U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 07:25 PM

8,546 posts, read 5,281,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
in those cases, were the dressers NOT secured to the wall? If not, then it shows they were responsible for the death of their child by NOT securing them to the wall.
They weren't secured to the wall in the cases of death and injury. And by wall, I hope you mean the studs in the wall because securing it to the drywall won't save it from falling over. The cases of death and injury were not all limited to children either. Adults have been injured as well. Doubtful that they were climbing in the drawers.

The dresser is so unstable that just having all of the drawers opened at the same time will cause it to fall over. That really should not be an acceptable standard for a piece of bedroom furniture where the drawers have to be opened and closed for regular use. If I open all of the drawers on the dressers in my house, none of them tip over. It's the lowest of the low standards and is not acceptable. I've never personally owned a dresser that would tip over just because all of the drawers were open at the same time. Does anyone really find that to be acceptable for a piece of furniture? Do most people attach their furniture to the wall so that it will stay upright? Is that the new standard of the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 08:21 PM

15,796 posts, read 8,809,864 times
Not all furniture, but anything that is tall and top-heavy and would look like a ladder to a toddler, you bet.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 PM

6,530 posts, read 8,636,565 times
How many of us worked at a place that had walls full of file cabinets and none were anchored to the wall. And for some common sense reason, we knew to open only one drawer at a time AND we knew not to sit, stand, climb or hang on the open drawer. But people who have the same type furniture at home don't have the sense to tell their kids that the drawers are not a ladder.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:33 PM

8,546 posts, read 5,281,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Not all furniture, but anything that is tall and top-heavy and would look like a ladder to a toddler, you bet.
At least one of the injured parties was an 80 year old women. I doubt that she was using the dresser as a ladder.

Is a three drawer dresser what one would consider a dresser tall enough to attach to the wall? Because dressers of that size are included in the recall and a dresser of that size was responsible for the death of one of the six children.

There is a video on this page showing how easily these pieces of furniture tip.
http://www.furniture-tip-over-accidents.com/

Last edited by MissTerri; 07-01-2016 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 08:44 PM

4,194 posts, read 2,177,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Children also shouldnt be climbed up on like this either.
I think you might like to reword that sentence.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:40 AM

11,136 posts, read 6,626,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The dresser is so unstable that just having all of the drawers opened at the same time will cause it to fall over. That really should not be an acceptable standard for a piece of bedroom furniture where the drawers have to be opened and closed for regular use. If I open all of the drawers on the dressers in my house, none of them tip over. It's the lowest of the low standards and is not acceptable. I've never personally owned a dresser that would tip over just because all of the drawers were open at the same time. Does anyone really find that to be acceptable for a piece of furniture? Do most people attach their furniture to the wall so that it will stay upright? Is that the new standard of the day?
Do you often have all the dresser drawers open at the same time?

Old 07-02-2016, 01:52 AM

14,550 posts, read 11,538,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I think you might like to reword that sentence.
noticed it myself, typed in a hurry ,,meant to say.. of course......and Im sure all knew what I meant...... Children also shouldnt be climbing up on this type of furniture either but kids being kids and not supervised, my own two boys did it forty odd years ago and it wasnt Ikea, it was good quality heavier furniture.. my mother was babysitting and talking to a neighbour at the door when she heard the crash.. Two and three year olds shouldnt be left alone if not in a playpen or cot.. just a disaster waiting to happen. I was reading about Lou Costello s one year old son who fell into the swimming pool at his home and drowned..Do you think Lou sued the company who installed the pool? What about those horrible glass topped tables that everyone wanted back in the day... they were so dangerous, and must have caused many bad accidents.. dont remember them being sued. Its up to us to make our homes safer..A different scenario were the prams or buggies that had to be recalled , the ones that collapsed and caught kids fingers in them.. totally uncalled for and of course nothing to do with parent supervision..

Old 07-02-2016, 03:28 AM

8,869 posts, read 10,341,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Any piece of furniture, no matter how sturdily made, can tip over with a child hanging from onto it or trying to climb it. It's a matter of throwing off the balance of a chest of drawers or a table or whatever the furniture might be with the child's weight. It can happen with the even heaviest pieces of furniture.

IKEA posts this warning with all it's children's furniture. They are not at fault if people won't heed their instructions. What are they supposed to do? Send out the IKEA Kops to make certain every parent heeds their warning and does the right thing?

I wonder how many children have been killed by furniture they were trying to climb made by other manufacturers that don't give these warnings? This is just one more example of parents not paying attention even when the danger is put right in front of their noses.
I have a beautiful antique (not made in China) china cabinet that I inherited from my great grandmother. It stands on four legs. When my child was very little I looked at it and realized that it could very well fall on top of her if she decided to climb it. We anchored it to the wall. It's funny because I don't think my parents did the same, nor my mother's parents...we just didn't climb furniture! My kid never climbed furniture either, but I was so paranoid about the possibility.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:19 AM

1,141 posts, read 932,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I have a beautiful antique (not made in China) china cabinet that I inherited from my great grandmother. It stands on four legs. When my child was very little I looked at it and realized that it could very well fall on top of her if she decided to climb it. We anchored it to the wall. It's funny because I don't think my parents did the same, nor my mother's parents...we just didn't climb furniture! My kid never climbed furniture either, but I was so paranoid about the possibility.
Paranoid vs possible injury or death.
Paranoid wins.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:56 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,518,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do you often have all the dresser drawers open at the same time?
After looking more into it, this dresser tips over with just the top drawer open.

IKEA Furniture Tip-Over Cases | Feldman Shepherd Law Firm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events