U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:13 PM

1,141 posts, read 934,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There were state enforcement officials out there, they probably assessed the situation and determined for at the time, shooting was the best option.
Nah, I think they all wanted to be in the news.
Who reads someone freeing an eagle by climbing up the tree but with 100's of shots fired, sure makes it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 01:16 PM

2,284 posts, read 2,347,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've seen eagles take down pronghorn antelope and grab barn cats, never to be seen again. Real eagles don't live by Disney movie scripts.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:42 PM

1,168 posts, read 682,888 times
We raise Flemish giant rabbits. They are usually between 15 and 20 lb. We also have 12-14 lb Californian rabbits.
We lose some every year to Eagles. The smaller ones (12 lb) the eagles can land and pull them out of their hutches with their beaks, grab them with a claw and take off. The larger ones they will swoop down on the rabbit while flying into the wind and grab with both claws and you see all their wings and feathers come out for lift and off they go.

If a typical bald eagle crashs into the windshield of your subarban, the wings will wrap all the way around the front of the car and onto the side windows. They are not small animals.

Ive heard of pronghorns being taken too but never seen it. I found a carcass of a mule deer that was a few months old in an eagles nest. It probably was in the 20lb range.

A friend of mine raises Llamas. For some reason the eagles dont like them and can kill a full grown Llama. They attack them from behind and use their claws to blind them then just rip their throats out. Rip out some meat and fly Away.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube. that show eagles taking larger prey.

Last edited by Joe33; 07-04-2016 at 02:52 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 02:51 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,015,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
From the video, he had to shoot down other branches to clear the way for shots at the branch to which the eagle was attached.
That would be a plausible explanation.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:00 PM

18,198 posts, read 16,717,194 times
Quote:
I've seen eagles take down pronghorn antelope and grab barn cats, never to be seen again. Real eagles don't live by Disney movie scripts.
Please stop with the BS. Eagles are scavengers. They like animals that are already dead but they will take very small rodents but prefer fish. Hawks on the other hand will take anything small that moves.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:14 PM

9,209 posts, read 10,191,240 times
This is a wonderful story for Independence Day or any other day. I'd be just as pleased if the bird were a pelican, an owl, or a crow. No animal should die such a hideous and pointless death. I do consider it symbolic that a good guy with a gun saved the symbol of America.

The number of shots fired is reasonable, perhaps on the low side, for the task.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:14 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,036,477 times
Whatever goes up, will come down, and that includes a .22 bullet. Shooting into the air, and that is what he primarily did for many rounds, can be dangerous. I sure hope they cleared off a large area behind where the eagle was located.
Also, the .22 due to its small size, can be affected by wind, and is not noted for a level trajectory. He is luck he did not shoot the bird.

And even if state wild life officials gave him permission, if he had shot the eagle, it is a Federal offense, so, would the Feds have stepped in?

Should have been another way to get the eagle out of the tree.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:58 PM

3,022 posts, read 1,985,839 times
They knew about it for 2 days? United Rentals has platform lifts that they probably could have gotten for free safely gotten up there. I rent them all they time they tow behind any pickup.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:55 AM

2,057 posts, read 1,050,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
We raise Flemish giant rabbits. They are usually between 15 and 20 lb. We also have 12-14 lb Californian rabbits.
We lose some every year to Eagles. The smaller ones (12 lb) the eagles can land and pull them out of their hutches with their beaks, grab them with a claw and take off. The larger ones they will swoop down on the rabbit while flying into the wind and grab with both claws and you see all their wings and feathers come out for lift and off they go.

If a typical bald eagle crashs into the windshield of your subarban, the wings will wrap all the way around the front of the car and onto the side windows. They are not small animals.

Ive heard of pronghorns being taken too but never seen it. I found a carcass of a mule deer that was a few months old in an eagles nest. It probably was in the 20lb range.
I read the link. No reason for me to think that the two posters are incorrect in what they saw. I guess all I can say is "I dunno."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
A friend of mine raises Llamas. For some reason the eagles dont like them and can kill a full grown Llama. They attack them from behind and use their claws to blind them then just rip their throats out. Rip out some meat and fly Away
This part I really don't understand. I can understand the part about an Eagle having the capability ... but if they don't like llamas, why would they do it?

El Nox

Old 07-05-2016, 03:51 AM

9,209 posts, read 10,191,240 times
. It seems odd, but in my experience those who hate or fear animals are the most likely to anthropomorphize them. These people declare them capable of prodigous exhibitions of strength, cunning, and malevolent planning ability. This is obvious nonsense. I suggest that the interested reader consider the claims of some of the posters here who are of the same mindset. Then read the following article. Note particularly the bald eagle's choice of prey.

. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_eagle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events