Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:20 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times

Advertisements

A young couple moved into the neighborhood a few years ago and immediately began harassing their next door neighbor to paint her house because they didn't like living next to a yellow house. When the woman refused, they tried everything they could to get their way, including calling the police on her, reporting her to the city, taking her to court, and trying to form an HOA to force her to bend to their will, all to no avail, because, of course, the woman had a right to paint her house any color she chose.

Then, this:

"I recently had to go out of town for two weeks. When I got back, my house was gray. I actually almost drove past it because I'm so used to my yellow house."

The homeowner knew immediately who was responsible, but the neighbors have refused to answer their door when she knocks. The company who painted the house said they had a valid work order, and were paid in cash by a woman calling herself Ms. Jane Smith. Supposedly, because the neighbors never actually set foot on the property, they can't be charged with any crime.

Woman Comes Home From Vacation To Find Her Neighbor Had Done This. Wow.

What recourse does this woman have?

Old 01-17-2016, 09:24 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Paisley.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:27 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Whoa, that takes balls to do something like that.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
I would certainly be demanding the police arrest someone starting with the contractor who did not have the owner's permission to be on the property. That could force the contractor to identify Mrs Smith. This home owner needs to get aggressive.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
They should wait til the neighbors are out of town and have their house painted yellow.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
A young couple moved into the neighborhood a few years ago and immediately began harassing their next door neighbor to paint her house because they didn't like living next to a yellow house. When the woman refused, they tried everything they could to get their way, including calling the police on her, reporting her to the city, taking her to court, and trying to form an HOA to force her to bend to their will, all to no avail, because, of course, the woman had a right to paint her house any color she chose.

Then, this:

"I recently had to go out of town for two weeks. When I got back, my house was gray. I actually almost drove past it because I'm so used to my yellow house."

The homeowner knew immediately who was responsible, but the neighbors have refused to answer their door when she knocks. The company who painted the house said they had a valid work order, and were paid in cash by a woman calling herself Ms. Jane Smith. Supposedly, because the neighbors never actually set foot on the property, they can't be charged with any crime.

Woman Comes Home From Vacation To Find Her Neighbor Had Done This. Wow.

She can have them charged with vandalism and trespassing. I wold immediately file charges. The painter can point out who hired him to do the work or he will be charged too. Just because they didn't physically do the work doesn't mean it isn't a chargeable offense. She should also sue them in court for damages to her property and mental stress.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:44 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
I’d start in civil court with a lawsuit against the painter who failed to have a “valid” contract with the “property owner”. This would force him to identify the redheads who he talked with and was paid by for the job. As for trespassing the neighbors my not have set foot on the property however they (if proven) could be held responsible for the painting. A civil case doesn’t require the police to arrest anyone however the defendant (painter) can be required to pay damages for everyday the gray paint remains on the house. The painter never had a contract with the property owner which makes him liable for damages.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’d start in civil court with a lawsuit against the painter who failed to have a “valid” contract with the “property owner”. This would force him to identify the redheads who he talked with and was paid by for the job. As for trespassing the neighbors my not have set foot on the property however they (if proven) could be held responsible for the painting. A civil case doesn’t require the police to arrest anyone however the defendant (painter) can be required to pay damages for everyday the gray paint remains on the house. The painter never had a contract with the property owner which makes him liable for damages.
Yes, this may not be a criminal matter, but certainly is a civil matter. Take the painter to court and they will identify who paid them or have to pay up themselves. Then sue the woman who hired them to paint the property of someone else. The woman whose house was painted should be able to receive her legal costs and damages and would probably draw a lot of attention to the matter. In fact, she could also go to the local tv stations, as they cover stories like this a lot. The painters would not want a lot of bad publicity.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:55 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
One of my neighbors has a house that is a neon chartreuse color. It's rather startling. I think I'd force the neighbors to pay to repaint, but instead of that pretty yellow, I'd develop a taste for neon chartreuse.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:02 AM

684 posts, read 514,221 times
I'd just paint the house different color on each side with gawd awful patterns and make the house stand out 100X times worse than it was before.

I'd also install an over abundance of X-mas lights all on the house and property and leave them up all year long and run them all night long each night. I'd also put 100 plastic flamingos in the yard and put a small kids pool out front too. Then I'd add some old tire flower pots along the front and plant weeds in them.

Then as soon as all of this was done Id post a nice copy of the news paper article in a display box out front for all to read showing what the neighbor did when I was out of town and then my response is as whats now seen. I'd then add to the bottom that this new look was inspired by those who couldn't leave their neighbors alone or appreciate a simple mild yellow house.

"Always be content with what there is because things could always be worse, and now they are" is what my final words would be.

Naw scratch that.... thats too much time, energy and money,

I'd just leave the house painted grey and move out. I'd then rent the house out to a few Sex Offenders who were required to put sings up in the yard "Sex Offender living here" and give these guys a year long rental rate of what it would cost to cover the property taxes and expenses. Let the neighbors home value drop like a rock and them coping with the fear of living next door to a couple of sex offenders

That should make them appreciate a yellow house much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events