U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:08 PM

11,161 posts, read 6,642,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
How did the company not know that would happen? It didn't take much for that Ikea dresser to topple over.
They did. That is why the final step is ancoring the dresser to the wall. Some people just don't care to follow directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 12:09 PM

3,206 posts, read 1,650,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Wrong. People always talk about this and it drives me nuts. They made plenty of cheap furniture back in the day.

I've cleaned out plenty of 50, 100 year old pieces that were cheap junk back then, with cardboard and other cheap materials.

The difference is that when it came time to clean out Granny's house, you kept the Stickley chest and sent on the cardboard backed piece to the dump or estate sale or fire pit. The Stickley piece you buy today will last for generations still.

Also, back in the day, Granny would smack the bum of any child who acted like a monkey in her home.
She would have been praised rather than arrested. And the kids weren't getting crushed by cheap cabinets.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:35 PM

12,136 posts, read 27,812,562 times
We have two of these (the tall ones) in our house; one for 6 y/o and one for our 9 y/o. They are both securely anchored to studs in the wall and we will continue to use them. Back before our first child was born and we went to the 2 hour 'training' class that the Drs. office offered, they did a short segment on home safety - cords on your blinds, electric outlets, and....anchoring furniture. Even if it is not in the instructions.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:42 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,530,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I have one of these I bought many years ago. it comes with a wall fastener and the instructions clearly state to anchor it to the wall.

A woman filed a lawsuit after her kid died from one of these falling, and she even states that "she should not have to fasten it to the wall"; clearly it is failure to follow instructions.

Only six deaths and 30 something injuries since 1989 and after 29 million sold; not bad at all in my opinion.
Seriously? How many deaths should a dresser cause? I'd say 0. But I guess you think 6 deaths is ok. Tell that to their parents.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:42 PM

3,206 posts, read 1,650,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Seriously? How many deaths should a dresser cause? I'd say 0. But I guess you think 6 deaths is ok. Tell that to their parents.

Nobody is saying 6 deaths are OK. On the other hand we're not talking about a backyard swing set. A chest of drawers is not meant to be climbed like a ladder. Would you tell THAT to the parents?

Old 06-30-2016, 01:59 PM

11,927 posts, read 9,674,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Nobody is saying 6 deaths are OK. On the other hand we're not talking about a backyard swing set. A chest of drawers is not meant to be climbed like a ladder. Would you tell THAT to the parents?
I blame the parents who let their kids climb the dresser and likely did not use the wall anchors Ikea provided. People love misplacing blame these days or blaming anyone but themselves when in reality, if a dresser falls on your kid because he has all the drawers open at once or just the bottom drawer and is putting pressure on or within it somehow, it's no one's fault but your own for a. not watching your kid and b. not teaching them to NOT climb furniture like it's a jungle gym.

Things don't have to be someone else's fault all the time and lawsuits aren't always necessary. If you're stupid or reckless and your kid gets hurt or dies it CAN be your own fault as a parent. And people also need to stop sticking up for parents all the time when stuff like this happens. These were totally avoidable deaths. Even if the dressers did happen to somehow fall completely on their own, untouched and unbothered, I'd bet money that the wall anchors weren't used. I'm tired of seeing people stick up for those who are clearly stupid parents/other people all the time. There are consequences to stupidity and half-a**ing things.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:31 PM

594 posts, read 270,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I'll tell the parents. But then you'd probably call me insensitive for pointing out their negligence, because mourning their children should be punishment enough.

A dresser should indeed cause zero deaths, but not because the dresser manufacturer failed to build it like a jungle gym. It should cause zero deaths because the parents should either: (a) use the anchors that came with it; or (b) make sure that their curious children don't have access to it.

I have unsecured IKEA dressers. If one of my children dies trying to climb one, I will face a lifetime of sorrow and regret. But it would not even occur to me to blame IKEA for my negligence/recklessness.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:22 PM

6,539 posts, read 8,648,423 times
Cooking range manufacturers have to actually state in the installation instructions, 'do not sit or stand on an open oven door'. Yes, there are idiots that have to be told this.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:51 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,595,568 times
The Swedish meatballs are fantastic. Whenever my wife and I shop there, we make a game of referring to all their products by their Swedish name...who knows if we even close in pronunciation. These particular piece should be named dethtrappa.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:41 PM

4,113 posts, read 5,012,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Children also shouldnt be climbed up on like this either.
I think it was the dresser, not the children..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events