U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:56 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,914,194 times

Advertisements

Every piece of furniture I've bought from IKEA for years has come with wall anchors, warnings about children, and safety instructions. Amazing they can be in business in Europe for decades and their furniture doesn't cause death until they open stores in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 03:16 AM

8,855 posts, read 10,310,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I wrote this is another thread, and I'll repeat it here. All tall dressers and bookcases, whether or not real wood, should be secured in a house where children may be tempted to climb. My son was a climber, and we had a house full of expensive, heavy, solid wood furniture. We tethered all of it to the walls. Better safe than sorry. I feel terrible for this child's loved ones, and I hope others will heed the warning that tall furniture does pose a tip over risk and should be secured.
When my kid was little the tall, even medium sized book cases/dressers were secured to the wall. She wasn't a climber, but we were never sure that would always be the case. Really, putting furniture in the room, just the laws of physics (eyeing it, I'm no scientist!) showed me there might be a problem.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:34 AM

4,001 posts, read 1,796,115 times
You generally get what you pay for and Ikea is cheap.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:30 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,795,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The Malm model...more like the maim model. It's all lightweight crap furniture. People need to buy heavy, real wood furniture. Stuff that can't be tipped over.
We have heavy, real wood dressers in our house and they all tip if more than two drawers are fully extended. Same goes for our heavy, real wood bookshelves. You can tip those with one hand. And our heavy, real wood TV. Many children die each year under TVs.

Quote:
The number of kids injured by a TV falling on them grew 125 percent between 1990 and 2011, according to a new study of emergency room records that calls for greater prevention efforts. Overall, more than 17,000 children under age 18 were treated each year for various TV-related injuries in ERs across the United States – that’s one child every half hour – during that time period, the study released Monday in the journal Pediatrics found.

Between 2000 and 2011, 215 children died from injuries caused by a falling TV.
Ikea furniture all comes with brackets for attaching stuff to the walls and clear pictures of what happens if you don't. Even their beds come with it, and imagine trying to tip a bed over. As I understand it, the recall is just advertising, to get people to order the free kits, or get the bracket installation team to come to their house and do it.

Ikea is a leader in getting rid of death trap corded blinds.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:33 AM

352 posts, read 123,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Ikea cannot parent everyone. It's the parents responsibility to ensure their own household is safe. If they were dumb enough to not fully read the instructions where it says "you need to secure this to a wall" and provides the pieces, then they shouldn't be having kids in the first place.
I agree, while it is a tragedy to see children dying, parents should look after their kids

Old 07-01-2016, 06:33 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,795,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Also, back in the day, Granny would smack the bum of any child who acted like a monkey in her home.
She would have been praised rather than arrested. And the kids weren't getting crushed by cheap cabinets.
They were. They always have been. Snd lucky granny to be right there when the kid woke up from their nap and decided to quietly explore.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:19 AM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
You generally get what you pay for and Ikea is cheap.
Right, because expensive furnuture is engineered to not fall over.

If something is taller than it is wide/deep, there is a chance it could topple. Why people expect furniture makers to defy physics is beyond me.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:42 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Every piece of furniture I've bought from IKEA for years has come with wall anchors, warnings about children, and safety instructions. Amazing they can be in business in Europe for decades and their furniture doesn't cause death until they open stores in the U.S.
Probably because Europeans don't sue at the drop of a hat.

Though...I confess the British have become rather more litigious in the past 15 years. Even so, they're still decades behind us. I pray they never catch up.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:47 AM

4,001 posts, read 1,796,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Right, because expensive furnuture is engineered to not fall over.

If something is taller than it is wide/deep, there is a chance it could topple. Why people expect furniture makers to defy physics is beyond me.
Very true! Center of gravity, weight distribution etc. All play a part. In one case, a 20 pound toddler could pull over a dresser by pulling on a handle, in another case, a 100 pound child could stand on a open bottom drawer with out toppling it.

Laws of physics are undeniable, so is poor engineering.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:56 AM

13,137 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I wrote this is another thread, and I'll repeat it here. All tall dressers and bookcases, whether or not real wood, should be secured in a house where children may be tempted to climb. My son was a climber, and we had a house full of expensive, heavy, solid wood furniture. We tethered all of it to the walls. Better safe than sorry. I feel terrible for this child's loved ones, and I hope others will heed the warning that tall furniture does pose a tip over risk and should be secured.
Exactly. I have a couple of tall IKEA bookshelves, and even though I'm an adult, I secured them with the enclosed shims. The instructions clearly state to secure them to prevent tip overs. It only takes a few extra minutes. There is no excuse for skipping such a vital installation step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events