U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
17,361 posts, read 8,542,942 times
Reputation: 18093

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Your response didn't really answer my question. How do you prove someone was subconsciously influenced by racism and that inspired their color choices?
It can't be proven, just as it's unlikely you can prove it was intentional, since most people would deny having done it on purpose. Under examination, a shrink may be able to determine whether or not something like this was more than likely subconsciously driven by the person, but even that wouldn't be 100% proven.

But it's not necessarily subconscious racism that would lead to someone doing this - and nobody has suggested as much. It could be the subliminal messaging he or she's been exposed to that lies in the subconscious that can lead to a poster like this.

The subconscious is a filing cabinet where we store everything we've processed from our experiences and influences. If he or she has grown up filing away information that minorities are out of control, wild, or less likely to follow the rules, and white children are better behaved, the end result could be this poster.

So not subconscious racism - subconscious impulse, for lack of a better word. The impulses of the subconscious mind creep in unseen when your conscious mind is thinking and planning and doing.

I'm not sure why you feel something that nobody has accused the artist of, needs to be proven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2016, 05:21 PM
 
11,356 posts, read 6,424,031 times
Reputation: 6112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It can't be proven, just as it's unlikely you can prove it was intentional, since most people would deny having done it on purpose. Under examination, a shrink may be able to determine whether or not something like this was more than likely subconsciously driven by the person, but even that wouldn't be 100% proven.

But it's not necessarily subconscious racism that would lead to someone doing this - and nobody has suggested as much. It could be the subliminal messaging he or she's been exposed to that lies in the subconscious that can lead to a poster like this.

The subconscious is a filing cabinet where we store everything we've processed from our experiences and influences. If he or she has grown up filing away information that minorities are out of control, wild, or less likely to follow the rules, and white children are better behaved, the end result could be this poster.

So not subconscious racism - subconscious impulse, for lack of a better word. The impulses of the subconscious mind creep in unseen when your conscious mind is thinking and planning and doing.

I'm not sure why you feel something that nobody has accused the artist of, needs to be proven.
If we are going to use the poster as an example of institutionalize racism, I think we need a little proof. It seems the only proof we have is the opinion that the person creating it could have some sort of subconscious racism/impulse going on. Perhaps the person's color choices were as random as picking colors out of a hat? If we assume certain people have subconscious racist tendencies - isn't that the same as looking at crime stats and assuming certain people have subconscious criminal tendencies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
17,361 posts, read 8,542,942 times
Reputation: 18093
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If we are going to use the poster as an example of institutionalize racism, I think we need a little proof. It seems the only proof we have is the opinion that the person creating it could have some sort of subconscious racism/impulse going on. Perhaps the person's color choices were as random as picking colors out of a hat? If we assume certain people have subconscious racist tendencies - isn't that the same as looking at crime stats and assuming certain people have subconscious criminal tendencies?

Who is using the poster as an example of institutionalized racism? Point to where you have proof that anyone has stated as much.

The objection is that it sends a message in looking at it. Period, end of story.

If you don't want to accept that, fine. But don't keep making it about something that nobody else is making it about.

And yes, the choices could have been random, which is why I said I don't think there was ill intent on the part of the artist. I said it was possible that it was a subconscious choice, but never stated that as fact. Yet you keep arguing that someone said it was fact and you're demanding proof based on something nobody has said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 07:59 PM
 
11,356 posts, read 6,424,031 times
Reputation: 6112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Who is using the poster as an example of institutionalized racism? Point to where you have proof that anyone has stated as much.
Subliminal, subconscious, institutionalized...the particular descriptor is irrelevant.

Quote:
The objection is that it sends a message in looking at it. Period, end of story.

If you don't want to accept that, fine. But don't keep making it about something that nobody else is making it about.

And yes, the choices could have been random, which is why I said I don't think there was ill intent on the part of the artist. I said it was possible that it was a subconscious choice, but never stated that as fact. Yet you keep arguing that someone said it was fact and you're demanding proof based on something nobody has said.
As I asked previously - does random chance send a message? If 5 black people and 5 white people are caught in a storm and 3 blacks die, but all the whites live - does that mean mother nature sent a message...period, end of story?

On one hand you say "it sends a message" but on the other you say "the choices could have been random".

Perhaps those getting a negative message from things they have no way of knowing are racist need to check their worldview. Is it possible we sometimes look for hidden messages that aren't really there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
17,361 posts, read 8,542,942 times
Reputation: 18093
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Subliminal, subconscious, institutionalized...the particular descriptor is irrelevant.

As I asked previously - does random chance send a message? If 5 black people and 5 white people are caught in a storm and 3 blacks die, but all the whites live - does that mean mother nature sent a message...period, end of story?

On one hand you say "it sends a message" but on the other you say "the choices could have been random".

Perhaps those getting a negative message from things they have no way of knowing are racist need to check their worldview. Is it possible we sometimes look for hidden messages that aren't really there?

You're speaking to someone who has experience in this field, yet you keep arguing as though you know more than I. Like I said in an earlier post, people here aren't interested in learning anything new.

My patience has run out. Think whatever you like and remain uneducated about the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 09:16 PM
 
7,022 posts, read 5,772,668 times
Reputation: 6963
If all you do is look for racism, then racism is all you'll find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 06:18 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
Reputation: 15430
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Jade, you're wasting your time. The technical term is called 'subliminal messaging' but these dopes aren't interested in learning anything, they simply want to point fingers. This kind of thing (or so they think) doesn't impact them, so they don't care. And in their minds, their fake outrage trumps real outrage any day.

If there was an ad telling women on campus to be extra cautious because of campus rapes, and it had a picture of a building in the background with Greek letters on it, they'd be pissed by the implication that it's the frat boys women need to stay away from.

But this? Who cares?? It's just some black folks we're talking about and they don't count.
Oh come ON... If there were no "people of color" in the picture there'd be screaming of racism and bigotry because people "of color" were purposely left off the poster.

There is NO winning, that's why I suggest everyone needs to be green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 06:22 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
Reputation: 15430
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
If all you do is look for racism, then racism is all you'll find.
Good point! And if one is looking to be offended then that's all you'll find as well.
I think the blame for a big portion of this skewed way of thinking has to land squarely at the feet of race baiter hucksters like Sharpton and Jackson.

Can't anyone take ANYTHING at face value anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 06:45 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Reputation: 42369
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
If all you do is look for racism, then racism is all you'll find.
If you willfully ignore insidious racism because it doesn't directly affect you and makes you uncomfortable to think about, then racism never goes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Reputation: 42369
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Oh come ON... If there were no "people of color" in the picture there'd be screaming of racism and bigotry because people "of color" were purposely left off the poster.

There is NO winning, that's why I suggest everyone needs to be green.
There are people of color in the poster. They're all the bad kids. I don't think anyone would mind if the poster was not so lopsided. The artist who drew it might not have even done so deliberately, but it was still a choice. It's like when someone mentions a theoretical criminal and a few people start calling that person Laquisha or Darnell. Criminal = color. What is the result of this ingrained image? Baton Rouge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top