Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 03:38 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the same ones that are outraged and offended would "celebrate" a if it was from transgenders or rainbow groups...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 03:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I'm sure the same ones that are outraged and offended would "celebrate" a if it was from transgenders or rainbow groups...
And I'm certain that's not at all a helpful comment. As a Scout leader I do take all of this very personally. This is my Council, and it is filled with wonderful & committed volunteers who work very hard to ensure a fun program for our Scouts. While the optics of this situation are certainly less than great, the scorn being heaped both on the young women from Hooters and the parents who raised concerns is completely out of line. And frankly I'm tired of trying to be nice about it. If you don't know anything about the Scouting program and have never donated a minute of your time to the youth who benefit from it, do us all a favor and just shut it.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:47 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Not necessarily, mainbrokerman. They could be religious fanatics who would be offended by both.

Me? I don't give a fig. People need to get over themselves.

I took my kids to a "Hooters" in South Carolina. There were other families there.

NO BIG DEAL.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:57 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Oh well I stand corrected. It has been a homophobic organization (has that changed?) and there were MANY child molestation issues. So I guess if the members are the organization then that does speak to the members.
My boys were in scouts while the rule about gay leaders was in place. I don't know if it ever kept any one out of our group. We had a lesbian couple who were parents to one boy. I only heard someone bring it up once and it was in a positive manner. Those ladies had adopted children that no one else would have adopted and we were happy to see them. It's a volunteer organization which means you volunteer. If you volunteer and don't just dump your kids off, it's not likely you would have to worry about someone molesting your kids. I think what bothers me most about the complaining parents is they were most likely the jerk parents who don't volunteer, dump their kids off, and then complain about the people who hustled and made it happen.

Hooters as a sponsor would get my attention, but I'd laugh because I think it is harmless particularly in this context. These girls are just waitresses who are supposedly better looking than average. There is a little bit of prestige there if a girl gets a spot. Now if the Hookers for Hillary crowd showed up, I might be offended.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 07-06-2016 at 04:17 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 04:26 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
My boys were in scouts while the rule about gay leaders was in place. I don't know if it ever kept any one out of our group. We had a lesbian couple who were parents to one boy. I only heard someone bring it up once and it was in a positive manner. Those ladies had adopted children that no one else would have adopted and we were happy to see them. It's a volunteer organization which means you volunteer. If you volunteer and don't just dump your kids off, it's not likely you would have to worry about someone molesting your kids. I think what bothers me most about the complaining parents is they were most likely the jerk parents who don't volunteer, dump their kids off, and then complain about the people who hustled and made it happen.

Hooters as a sponsor would get my attention, but I'd laugh because I think it is harmless particularly in this context. These girls are just waitresses who are supposedly better looking than average. There is a little bit of prestige there if a girl gets a spot. Now if the Hookers for Hillary crowd showed up, I might be offended.
I lived in the south and a lesbian couple tried to enroll their son (my son's best friend) and were told the boy could come but they weren't allowed to volunteer or come to events. They were also to instruct their son not to share that he had 2 mommies with the other kids. This was 4 years ago. I am sure it goes by group, but just as a vote with my $$$$, I don't join groups when I don't agree with their core values.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:40 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
I have been there and done that with Boy Scouts. It will be a day they remember for the rest of their lives--all that happened in the Boy Scouts--a great day--with the Boy Scouts. Let the parents fuss. I understand why. I did it too. The girls were decent, kind young women. I was wrong. The boys talked about it forever.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:07 PM

806 posts, read 876,366 times
I saw video of the camp and the young ladies were appropriately dressed , and the kids were having a ball . This is all that matters .

Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
I saw video of the camp and the young ladies were appropriately dressed , and the kids were having a ball . This is all that matters .
Its funny because the BSA said in their press release there was an error in judgement about the way the girls were dressed.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:38 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
All this fuss over some properly dressed woman who volunteered their time, meanwhile smut like this is on primetime tv!

https://youtu.be/0xOf-OghwWw

Shocking...

Old 07-06-2016, 09:38 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
While I applaud Hooters here, I can understand and don't criticize the parents' reactions either. Hooters is a sexualized business and I think parents are well within their right not to want their children (in this case, their young sons) around that at such a young age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events