Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:52 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,016 times

Advertisements

I see 3 misbehaving kids of color and 2 misbehaving light skinned kids. What is the big deal? If they showed no kids of color then it would be racist. Can't win with some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:56 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I see 3 misbehaving kids of color and 2 misbehaving light skinned kids. What is the big deal? If they showed no kids of color then it would be racist. Can't win with some people.
What you can't see is all the white kids peeing in the pool.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
People can be racist. And we also have racist systems (and a racism ingrained into our social structures). This poster is one of the ways systemic racism manifests.

Another one? When you look at portrayals of black women in the media, particularly darker ones, there isn't a variety of roles available. Typically mammy, poor single mom or sassy friend. Guess what happens in real life -- people think that is true! And treat black women accordingly. See the correlation.

Happens to me all the time. People just walk up to me speaking in weird slang when 1 minute earlier they weren't talking that way when they talked to someone else. Or people assume I don't have a professional job and act shocked when they find out I do.

So while you think this poster means nothing, my day to day life shows me all of this messaging perpetrates and people act accordingly.

Jade, you're wasting your time. The technical term is called 'subliminal messaging' but these dopes aren't interested in learning anything, they simply want to point fingers. This kind of thing (or so they think) doesn't impact them, so they don't care. And in their minds, their fake outrage trumps real outrage any day.

If there was an ad telling women on campus to be extra cautious because of campus rapes, and it had a picture of a building in the background with Greek letters on it, they'd be pissed by the implication that it's the frat boys women need to stay away from.

But this? Who cares?? It's just some black folks we're talking about and they don't count.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:16 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Uggabugga, I saw it as the NAACP showing America how ignorant they were to science, outer space and our solar system. Clearly they'd never heard of black holes. Looking back, it's even funnier now than it was then. Hallmark should have weathered that storm rather than bow down to the uneducated pressure.
yeah, I totally agree. they look rather pathetic to have buckled to such a ridiculous complaint.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:37 PM

995 posts, read 1,694,500 times
I'm deeply offended that there are no transgendered children at that pool.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
People can be racist. And we also have racist systems (and a racism ingrained into our social structures). This poster is one of the ways systemic racism manifests.
You are correct. This poster is not a photograph. It's a drawing. Somebody drew a picture of misbehavior and then filled in all the colors. I doubt the artist made a conscious decision to make all the troublemakers people of color and the good/cool kids white. It was an unconscious decision, but a decision nonetheless. What drove those choices? Ingrained racism so subtle that the people don't believe it even when it's right in front of them. I'm sorry this junk happens and then is trivialized by people it doesn't affect, Jade.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:20 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Jade, you're wasting your time. The technical term is called 'subliminal messaging' but these dopes aren't interested in learning anything, they simply want to point fingers. This kind of thing (or so they think) doesn't impact them, so they don't care. And in their minds, their fake outrage trumps real outrage any day.

If there was an ad telling women on campus to be extra cautious because of campus rapes, and it had a picture of a building in the background with Greek letters on it, they'd be pissed by the implication that it's the frat boys women need to stay away from.

But this? Who cares?? It's just some black folks we're talking about and they don't count.
Doesn't a subliminal message require forethought? How do you know the person making this poster wanted to create a subliminal message? If a computer randomly made posters and this was one of the creations, would you say random chance is racist? Is reality racist when there's a situation where more blacks are misbehaving compared to whites? I walked into a 5th grade teacher's classroom a few months ago - the only black boy in the class had his desk parked right beside the teacher's desk. Should I assume she's racist considering all the white kids have their desks aligned normally?

Old 06-30-2016, 03:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Doesn't a subliminal message require forethought? How do you know the person making this poster wanted to create a subliminal message? If a computer randomly made posters and this was one of the creations, would you say random chance is racist? Is reality racist when there's a situation where more blacks are misbehaving compared to whites? I walked into a 5th grade teacher's classroom a few months ago - the only black boy in the class had his desk parked right beside the teacher's desk. Should I assume she's racist considering all the white kids have their desks aligned normally?
NOT necessarily. What happens is the subliminal messages that bombard us throughout the day become part of our subconscious and present themselves without needing any real thought about it on our part.

It's like when children in the '60s' automatically drew good cowboys with white hats and bad cowboys with black hats. Nobody told them to do that. They didn't sit there and think about it. They had that buried in their subconscious minds and their choices reflected that.

I even stated a few posts back that I doubt it was done with ill intent. But it was done and isn't a good thing because the subliminal message, like all such messages, is slanted in a negative way.

Regarding your scenario, I would assume the kid got busted, but then I spent quite a bit of time with my desk positioned right next to Sr. Mary Linebacker.

By the way, great question. Thank you for being thoughtful and interested enough to ask.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:51 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,128,844 times
I like this article from a black columnist who at first saw diversity, not racism in the poster---but then she understood what the white woman was talking about:

A white woman opened my eyes to racism in a Red Cross poster - Chicago Tribune

Notice how she acknowledges her own biases, like when writing about female Supreme Court justices and mentioning their appearance/clothing---she realizes that she wouldn't have done it with the male justices. Subtle but undeniable sexism.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:07 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
What if there were 4 blacks breaking the rules vs 3 whites...would that also be racism? What about 3 black vs 4 whites? Wouldn't that also be racism considering blacks are only ~15% of the population yet make up 43% of rule breakers in this hypothetical?

Would it also be racist toward whites to depict more black kids doing something good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events