U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Status: "Basking in my white and height privilege" (set 11 days ago)

17,611 posts, read 8,684,668 times

Advertisements

4 black not cool kids.
2 white not cool kids.
2 white cool people.

Yeah, I get that most of you think it's petty that people would count, but this is the kind of thing that leads to peoples misconceptions.

We aren't sensitive to it because we don't live it, but that doesn't mean it's not a valid complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 08:35 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,550,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
People are sensitive to it because people are too sensitive. There's a BIG difference between being sent to the back of the bus, not being able to sit at a lunch counter or being denied a job,having seporate fountains and some dumb arse poster.

White guilt and hyper sensitivity need to stop if we're ever to all get along.
White guilt, there is a laugh. People do "racist" things all the time and have no real idea they are doing them. And then there are people who do them on purpose. It just *is* that way.

White guilt...me? LOL Thats actually funny.

As I said, it isn't *just* the poster. Its media in general, its built into the fabric of American culture. And if you are brave enough to call it out, you are called names. If thats all ya got...

Old 06-28-2016, 09:51 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,596,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Sure, we've come a long way but we are not there yet. Things like the swimming poster are the dregs of racism, and racism, whether blatant or subtle, must be eradicated.

The swimming poster essentially says white people do good things and black and Hispanic people do bad things. The people who don't see this in the poster are the people who have already incorporated the 'white good/black bad' into their subconscious. Therefore, they see nothing wrong with it.

Also, I don't know what you mean by white guilt. I don't feel guilty about anything.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED! IT IS USELESS TO RESIST!

So, would you admit that it could be the people who DO see racism in this poster are just hyper sensitive and looking for racism in all the wrong places... (hey, that reminds me of a good country song )

Yep, I've been waiting for someone to figure out that the Red Cross were really Klan backed and sending subconscious messages to infect our youth and rally the masses.

C'mon, really? I'd bet there was no ill intent meant when that poster was created.
What probably happened is the Corporate P.C. Police Officer on duty stepped out for his vegan smoothie break and this particular swim poster got past without his/her/lbgtqurps or whatever's stamp of compliance approval.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:57 PM

4,604 posts, read 3,775,235 times
I'm more focused on the levitating whale that can not only speak English and seems to know proper poolside behavior, but can survive out of water...than any racist message.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:57 PM

13,488 posts, read 9,680,516 times
I think it denotes some unconscious racism or just plain old prejudice on the part of the artist who created the poster. That said- the artist could be black. We don't know. It was almost certainly not a purposeful thing.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:58 PM
Status: "A delicate snowflake with the vote of a wolverine." (set 11 days ago)

13,322 posts, read 7,507,680 times
Racist? Good grief. Although I didn't count everyone, there was at least one white kid misbehaving and a black lifeguard. Get a life people.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:24 PM
Status: "Basking in my white and height privilege" (set 11 days ago)

17,611 posts, read 8,684,668 times
I also doubt there was ill intent. But this kind of thing goes on and it's very subtle and sends a message.

It's like when Time magazine took OJ's photo and darkened it. Or similar to specific word choice to sway the public opinion about something.

I'm in marketing and have worked with politicians and advertising agencies and see this kind of thing all the time.

I'm the first to call b.s. on much of what's going on in the world today, but this is valid. And pretending it's the other guys fault by blaming them for being hypersensitive is also a form of subtle manipulation, not unlike what I'm talking about. In fact, it's very much like that.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:26 PM

3,703 posts, read 2,878,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I'm more focused on the levitating whale that can not only speak English and seems to know proper poolside behavior, but can survive out of water...than any racist message.
That was the first thing I noticed too.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:43 AM

4,903 posts, read 2,795,135 times
Why are we so sensitive anymore There were kids playing in the pool. I am sure we would have also had complaints had there been no black kids.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:12 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,436,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

So, would you admit that it could be the people who DO see racism in this poster are just hyper sensitive and looking for racism in all the wrong places... (hey, that reminds me of a good country song )
No, I wouldn't admit that at all.

This poster is particularly nefarious because it's aimed at children. Children can be pretty literal. When they see something adults do or say, children take it at face value. When children see or read signs that show 'white = good and black = bad' they will incorporate that into their subconscious. What we see around us as children greatly affects our world view.

Racism and bigotry are learned behaviors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events