Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 12:47 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,025,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
This tragedy could have been prevented if they took Highway 1 or 101 instead of the Golden State Freeway. OR something worse could've happened there. "You don't know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from."
Call me speechless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 01:35 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,813,262 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell
I can't think of much else more horrible than that. It's really hard to read about.
Very very sad..........

If I could I would hug both fathers like crazy!!

Old 07-01-2016, 01:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,613,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
This tragedy could have been prevented if they took Highway 1 or 101 instead of the Golden State Freeway. OR something worse could've happened there. "You don't know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from."
Huh? And how does someone who lives in TX know our roads here in CA?

While the 5 freeway is heavily traveled this could have happened anywhere.

Very sad story, but it could have been on a country road as well. Just wrong place, wrong time.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:44 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,283,708 times
There is no blame to the roads, nor the truck driver (well he caused it but it's hard to see things at night).
It can happen anywhere, anytime, specially in the dark.

What could have saved them for sure was this.
They shouldn't have stopped on the shoulder with a part of vehicle on the road.
When you stop anywhere, make sure your vehicle is entirely on the shoulder.
If there is room, go even further away on the shoulder.
If there is no room to safely stop, drive little bit and stop where there is room to stop.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:47 PM

13,152 posts, read 7,260,879 times
Unfortunately this is nothing new people who pull over in the shoulder of freeways and highways are very naive about how high of a chance you are to be killed. This could have been prevented by existing the next exit, pull off the highway into the dirt at least 50 feet away from the highway. There is no reason to stay where you got into a minor collision drive to the next exit and get off the highway. Don't change tires on highways drive on the rim slowly in the shoulder to the next exit. If your car is broken down get out of your car stand away from the highway at least 50 feet. Keep you eyes on cars if someone hits your car from behind it may send it sliding toward you.

People don't pay attention they text, they play with their radios, play with their MP3 devices, talk to people in the back seat. Everyone of you have driven onto the shoulder before while driving I know I have done it. It's a very dangerous place to sit for any reason.

People think if they don't stay exactly in the spot where a car bumped into the back of their car they will not be able to blame the right person for the collision. Who cares about that drive off the freeway. A few years ago a man was in a minor collision in the morning before it was light out and he got into the back of his pickup truck and waved his arms trying to signal other drivers to move over a lane he had re-ended a car both cars were still drive able but they just stopped in the middle of the freeway . Sleepy driver on the way to work going 80 mph hit him and he was thrown 100 feet away his legs were amputated and his head was crushed. The car in front of him caught fire another man was burned 50% of his body. Highway patrol have been burned and killed by drivers hitting their cars.

Last week 3 road workers were killed by people again driving in the shoulder.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:50 PM

8,370 posts, read 4,353,192 times
Appears the car was hit in the rear. Looks like the fire started there. The front had little damage. As an armchair quarter back not much really to say but you wonder about them coming out the front. Terrain looks rocky, any good size rock would have broken the door glass. Regardless, it is a sad situation.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:54 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,276,176 times
Nothing more to say then this was just a horrible tragedy. I can't even begin to fathom being in that situation.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:20 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,177 times
Death is a part of life. I can't wait to die to be with the Lord in heaven. These folks are there now if they were Christians.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:16 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,283,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Death is a part of life. I can't wait to die to be with the Lord in heaven. These folks are there now if they were Christians.
Same goes to 72 virgins.
Religious fanatics.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:12 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,188,592 times
That is horrific...those poor families....and the men....got to be killing them, and the truck driver........so sad.

I was on that road couple years ago...the grape vine..we always called it. It was in very deplorable shape, very tore up surface, not sure the condition now. There isn't much "side of the road" it is very unforgiving terrain, mountains and gully's and drop offs, Gorman is the last place to stop until you get through that area. Feel very bad for them.

Last edited by JanND; 07-01-2016 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events