U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 05:49 AM

3,174 posts, read 1,629,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I'm more focused on the levitating whale that can not only speak English and seems to know proper poolside behavior, but can survive out of water...than any racist message.
The whale only speaks English? Oh, my! That poster needs to be interactive, with a "press two" button for Spanish and a "press three" button for ebonics. (And strangely, the spellchecker underlines the word "ebonics" in red, demanding that I capitalize it. I refuse.)

Or should it be press one for ebonics and two for English...?

No, put Spanish ahead of ebonics and English...

...no, wait.... ummmmm........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 06:25 AM

11,356 posts, read 6,424,031 times
Is it possible to have a situation where more black kids than white kids are breaking the rules? Are we now denying reality?

This makes me think of TV shows and commercials where white guys are almost always the dimwitted buffoons so as not to seem sexist or racist.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:15 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,837,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Is it possible to have a situation where more black kids than white kids are breaking the rules? Are we now denying reality?

This makes me think of TV shows and commercials where white guys are almost always the dimwitted buffoons so as not to seem sexist or racist.
bingo. I expect the next poster to have all the black kids with halos on their heads and the white kids having guns, tats, and the newest Nike Air Jordans on.

This has gone far enough. Can't believe this is a discussion, which I've chimed in to, multiple times. Shamefully.

Mods, close this out.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:21 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,722,817 times
The fact that this dumb little poster is a national debate shows exactly how far we've progressed from true racism. It wasn't all that long ago that white people would drain the pool and replace the water if a person of color swam in it. THAT was racism!

I don't believe there was any malice behind that poster, the red cross is a very inclusive organization. I believe everyone looking at that poster saw no color right up until the one seeking a reason to be offended saw it. Now these racial extremists are causing an organization to spend their donations to recreate something to satisfy a small group of people that are already seeking the next item to be offended about.

I really wish these social justice warriors would take on some more worthwhile causes, but instead they pick easy targets. There are plenty of atrocities happening in the US and around the world every single day. this poster isn't one of them.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:21 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,378,463 times
You can't handle the truth, can you?

Asking a mod to close the thread is just like an ostrich putting its head in the sand.

Out of sight, out of mind.

"If I don't see racism, it doesn't exist", right?

Old 06-29-2016, 07:24 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,378,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
The fact that this dumb little poster is a national debate shows exactly how far we've progressed from true racism. It wasn't all that long ago that white people would drain the pool and replace the water if a person of color swam in it. THAT was racism!
So a little bit of racism is OK? Isn't that similar to being a little bit pregnant?

Old 06-29-2016, 07:28 AM

11,356 posts, read 6,424,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You can't handle the truth, can you?

Asking a mod to close the thread is just like an ostrich putting its head in the sand.

Out of sight, out of mind.

"If I don't see racism, it doesn't exist", right?
Is it possible to have a situation where more black kids than whites are misbehaving?

Old 06-29-2016, 07:29 AM

13,477 posts, read 9,597,589 times
Quote:
No, I wouldn't admit that at all.

This poster is particularly nefarious because it's aimed at children. Children can be pretty literal. When they see something adults do or say, children take it at face value. When children see or read signs that show 'white = good and black = bad' they will incorporate that into their subconscious. What we see around us as children greatly affects our world view.

Racism and bigotry are learned behaviors.
That is a good point. I was extremely literal as a child. I remember hearing the phrase "making ends meet" and asking what type of meat was that?

Old 06-29-2016, 07:31 AM

13,477 posts, read 9,597,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Is it possible to have a situation where more black kids than whites are misbehaving?
Yeah, but there were exactly zero "cool" black or brown kids. All of them were "not cool" and labeled as such.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:38 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
Quote:
No, I wouldn't admit that at all.

This poster is particularly nefarious because it's aimed at children. Children can be pretty literal. When they see something adults do or say, children take it at face value. When children see or read signs that show 'white = good and black = bad' they will incorporate that into their subconscious. What we see around us as children greatly affects our world view.

Racism and bigotry are learned behaviors.
But it all happened under the supervision of a black person, the lifeguard. Where's HIS responsibility in all of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events