U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:15 AM

4,750 posts, read 7,544,360 times

Advertisements

I know many people who have plans to go to Disney this year. Before this news, not one has mentioned that they may change their plans if Disney does not take images of alligators out of the park. Not one.

Personally, I don't agree with all of Disney's policies and practices, but that would not stop me from going if I want to.

Next, we'll have to start taking the American flag down and stop wearing American flag decor on the 4th of July because it may offend non-American citizens.

Our country has become a country of sissies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 09:19 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
Regardless, the parents should have had their child away from where an alligator could get it. Some how the rest of society can keep their kids from being eaten, but everyone else needs to make changes for those who cant.

The parents most likely did not realize there are gators in that water and that gators feed at night. There was no signs saying there are gators in the water. They aren't Florida natives, most of us know there are alligators everywhere in Florida. Even in my condo development we have signs around the lakes saying "No Swimming - Alligators Present".

Old 07-03-2016, 09:27 AM

531 posts, read 233,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Yes it has. Pretty sure someone will be offended by your statement. What a sad world we live in.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:23 AM

712 posts, read 267,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Umm nope. Alligators have been in Florida far longer than humans have, and the original humans that lived there, lived alongside. Actually, what are a bunch of lily white European descendants doing in Florida? Yea, if you wouldn't like to be told to be back to Europe (which isn't a rare sentiment among Florida's Indian tribes, or any American Indian community) then the alligators are staying put.

It is not absurd at all that people can't swim in a freshwater lake. If a freshwater lake has alligators, snakes, and other potentially dangerous creatures, then avoid it or swim at your own risk. If you wanna go swim in a freshwater lake, go to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, upstate New York or any other state that doesn't have alligators.

Alligators have been in Florida long before humans? So have rats, yet we have no problem killing them. Why are you humanizing a stupid gator? As if they have land owner rights like a native american.

It's sad that people are actually afraid to kill a few gators so they can go for a swim in a super hot state. Go to the everglades. Millions and millions of acres set aside for them.

Notice no one has answered my question of why don't we put humans in slaughterhouses if animal and human life is equal.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Who decides which type of thinking is "demented" as you put it though ? And WHO decides which life is more valuable ? If your answer is something along the lines of "I don't know, human life just IS" then I can't help you. You've already lost the ability for original thought. You've been subsumed into the herd mentality and other preprogrammed mental/responses that society tells you what you're SUPPOSED to think/feel.

I guess to the establishment that makes me just a horrrible person because I like to form my own opinions. ..but there it is. If it makes you feel threatened to see others that think independently (and yes, I think my post threatens you otherwise you wouldn't have passive-aggressive called me demented) than you might want to aim some questions towards yourself.

Incidentally my questions put to you here are questions that were asked of two other animal haters on this forum, neither of whom could come up with an answer (the cougar thread). Who exactly decided that humans were more valuable than animals ?

I've said this many times, but AGAIN I made a commitment to take care of and protect my dog when I adopted him. It really blows my mind that there are people actually expect you to sacrifice an animal companion that you love for a perfect stranger. ...whether or not that stranger even deserves to breathe the same air as you (murderers, rapists etc).
Well a human being is capable of being self aware and remembers more than 30 seconds of it's entire life, unlike a fish or croc. It has a family and has feeling, which neither a fish, nor a aligator have. They care about nothing. They're just acting on a program like an insect. A human being is capable of rational thought, empathy that extends beyond instinct, capable of looking back at the past ect I could go on forever.

Actually you are the epitome of group thought. Just look at facebook reaction after the gorilla or cecil lion attack. You're not thinking for yourself. You just babble the same talking points. After a shark attack; "It's their territory, you dont' belong in the ocean" Again giving landowner rights to a shark. Could say the same thing about tuna. Maybe we should ban fishing. We don't NEED fish to survive. Maybe put humans in fish nets. Right?

"they murdered that shark", "humans are murderers", "I like dogs better than people" blah blah ect. ect. "A human child is not endangered, a gorilla is". They talk about animals like lions being endangered when they are NOT endangered. Like a bunch of lemmings. This is a new form of radical extremist thought where you human life is cheapened. "Nature" is great, humans are bad. Brainwashed by years of propaganda on television like the discovery channel and people who have indoctrinated you into a viewpoint. This humanizing of animals(except when you need to eat them or hunt certain species) is sick and hypocritical.

Again, Bandon your thoughts are NOW mainstream. Nothing original/unique about them

Old 07-03-2016, 10:39 AM

6,313 posts, read 3,490,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgJack View Post
This, however, has nothing to do with offending anyone. Disney is a place families with small children go on vacation. Recently, a horribly sad tragedy occurred on their grounds. While this is very much in the recent memory of park-goers, Disney is doing the smart thing by removing all glaring reminders of this tragedy so, hopefully, the families with small children don't have 10 reminders a day of this event. It's really not that complicated. Once this slips from the public's short attention span, the smiling gators will return and the people ranting that American's are too tender will be ranting about something else.
Exactly. On the first page of this thread, someone posted a photo of an alligator blanket. OMG, that blanket is SO CUTE! But I could certainly understand why Disney might want to pull it from the gift shop for a year or two, because right now it unfortunately brings to mind something that isn't cute at all.

Disney's just being careful right now, for understandable reasons. No doubt the cute cartoon alligators will be back in the parks in a year or two.

(And at least alligator/crocodile characters aren't central to any of Disney's franchises. Can you imagine trying to deal with The Lion King characters in the aftermath of a kid being mauled by a real lion in Disney World's Animal Kingdom?)

Old 07-03-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

I do believe that I've asked on a couple of occasions on threads similar to this exactly WHY human beings are more valuable than an animal. We all share the same planet. Who gave who the authority to determine who or what is more important to live here? So, again ...why are humans more important than animals?
This is statement is like Islamic extremism. It's just another form of radicalism. Eco-terrorism. Probably want to "cull humans" and start a human plague to get rid of the cancer that is humanity that is destroying the planet, right? I've heard this type of fanatical amoral things said before.

So if I kill a mosquito, is it no different than me bashing a woman over the head with an axe? Again following your logic.

So should rat traps be banned? Should cancer/medical research into fruit flies/mice be banned? Should humans be put in slaughter houses to feed dogs? After all humans are no more important than pigs. Your mother is clearly no more important than a fruit fly following your logic.

Nature gave you the authority to kill crocs/shark when it gave you a bigger brain. It's called survival of the fittest. You can't pick and choose science when it suits your ideology. Last time I checked humans are organic earthlings.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:41 AM

19,734 posts, read 8,248,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Disney World is quietly removing alligator jokes and characters from its Orlando theme parks, after a gator killed a 2-year-old boy at a Disney resort earlier this month.

Since the tragic death of 2-year-old Lane Graves, signs warning of alligators and temporary barriers now surround Disney resort beaches. The theme park's latest push, however, is to keep guests away from gators is more about sensitivity than safety.

From the Tic-Toc Croc in “Peter Pan,” who helps take down Captain Hook - to Louis, the jazz-loving gator from “Princess and the Frog” - alligator and crocodile references are disappearing from new and decade-old attractions at the parks.

I know it was a tragedy, but really??? Who got offended?

Disney ditches gator characters after attack - Story | KTBC

How stupid. Florida = gators.

If they don't like it, they should just move the whole freaking park to the midwest.

All they need to do is post signs with common sense regarding lake safety and alligators.

A fed alligator is a dead alligator.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:08 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,478,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom
I know many people who have plans to go to Disney this year. Before this news, not one has mentioned that they may change their plans if Disney does not take images of alligators out of the park. Not one.

Personally, I don't agree with all of Disney's policies and practices, but that would not stop me from going if I want to.

Next, we'll have to start taking the American flag down and stop wearing American flag decor on the 4th of July because it may offend non-American citizens.

Well people should complain mate!!

They are dumbing down the funness of thier park because of something they really couldnt stop!!

WHY MAKE IT WORSE????????

Old 07-03-2016, 05:13 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,651,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

Did you ask all their kids if they were aware of what happened and if seeing an anthropomorphic alligator would scare or them or make them have less than a good time?

Your flag analogy is gross and no where near close to being along the same lines. Disney is a private company and no one is forcing them to do this.

Find out if anyone is not going NOW that they know they won't be seeing any alligator characters at the park. That would be more useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events