U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 11:07 AM

7,701 posts, read 5,170,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I wonder if he inadvertently broke any laws by doing this.

Reminds me of the fisherman in New England who cut loose a whale trapped in his fishing net. Feds nailed him for $500 because he didn't call the proper authorities to do it.
No. He did notify various authorities before hand, and there were wildlife personnel on hand when he did it.
As to the 150 shots, contrary to what Hollywood makes it look like, severing even a medium to small branch with a small caliber round is no easy task. And he had to do multiple times and still not hit the bird. Some may not think an Eagle is anything special, but this guy used his skill to save a living creature, and he deserves credit for that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Posted by someone who probably has never seen one.

My sister in law used to be the same way until she came to visit with us for a few days in the Wild out doors in Wyoming and brought her little spaniel dog with the nice pink bows in her hair. I told her not to let the dog lose but of course she just let her go and was yelling "Enjoy the beautiful nature" Then the eagle swooped down and hauled off her sweet little dog and ate her.
And who's fault was that? By your own admission, your SIL went against good advice. So we're supposed to blame the Eagle, and have less reverence for it, because of human error.
Of course it's a predator, and it's going to do what instinct tells it to do to survive. That doesn't make it a villain, or any less a majestic creature.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:53 AM

12,842 posts, read 12,205,277 times
Quote:

My sister in law used to be the same way until she came to visit with us for a few days in the Wild out doors in Wyoming and brought her little spaniel dog with the nice pink bows in her hair. I told her not to let the dog lose but of course she just let her go and was yelling "Enjoy the beautiful nature" Then the eagle swooped down and hauled off her sweet little dog and ate her.
Despite warnings, still let the dog out? Yet blame the bird?

Can we throw this into the numerous other people who do not think rules/nature's laws apply to them? Like getting close to bears, Bison and being surprised when injured/killed. Walking off the path at a hot springs and falling in. Ignoring no swimming signs and letting your kid into the water. Etc, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
This is fake, it was a class project.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:04 PM

1,141 posts, read 936,791 times
I think a tree climber would be much easier.
It's the same way of killing a mosquito with a gun.
Works but way more than needed for the job.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:22 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,877,481 times
Oh, just for some clarity on what it means to be an 'Army sharpshooter':

When you go through Army Basic (ie, boot camp), you have to qualify with the M-16. The final test is 40 targets. If you hit between 23 and 29 targets, you get the Marksman badge. Hitting between 30 and 35 gets you the Sharpshooter badge, and 36-40 earns you the Expert badge. Basically, everybody passes - or, is a Marksman or better. In Basic, you spend weeks at the range. And if someone fails? They earn a little more abuse than usual from the drill sergeants, then come back the next day and take the test. And pass. Seriously, no one is recycled because they can't qualify. Half of a typical cycle scores Sharpshooter or better, even though in Basic you're using crappy old much-abused weapons.

So, don't be mislead into thinking that the guy in this story was some sort of elite soldier. All we know from the 'Army sharpshooter' notation is that he got through Basic and finished in roughly the top 50 percentile of his class on the range.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:23 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,556,721 times
Very nice of him!!!

I do hope the eagle will be ok

Old 07-04-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
150 shots?
I think we need better sharp shooters.
As another poster mentioned, this is not Hollywood, things do not just explode or fly part form one or two shots, nor can they just easily hit targets on a whim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
A .22 is a very small caliber I wonder why he didn't use something bigger? The AR15 shoots a .223 which is just a bit larger than a .22 but it has ALOT more energy behind it.

The reason why we didn't hear about this story is that it doesn't fit the lefty agenda where guns are nothing but evil devices used only for bad.
He probably did not have an AR-15 with him, if he even owned one, and if he did own own, it probably is not set up for sharp shooting.

A .22 is a popular gun for sharp shooting due to its low ammo cost. The rifle he had with him is most likely the one he has set up for this and have a lot of time spent shooting with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I think a tree climber would be much easier.
It's the same way of killing a mosquito with a gun.
Works but way more than needed for the job.
There were state enforcement officials out there, they probably assessed the situation and determined for at the time, shooting was the best option.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

When you go through Army Basic (ie, boot camp), you have to qualify with the M-16. The final test is 40 targets. If you hit between 23 and 29 targets, you get the Marksman badge. Hitting between 30 and 35 gets you the Sharpshooter badge, and 36-40 earns you the Expert badge. Basically, everybody passes - or, is a Marksman or better. In Basic, you spend weeks at the range. And if someone fails? They earn a little more abuse than usual from the drill sergeants, then come back the next day and take the test. And pass. Seriously, no one is recycled because they can't qualify. Half of a typical cycle scores Sharpshooter or better, even though in Basic you're using crappy old much-abused weapons.

So, don't be mislead into thinking that the guy in this story was some sort of elite soldier. All we know from the 'Army sharpshooter' notation is that he got through Basic and finished in roughly the top 50 percentile of his class on the range.
True. Not just the Army but the Navy and maybe every branch has their little pistol and rifle medals or ribbons someone can earn.

It seems this guy though is a hobbyist shooter given the rifle he has, so he has a heck of a lot more experience than what the military gave him.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

That would be correct. I can assure you that I am not an expert at hitting small targets with a firearm. Yet I qualified expert with an M-14 in Basic, and Sharpshooter with the M-16 later in AIT (circa 1968). If I can do that, anyone can. You don't need special skills to pass Army range qualifications.
Perhaps the guy in this instance had further sniper training, but I don't know that for sure.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:10 PM

20,365 posts, read 20,555,775 times
Quote:

^bs, but thanks for revealing yourself

Eagle Flight and Other Myths, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaniel

Last edited by Ghengis; 07-04-2016 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events