U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 09:30 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. I have a couple of tall IKEA bookshelves, and even though I'm an adult, I secured them with the enclosed shims. The instructions clearly state to secure them to prevent tip overs. It only takes a few extra minutes. There is no excuse for skipping such a vital installation step.
We don't bother to secure our Ikea furniture but we don't have children.

If we did...different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 09:53 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,495,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Very true! Center of gravity, weight distribution etc. All play a part. In one case, a 20 pound toddler could pull over a dresser by pulling on a handle, in another case, a 100 pound child could stand on a open bottom drawer with out toppling it.

Laws of physics are undeniable, so is poor engineering.
I agree. A dresser should not fall over when the drawers are open. Its a bad design.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:15 AM

13,154 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I agree. A dresser should not fall over when the drawers are open. Its a bad design.
Anyone who expects a marvel of engineering design from cheap Chinese furniture is delusional. Oh wait; that's exactly what many people expect.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:24 AM

5,488 posts, read 5,208,756 times
Quote:
You ought to know not to open up more than one drawer at a time. problem solved. i guess though if a kid is opening all drawers as a make-shift step ladder, then theres not much that can be done about that.

The parents should have attached that dresser to the wall LIKE THEY TELL YOU IN THE INSTRUCTIONS. Duh! problem solved.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:26 AM

5,488 posts, read 5,208,756 times
Kids can fall off steps.. i guess they should stop making steps and staircases.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
You ought to know not to open up more than one drawer at a time. problem solved. i guess though if a kid is opening all drawers as a make-shift step ladder, then theres not much that can be done about that.

The parents should have attached that dresser to the wall LIKE THEY TELL YOU IN THE INSTRUCTIONS. Duh! problem solved.
Dude, the kid doesn't have to be doing anything wrong. There are many situations where all drawers can be opened, maybe even not by the child. People are too locked into it being a "brat" trying to climb the dresser. We don't know that to be true at all, about any of the incidents. And for each death, I am sure it happened where it didn't result in serious injury many times over.

Dressers shouldn't be made in a way that makes them likely to fall over. Simple.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:46 AM

11,033 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Dude, the kid doesn't have to be doing anything wrong. There are many situations where all drawers can be opened, maybe even not by the child.
So... You think the as the child just happened to be walking by, all the dresser drawers magically opened on their own? Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say its more likely that the child was doing something he/she wasn't supposed to be doing.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So... You think the as the child just happened to be walking by, all the dresser drawers magically opened on their own? Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say its more likely that the child was doing something he/she wasn't supposed to be doing.
Maybe the mom was putting away clothes
maybe the teenage sister was looking for an outfit
maybe the kid was helping mom and dad put away clothes
maybe the kid was looking for their underwear
maybe maybe maybe

Old 07-01-2016, 12:25 PM

8,542 posts, read 5,264,452 times
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the recalled chests and dressers are unstable if they are not properly anchored to the wall, posing a tip-over and entrapment hazard that can result in death or injuries to children.

Most furniture is stable without needing to be anchored to the wall. A person should be able to open the drawers of a dresser without worrying that it will tip over as that is the nature of a dresser. Clearly this particular model is unstable when used normally. I'm glad that it was recalled.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:20 PM

571 posts, read 265,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Most furniture is stable without needing to be anchored to the wall. A person should be able to open the drawers of a dresser without worrying that it will tip over as that is the nature of a dresser. Clearly this particular model is unstable when used normally. I'm glad that it was recalled.
When the instructions state that the product should be anchored to the wall for security, I don't know that I would consider any non-anchored use to be "normal." I guess failing to follow directions is the new normal, so in that regard it's probably good that IKEA stepped in to save irresponsible people from themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events