reduce racism. Good. Me too. I voted Sanders and crisscrossed my city canvassing for him with women of color. Second is the tactic (vs the strategy, per se.) Attack the Red Cross over a poster which may or may not have a tinge of unintentional very subtle racism (although honestly I think there is none here) .You succeed in pissing off a good portion of liberals from all races particularly whites, who are important partners and allies, as well as of course basically all conservatives of all stripes and they are a large number of Americans. You only increase your popularity among a small segment of the population, let's say 10%. You realize this is why the NAACP went from respected to the butt of a joke. And yes I think they are now doing more harm than good, just like affirmative action and race-baiting like what this is. But yep go ahead. Attack the American Red Cross. What's next attacking the Salvation Army? Doctors without Borders? Again, what do you want to accomplish, and what is the best way to do so? Would poking a hornets nest be the best way to remove it??

Old 06-29-2016, 10:50 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,552,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Is this an Onion article ? For F@&k's sake , if people see racism in that , they are going out of their way to find racism in everything and are part of the problem.
And you have just hit it on the head.

People cry "racism" so often that it's become "the boy who cried wolf" and is falling on mostly deaf ears. The only ones listening are whacktivists and companies worried about long,drawn out litigation that they'd win but would take time/money away from real important things.

More over, who really cares anymore?

Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 PM

26,914 posts, read 28,270,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
hey fox terrier, let's say we are on the same side, and view racists as uneducated and unopen in their mind at best, and raging hateful idiots at worst. (I am somewhere between those two). Well.. what are you trying to accomplish? And, what are you doing, to that end? The first, would be to work to continue to reduce racism. Good. Me too. I voted Sanders and crisscrossed my city canvassing for him with women of color. Second is the tactic (vs the strategy, per se.) Attack the Red Cross over a poster which may or may not have a tinge of unintentional very subtle racism (although honestly I think there is none here) .You succeed in pissing off a good portion of liberals from all races particularly whites, who are important partners and allies, as well as of course basically all conservatives of all stripes and they are a large number of Americans. You only increase your popularity among a small segment of the population, let's say 10%. You realize this is why the NAACP went from respected to the butt of a joke. And yes I think they are now doing more harm than good, just like affirmative action and race-baiting like what this is. But yep go ahead. Attack the American Red Cross. What's next attacking the Salvation Army? Doctors without Borders? Again, what do you want to accomplish, and what is the best way to do so? Would poking a hornets nest be the best way to remove it??
The problem with your statement is that you are making the assumption that only people are racists and dying the existence of structural racism. And this poster is influenced by that.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 PM

11,442 posts, read 6,496,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Why not show a white kid pushing a white kid in the water.

Or a wiley fox pushing a cute kitty cat in the water.

Or an orange lego boy pushing an orange lego girl in the water.
Could there be a real life scenario where more black kids are breaking rules? Would it be racist to say anything to the black kids? Maybe one should ignore the black kids breaking the rules until an equal number of white kids are found breaking the rules? Is reality sometimes racist without trying? Maybe teachers shouldn't give A grades to whites unless an equal number of blacks also get an A?

Old 06-30-2016, 02:04 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,974,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No need for anyone to search. It's pretty much 'in your face' racism.

Why is not ONE white kid doing anything wrong? The people who don't see anything wrong with the poster (and that could include the artist) see nothing wrong with it because they EXPECT Black kids to be the trouble-makers; they KNOW it in their hearts, even though there are millions of Black kids who do nothing wrong their entire lives; never see the inside of a jail, never were arrested.

That's ingrained racism.

Racism is NOT an active decision for children. This poster was aimed at children. As I said in a previous post, children are very impressionable. You don't think a Black kid will notice that ALL the Black kids in that poster are 'not cool'? And that all the White kids are cool?

Absolutely. No one who has been on the receiving end of this kind of discrimination will ever get it. Anyone who has ever walked into a public place and immediately get looked upon as a trouble maker before doing a single thing wrong can clearly see the problem with this poster. I have a child born in 2007, not 1967, who has been singled out for no reason, has had white kids tell her their parents don't want them playing with black children, and that I've had to explain that wherever she goes, she's going to be watched and judged 100 times closer than white children. She knows that she can sit and watch white kids run around acting like wild animals, but the second she does the same thing she'll get a different reaction. This poster just reinforces that kind of prejudice. And the people crying "get over it" and "stop looking for racism in everything" are the ones who keep stuff like this going forever. Why is it so hard to acknowledge what's wrong and make an effort to correct it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
People can be racist. And we also have racist systems (and a racism ingrained into our social structures). This poster is one of the ways systemic racism manifests.

Another one? When you look at portrayals of black women in the media, particularly darker ones, there isn't a variety of roles available. Typically mammy, poor single mom or sassy friend. Guess what happens in real life -- people think that is true! And treat black women accordingly. See the correlation.

Happens to me all the time. People just walk up to me speaking in weird slang when 1 minute earlier they weren't talking that way when they talked to someone else. Or people assume I don't have a professional job and act shocked when they find out I do.

So while you think this poster means nothing, my day to day life shows me all of this messaging perpetrates and people act accordingly.
I've experienced the same thing. If you are a person of color, there are people who are going to automatically make assumptions before you ever even open your mouth. And why not, when kids are being influenced by messages such as the one this poster conveys?

Old 06-30-2016, 08:13 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Could there be a real life scenario where more black kids are breaking rules? Would it be racist to say anything to the black kids? Maybe one should ignore the black kids breaking the rules until an equal number of white kids are found breaking the rules? Is reality sometimes racist without trying? Maybe teachers shouldn't give A grades to whites unless an equal number of blacks also get an A?
That is all irrelevant. This poster is not about settling a score or making a statement about race t all. It is supposed to show what is right and wrong and proper conduct in an around the pool FOR EVERYBODY.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:31 AM

4,100 posts, read 1,826,040 times
Got this in e-mail this morning:

"Thank you very much for your support of the American Red Cross and those we serve.

As you may be aware, the Red Cross has been criticized for one of the water safety posters we produced. If you have seen the poster in question, then you know it is clearly unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for its production and distribution.

I want you to know the Red Cross is doing everything in our power to fix the situation. We removed access to the poster from our website and the Swim App as of June 21. We have also reached out to each of the aquatics facilities across the country that received the poster and told them to remove it. Please know that we are looking closely at what steps were involved in the design and production of this poster, and how we can make sure something like this never happens again.

While I’m deeply concerned by this incident, I’m also very proud of our Learn to Swim program and the Centennial Campaign currently underway – which celebrates 100 years of the Red Cross teaching kids and adults to swim. We are working to reduce the drowning rate in 50 high-risk communities over a 5-year period by helping to teach at least 50,000 more people to swim. Anything that diverts us from our efforts to reduce the number of drownings is truly unfortunate.

While we have taken immediate action to address this situation, rest assured the Red Cross will learn from this incident as we move forward in our efforts to ensure we are a welcoming and safe place for everyone.

Thank you once again for your meaningful support of the Red Cross and our lifesaving mission. We are committed to fixing this situation and to being an organization that our wonderful donors, volunteers, employees and community partners can always be proud of.

Sincerely,

Gail McGovern
President and CEO
American Red Cross"

Old 06-30-2016, 11:43 AM

2,761 posts, read 990,851 times
Oh, brother...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events