U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:15 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,577,616 times

Advertisements

"After a state jury declared that Cinemark, the nation's third-largest theater chain, was not responsible for the Colorado theater shooting in which 12 people were killed during a showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" in 2012, the chain now wants the victims who brought the lawsuit to pay its legal fees from the case.)"

This is actually pretty standard legal process in civil courts. Someone sues you, costs you a lot of money, they lose, they SHOULD have to pay for your legal fees. It happens all the time. They should have been advised of this going into it. But lawyers are happy to file as many suits as people are willing to pay for.

We find it distasteful because it was a horrible incident, but the theater was clearly not responsible, and the original suit filed by the victims families was dumb. If I had been a family member of a victim, I would have refused to participate, regardless of how much money was at stake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 12:52 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,214,315 times
It's pretty common for people (such as the family members here) to sue a venue after a tragedy occurred there, whether the venue is at fault or not. Perhaps some of the family members indeed wanted retribution of some sort and went to attorneys...I mean c'mon, they're understandably distraught, and some distraught people lash out. However, I think it's also likely that vulture-esque lawyers proactively pounced on the situation and took advantage of the victims families' emotional state, manipulating and "encouraging" them to make the decision to sue Cinemark. In other words, a blatant attempt at a money grab.

It would not surprise me if a similar lawsuit is headed Pulse Nightclub (Orlando)'s way in the near future.

It's also pretty much S.O.P. for businesses to sue for legal fees if the people who sued them lose. I have no problem with that. Cinemark was obviously not at fault here. And yes, it's common for businesses to sue with the true goal of sending a message (and not just to the party they're suing, either).

The only "mistake" Cinemark made by suing for legal fees was bad/tasteless optics. But even then, they likely knew in advance that doing this would be perceived by some as a "jerk" move and get some of bad press. But they also figured that the bad optics would not be a big deal in the long run, and people will quickly get over it and move on.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:00 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,165,764 times
It was not the theatres fault at all. How could they honestly know some whackball was going to go into the theatre and do that???

The problem is that NO ONE knows when anything like that will happen.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 16 days ago)

3,982 posts, read 3,202,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Yahoo!

I think this is complete crap. I didn't agree that the victims should be suing the theatre because they didn't have enough security; you can't plan for a psychotic gunman to be out to kill people everywhere you go, but personally, this is just scum of the gene pool LOW.. I hope people start boycotting this theatre because of this move. They should be happy they won, and let everyone move on with there lives.
It's not Cinemark, it's the lawyers, on both sides, who are scum.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:32 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,182,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
ALWAYS..

I think I was unanimously outnumbered in here.

Must be a bunch of lawyers in here.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:47 PM

3,194 posts, read 4,246,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
So it's okay for people to sue the theater because they figure the theater has deep pockets, so it's then okay for them to spend tons of money on legal fees? I bet if you were a business owner and someone tried to sue you because they figured they could get some money out of you, not because it was really your fault, you wouldn't feel the same way.
The deep pocket remark kind of reminds me of people who think that people who make more should pay more. I'm a middle class earner and I pay $2.99 for a gallon of milk. So does that mean the upper class should be $4.99 for that same gallon of milk because they can afford to? LOL. Not directed towards you but some people have a screwed up sense of "logic."

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Imagine how much better the world would be without lawyers. Most politicians are lawyers...

Old 07-05-2016, 12:31 AM

4,903 posts, read 2,775,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
It wasn't the theater's fault. They should be able to take of the law, just as the plaintiffs did when they sued.

Our society is too sue happy. Those checks and balances need to be in place.
Maybe the losing Lawyers who hoped to get rich with such a suit should have to kick in a large portion of this.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:47 AM

25,438 posts, read 14,529,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yup. If you actually listen to the plaintiffs' argument at trial they're at fault because they didn't have CCTV cameras everywhere, armed security on site, and armed patrols on the exterior. That's more security than I see going into secure facilities like courthouses. I've certainly never been to a movie theater which had armed security patrolling both the interior and exterior of the building. Maybe there's an armed security guard out front if it's a bad neighborhood, not that one armed security guard would really have mattered. He walked up and presented a ticket.

You'd really need to have something like TSA screening or what you get going into secure state buildings. That's completely unreasonable. If they had that, no one would go to that theater. They'd go elsewhere as tacking off your belt, watch, emptying pockets is a hassle. We grudgingly tolerate it going into certain secure government buildings like courthouses or when flying. That' doesn't mean we'd tolerate it to go to a movie theater or grocery store or restaurant or the mall.
Um you do realize that there is metal detection at most sports venues these days and yet attendance hasn't really taken a hit. Movie theaters already have a hit due to how fast movies go to VOD and home release now. I told my brother Central Intelligence was an amazing movie, he replies "I'll catch it on Netflix." The theater going audience is already shrinking partially due to idiots who are on their phones and kick seats in front of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Maybe the losing Lawyers who hoped to get rich with such a suit should have to kick in a large portion of this.
If it wasn't a pro-bono deal, yes. I think suing the grieving families is a dick move and I am glad I do not have a Cinemark theater by me.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:00 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,569,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
now fear of violence from nuts.
You live in a country of 300 million. How many people have died due to theatre shootings?

Amazing how Americans let their media scare them so much into be so irrational.

That whole 24/7 news stuff really has scared some people.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:23 AM

4,903 posts, read 2,775,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If it wasn't a pro-bono deal, yes. I think suing the grieving families is a dick move and I am glad I do not have a Cinemark theater by me.
I feel very sorry for the families. But I think suing the Theater was also a dick move. It was beyond their control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or